THR Scheduled for surgery

@Creampuff Welcome to BoneSmart! I will get you added to our July hip group. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here for you!

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thank you! Looking forward to surgery with some trepidation. Two knees to follow in the coming years.

Welcome to BoneSmart. You are very fortunate to have found this forum prior to surgery. There is so much helpful information and wonderful, very supportive friends on here. I know for myself, they were always around to answer my questions, no matter how petty, and give me lots of support all through my recovery. I know you will find the same thing. I hope you can pull together every ounce of patience you have as it takes a lot to wait for surgery and then get through recovery. We want it all to happen instantly but that isn’t how it all works. You’ll do just fine. Sending good wishes your way!

Welcome @Creampuff. This is such a great site and it has helped me through my 4 surgeries. I have experienced having both knees replaced and both hips and the reduction of pain and ability to live life again fully is wonderful. Explore the site and the stories and if any questions pop into your mind, please ask. Lots of helpful people on the forum to offer suggestions and ideas.

The hip replacement will really help with your knee. I had the knees done first but at that point my hips were behaving and not causing any issues. The hip recovery is a bit easier than the knee and being able to walk without hip pain will assist with the knee.

I have a question about what to wear home from the hospital. I have some slip on Skechers in case I have swelling. What about the rest? Pants, shorts, skort, nightie?
What do you recommend?

I wore a Jersey shift dress that was loose and comfy.
It was easier to get into...

:) :-) (:you're welcome...I have heard many say they were loose joggers, shorts, etc. But I was able to throw the dress over my head myself and there was less rubbing on my anterior bandages.

Last edited:
It was Nov so I wore loose sweat pants and T shirt with sweat shirt over it. I wore my hospital socks home and did not bother with shoes even in Nov as I was being picked up at the door and no snow or wet to walk through - it was the easiest for me and I tend to live barefoot at home anyways. I did wear the slip proof socks at home (bought some extra pairs) as it was the easiest for me and comfy.

The day is getting closer. I see my nurse practitioner next week for surgical clearance. I had preop testing at the hospital on the 6th. Next Friday afternoon I go for my Covid test, a new requirement for the hospital I'm using. My surgery hasn't been approved by insurance yet but should be. I have all the gadgets I need and have my post op therapy scheduled. Sometimes I still ask myself why I'm doing this. I need this hip and then 2 knees. I really didn't see it coming! Denial!

I have to admit that I knew about my knees needing replacing for years as they degenerated but the hips caught me totally unaware and a bit angry at my body. The only thing I can say now that all joints are replaced is that life is much better and so is my mood without that pain. My husband even says he loves seeing me move around the house without pain and moving quickly. It takes time but good things do wait for us to enjoy at the end of the recovery journey.

Hello @Creampuff
Will be thinking of you tomorrow as you begin the journey. Wishing you well and will look forward to following your recovery on the healing side.
See you there soon! :wave:

Blessings for a smooth and uneventful surgery with your team finding the perfect pain control post op. Looking back, it seems the pre op stuff was the big hurdle. Funny thing to say but it’s much brighter on the recovery side. See you there when you’re up to it. ❤️

Sending wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control. Soon you will be on the shiny side (recovery). I actually set up my recovery thread the evening before my surgery so it would be waiting for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017