THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Here's hoping the meloxicam relieves your pain, @Schaargi. And good for you for telling the surgeon how you felt about his manner; it seems like he really responded well to your assertiveness. Though it certainly does sound like a second opinion is in order...
 
Not much to report this week except significant hemming and hawing over my labral tear diagnosis.

I'm wrestling with the decision to try arthroscopy as a bridge before I have my hip replaced. I'm leaning toward having the arthroscopy despite my mild osteoarthritis and my age (57) because the pain has overwhelmed my daily life.

I'm typing this out to see if I can make some sense of it. Writing things out helps me make decisions. Any comments from you all are welcome!

A result of the labral tear is stabbing pain, but it's unpredictable. It's usually ok in the morning but by the evening, I'm reaching for countertops for support. Merely walking around the house, making meals, making the bed and taking care of my geriatric dog aggravates it and puts me at risk for a pain level 10 stabbing incident. It feels like something is STUCK. I'm pretty much home bound except for medical appointments and quick errands.

It has also slowed my progression rehabbing my other hip (almost a year out from THR with nerve damage complications). I can't do any significant activities.

Once I have a stabbing pain incident (which happens seemingly at random) it's sensitive for several days, with any weight bearing, shifting weight, turning or bending resulting in another stab. Many stabs are at a pain level 9 or 10.

I am trying gentle stretches, but the stabbing kicks in before I can get a stretch. My PT exercises are only floor exercises, as weight bearing aggravates it. I stretch (full body),and practice gentle, meditative yoga (which includes core exercises) every day, in addition to the PT exercises as tolerated.

I need to get back to my life! I have cousins in Europe I want to visit but I can't do it with the stabbing. I also don't want to find out my labral repair is failing while I'm visiting a remote mountain village in Greece.

Gah. I hate making big decisions. My current plan is to get on the surgeon's schedule in the fall and gather second and third opinions in the meantime.

Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
@Schaargi, I don't have a lot of experience so I'm not sure my comments count for much, but here goes..

the pain has overwhelmed my daily life.
I'm pretty much home bound except for medical appointments and quick errands.
I can't do any significant activities.
I need to get back to my life!

When I read what you've written above, it almost seems like you've answered your own question, and that you believe you need to do something. Even though your surgeon said sometimes things like this "just go away," it sounds like it's had lots of time to go away and it hasn't.

It seems to me your plan is totally reasonable (i.e., to get the labral tear repair scheduled and seek at least one more opinion in the meantime.) From what you've posted, it sounded like the only downside of going ahead with the labral repair is that it might not relieve your pain completely...but that would still be a big improvement, no?

Hoping as always that you'll find relief from pain as soon as possible!
 
Thanks, @Sashimu

Apparently, the chances of having to get a THR within 2 years is about 30% for my age group. It's so scary, and there are so many people who are living with labral tears and can manage, so I'm feeling like I'm not doing enough. Or something.

I will continue to overthink this, because it's what I do. :umm:
 
Ha! Overthinking is also one of my specialties.... Sure I'd be doing the same if I were in your shoes.
 
@Schaargi I suspect that how severe a person's symptoms are depends on many factors such as where exactly the tear is located, how extensive the tear is, how much of the labrum has been worn away already, etc.

The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the top of the hip socket. It's usually very damaged by the time a hip replacement is needed. Arthritis can wear it away and it can have tears that compromise it's ability to cushion the joint.

Perhaps the arthroscopic procedure can repair the tear - and I think a second opinion would be a good idea. Try to find a surgeon who is not associated with your current surgeon. I don't know that you are "over thinking" - I'd say you were trying to be a well informed patient and looking out for your best interests as regards your health!
 
Hi again, @Schaargi. I just spoke with my surgeon, which I'm going to post about on my own thread, but he mentioned something that might be relevant to your situation.

He said that the next step for me if things don't improve would be an injection, which is what I expected to hear, but rather than cortisone, he suggested platelet-rich plasma, PRP. After the call I googled it, and it sounds like it's had promising results for both tendonitis and labral tears. I also searched for it on this forum and I see there are some people who have experience with it. Maybe something to look into?
 
Thanks @Sashimu!

Coincidentally, one if the surgeons I am considering for a second opinion performs that service. I will look in on it! :loveshwr:
 
Thanks, @djklaugh

I will seek a second and maybe a third opinion.

My surgeon suggested that, for a second opinion, I could go two ways. If I want a hip replacement (even though I show very little arthritis), I should go to someone who does replacements. If I'm interested in arthroscopy, I should head that way.

He recommended another surgeon who specializes in labral repair, reconstruction and hip preservation. I consulted him for my other hip and he was reluctant to do the labral repair or reconstruction because of my age and the fact that I had some arthritis going on (mild). That's how I ended up with my first THR.

This particular surgeon did a fellowship at the Steadman Clinic, a top-notch joint preservation hospital. Even though my 1st surgeon recommended him, I think he's a good choice for a second opinion on labral repair.

The clincher is that the imaging dies not show significant arthritis, so that isn't what is tearing the labrum. My surgeon said it likely had too much pressure on it while rehabbing the other hip and dealing with the nerve damage issue.

Thanks for listening. I'm one of those people who mull over decisions for a while and I like a lot of information before charging in.
 
Keeping my fingers crossed here-- I think the Meloxicam is helping! It's not a huge difference, but it seems that the big, stabbing zings are somewhat fewer and somewhat lower in pain level. My surgeon wants me to do Meloxicam for 2 weeks, and then have one week off for my liver and kidneys to take a break. I have 4 more days to go with the Meloxicam.

I've had three days in a row with minimal pain so I got up the gumption and went for a walk today! Outside! It was 10 minutes and involved a little hill. This is a big deal. I have not had a walk since November because of the random stabbing pains.

This week I have an appointment for a second opinion on the right hip labral tear, and my 1-year followup for my left THR. Things are looking up.
 
Woke up this morning and am trying to get psyched up to go to the pool. This is a huge step for me and I'm honestly a bit terrified.

I am a lifelong swimmer and former synchronized swimming coach. I haven't been swimming in 2 years--kicking made my left hip hurt, so I gradually stopped. Now I'm not worried about my left (post surgery) hip. :)

I'm just listing my fears here in hopes of alleviating them...
1. Where to put my cane so it's near the step-in stairs and won't get knocked around by the throngs of kids. It's 86 degrees out and certainly crowded.
2. What if I go on autopilot and start swimming and injure my right hip? What if it hurts so much I cry out? Or if I don't figure it out until trying to get out of the pool and I can't climb the steps (there is a railing).
3. What if I slip and fall or get jostled by the kids?
4. What if I can't get out?
5. (This is the big one for me, so bear with me) What if everyone is looking at me? Since the last time my pool buddies saw me, I have gained 15 pounds (significant on my 5 ft 3 frame) and my legs are flabby and weak. One is skinnier than the other. I am walking with a cane.

I'm usually the active athletic one at the pool. I'm so scared and self-conscious.

Okay. My fears are documented. I realize most of them won't come to fruition. I am really emotional about this. I will let you all know how it goes...
 
@Schaargi I'm happy to see you're feeling somewhat better and getting to move around.

Love the idea of the pool, was my favorite thing to do after my hip replacement. But, you have to watch as it's so easy to overdo because it feels so good and you usually don't realize it until you get out. Just kind of walk around, float around and be real easy the first few times.

I used to lay my towel and cane together next to the steps/railing of the pool so it was close by. You mention having pool buddies so I'm sure if you were actually having trouble getting out of the pool they would be happy to help. Sometimes we just have to ask for/accept help. :friends:I doubt that anyone is really going to notice any weight you may have put on as I think most of us are too busy worrying about our own weight. :heehee:
 
@Schaargi
i went to the pool on Saturday and had some similar worries about getting in and out and being jostled. I found an easy entry and exit spot with steps and two rails. I didn’t swim too much (swimming Is not so much my thing), but walked and moved around quite a bit which felt great. Going again soon.
Hope it goes well!
 
I did it!

Getting a close parking space was tricky and there weren't chairs available on one side of the pool so I had to go to the other side to get a chair. Kids running around everywhere.

My pool buddies were there (they are all in their 80s - I'm 57). Some of them had had difficulties this year, too. One had COVID and has residual lung issues. Another is having hip issues. They were all supportive. I saw some former students (I was a librarian until last year) but successfully avoided them because of the crowd.

I decided to leave my cane at my chair instead of taking it over to the stairs. Getting in was a little tricky because there is just one shaky railing and the stairs are super steep. Once I was in, it was good. I didn't need to worry about losing myself and taking off to swim because the pool was, literally, standing room only. So I walked and hopped around, did some side steps, and tried a few lateral leg lifts (those weren't good). Thanks, @HelenaM for the reminder not to overdo it.

Getting out was rough. The steps are each a foot tall, which was rough on my weak legs. Getting back to my chair was fine. Yay!

I solved the self-conscious issue by taking off my glasses (ha ha!l). Head in the sand, right?

So a good experience. I will do it again soon. I'd rather the pool not be crowded but I don't have control over that. Whew! That was a big step for me and very emotional.
 
Had a consultation for a second opinion, and boy, was it different!

I brought my MRI disc with me and the PA and the surgeon studied it together. Then the PA came in to talk to me. She was AWESOME. She spent quite a bit of time with me, showing me the x-rays and the MRI, stopping for questions and answering them.

They concluded that I have minor dysplasia (I knew that), but the rest of the interpretation was different than the first surgeon. She said my labral tear is extensive, and I have some swelling in the cartilage and some arthritis. She did not think a labral repair would do the trick. She explained a labral reconstruction, which would be more reliable, but thought that my hip dysplasia would put the new labrum at risk for failure. They have had some success with PAO surgery to address dysplasia, but that would mean two surgeries and still needing a hip replacement down the road due to arthritis.

Ugh. So back to a possible hip replacement. She told me that I had a lot going on in this hip and recommended that I get a third opinion from a hip specialist. She gave me one name and I have another name that I had wanted to investigate.

She thinks my pain level matches what the imaging shows and that made me feel better-- like I'm not just being a baby. I'm so glad I went. The investigation continues...
 
Wow, that sounds like a very thorough and convincing analysis, @Schaargi. It will be interesting to hear what the other surgeons have to say, compared to this. Nice if they agree!

I'm also glad to hear that meloxicam may be working for you. Not something I've ever tried, though I've given it to my cat!
 
Meloxicam really helped me for awhile. give it a few weeks. Hope you have better life and health using this med.
 
Today is the one-year anniversary of my left THR. I can't believe it's been a year.

I met with my surgeon today. Everything looks good on the x-rays. My nerve damage seems to be healed--i still have a ways to go to strengthen the muscles that atrophied while the nerve was angry.

I asked the surgeon about the yoga poses I've been having trouble with-- reclined bound angle pose, tree pose, Warrior 1, and also plies or sumo squats. He told me not to do them because it might dislocate my hip. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in that. I thought I had no restrictions and here they are. :boohoo: I don't know if I should have asked him more specifics before I got the surgery. Reclined bound angle, tree and Warrior 1 are pretty basic yoga poses. I am, yet again, needing to lower my expectations. I see other hippies doing these poses. I don't understand.

So, a bittersweet anniversary. I'm expecting to keep healing in the next year.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom