Guest viewing is limited

Scaredy cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys! I had a breaking point last night just hurting so bad I had a blubbering breakdown- never had one but close to 8 years or so of pain and I'm tapped out- I am thankful for finding this forum- so many people are putting my mind at ease- I'm one month out today! I won't know what it's like to not gimp around and have lots of pain-


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So funny, one of the things I had to unlearn was limping. My body had gotten so used to being in pain and compensating that I found, once I was walking unaided, that I was still limping but wasn't in pain. I had to concentrate on walking slowly and properly to train out the limp. :)
 
Lol I was just talking to my husband- he said one day your gonna cry because your not in pain- lol I can say I only hope- I had to start using a cane or walker here at the house- I feel ridiculous but it does make my life easier until I get my robo hip


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my surgery in mid-April 2016 (double hip replacement) and feel absolutely awesome!

I was not diagnosed until February of this year as needing hip replacements and must say that I was initially reluctant to get on the surgical schedule during that 1st appointment with the ortho surgeon. He was adamant that my hips were so bad that I needed surgery immediately. So, the first opening in the calendar was April 18, 2016. I took it. I think my age (~50) + the fact that I had -0- hip pain -- all of my pain was legs + lower back -- led to an ortho surgeon being the last specialist my GP had me see after years of seeing many different other specialists looking for the reason(s) that I could barely walk + had excruciating leg + back pain.

Then I thought (during the Feb 2016 appointment with ortho surgeon)... I literally can't go on much longer as I am now -- I couldn't stand up for more than 10 seconds; I cannot walk without a walker (could not walk at all even with a cane); was in super-severe pain that 120mg of Oxycontin 2x/day would not even touch; was a complete burden to my family and friends -- requiring help for something as simple as getting a glass of water, which was nearly & usually impossible for me to do on my own. Life was awful + no quality of life. I honestly thought a wheelchair was in my immediate future.

So here I am now just 3 months post-surgery able to do everything for myself (including putting on my own socks + shoes!); able to get the mail; able to take the trash + recycle buckets to the curb; run to the grocery store (and walk throughout the whole store).

I stopped using a walker about 2 weeks post-op; still using a cane mostly for balance and just in case I trip. Usually though, I forget the cane in another room or across the room I am currently in. Basically, I don't need it anymore.

I'm not suggesting this -- as it goes against what everyone preaches -- but I did little-to-none physical therapy. I dreaded the days that the PT would come to the house and finally ~3 weeks post-op, I politely told her that I was done. I hate PT and honestly got nothing out of it and felt that it was pointless. But that was me -- certainly not for everyone who just had hip replacement(s). Most will tell you that PT is #1 super important, but it just never seemed to do anything for me.

My recovery has been nothing short of miraculous -- so much so, I went out searching for & got a part time accounting job after not working for many years. (I worked via online from home, but no going to the office for years). Now, I am in the office at least 3 days/week and look forward to it.

I was scared prior to the surgery and certainly apprehensive -- but all I can tell you is that in a few months, you will be convinced that going through with the surgery was the best decision made of your life.

GOOD LUCK!

Sincerely,
John

p.s. I joined this forum tonight for the sole purpose of being able to reply to your post!
 
I'm not suggesting this -- as it goes against what everyone preaches -- but I did little-to-none physical therapy.
I suggest it all the time so you're right on target with me! I maintain the same for knees which is often an even bigger no-no! But it works then too!
Most will tell you that PT is #1 super important, but it just never seemed to do anything for me.
My stance is this: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@jcgriff2 I could have written your sad story as my own. It took years for a correct diagnosis for me & I also declined PT and am doing excellent (in my opinion) just walking and doing household this-and-that chores. I won't be running any marathons, but that was not my goal. My goal was to get rid of the awful pain....and miraculously ALL the pre-surgery pain is now gone! Even the sciatica! Getting the hip replacement was, by far, the best thing I ever did for myself!
 
@Jillians I, too was absolutely petrified before surgery! I had never had surgery before and was so afraid of the unknown. I wanted so badly to call the whole thing off, but I was in such pain that ANYTHING was worth a try. I pitched such a wussy-fit while being prepped for the procedure, that I am embarrassed for myself. To my surprise, the spinal was no big deal at all. I was so relieved and happy when I woke up alive and well after surgery. Recovery is NOTHING compared to pre-surgery pain! Even after 8 months, I am still amazed that I can walk without limping and without pain! For me it was a miracle surgery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jillians I was also terrified before the surgery. I used to wake up every morning with a terrible feeling of dread. The pain and stiffness told me that the surgery was absolutely necessary, but it didn't stop me worrying. Coming on Bonesmart and reading positive stories of recovery was a massive help. I found everyone on here to be so encouraging, that by the time op day came, I actually felt calmer. Making plans for post-op also helped quite a lot - I did some shopping and felt I got well-prepared. Having said that, once surgery was over, all the things that had worried me didn't seem so important. For example, I dreaded sleeping on my back, and I haven't really enjoyed it, but it's actually no big deal! I am so happy I had it done. I'm just over 4 weeks out and already walking further than I could pre-op and with NO PAIN! I have taken on board all the good advice about PT and really done nothing apart from walking, a little further each day. It's been absolutely fine. I agree with @GIMPY GAL that it's miracle surgery!

On a practical note - it you are really anxious on the day of surgery, ask if you can have something to calm you down. I did this and they gave me a couple of temazepam which worked liked a dream. :chillpill:
 
Scared cat I totally understand how scared you are. I've had several joint surgery's each time I was terrified. But I always no I'm in great hands and it will be OK. I pray a lot. And something seems to happen as soon as I no another surgery is neat I stay so busy its almost like I'm possessed by the cleaning and organized fairy. It takes my mind off the pain and if all else fails there's always cooking.:rofsign::angel:take care and your in my prayers
 
You guys light up my life right now- I am excited about the possibilities and trying to get everything in order- surgery is on my youngest first day of school[emoji16]

I've read so many things like" I leaned over to get my spinal and woke up with a new hip- I pray it goes just like that- you guys have educated me and really give me hope- right now I've had to use my walker around the house lol I'm like hi my names Jillian- I'm 39 and here's my walker lol-


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@GimpyGal I'm hoping that is my recovery- I already have log leg- it's been 3 years since I could tie my shoe and right now my poor husband helps me move this appendage around when I get into bed- I have no idea what to expect as far as pain I just know right now is no fun- I am going to a pain specialist in the morning- they have me on Percocet but it does nothing- I've never been on any pain medication so we will see what they say as far as help for 1 month


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bizzylizzie thank you- I m hoping I'll troop on through- once I get to the hospital next month I'm asking for that amnesia medication- I've had it 2 times before and it worked like a charm lol I remember looking at my husband and then waking up from surgery


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jcgrff2
Thank you for joining- it's been an ongoing struggle since I turned 30! I m do thankful for your information and story[emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm a year out from my THR. This waiting right now for you is the worst! I was a nut case and thankfully had all these nice bonesmart people to talk me off the ledge. :shocked: In an earlier post you said "I had a dream I woke up from surgery and all the pain was gone". Well for me, that was more or less the case. There was discomfort during recovery, but you ice and elevate and take your meds to keep ahead of any pain and you're on the way. I was kind of emotional afterward too. All the pain and the waiting then it's finally done but you're still scared. Again, I listened and learned from my Bonesmart angels. :angel: What's really cool is that when I was wide awake in the middle of the night, it was daytime for all the Bonesmarties in the UK, so there was always someone there for me. I am so happy now to have my life back and you will have yours back too. Just be kind to yourself, and patient.
 
@Jillians I am praying for you as soon as I am done with this post. That is really all I can say tonight because, I am running out of time and need to start my recovery thread. I have to get up at 4:00 am because, surgery is tomorrow bright and early. Hugs to you and I will be praying and sending you good vibes again when I am done with surgery and my brain is working again. :snork:
 
I'm so following you!!!! Best of luck to you- I'm a wreck right not I don't know what is the lack of sleep- the getting everything ready- the anticipation of not knowing- plus it will be on my 7th graders first day of school[emoji15]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to my hip class yesterday and pre admission testing today and now I wait for the 22nd-

So anxious but it seems I'm in great hands the hospital has won many awards and they have a great and I say unusual program- I will be doing group therapy - that's just weird for me lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you're having AMIS (anterior minimally invasive surgery) approach, it really is not as bad as we make it out to be. Have a look at my recovery thread and you'll see that the recovery has been much easier than I expected. I'm day 9 post op and stopped all my pain meds already. Only taking blood thinners now.

You'll be up and at it quicker than you realise!

All the best for the 22nd!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi I'm having posterior approach- I have a collapse femoral head and I forget the name but the bone has died in the head region- so he said he will need to do posterior approach


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm having posterior approach- I have a collapse femoral head and I forget the name but the bone has died in the head region- so he said he will need to do posterior approach
My left hip was in the same shape - joint collapsed and AVN. I also had posterior for that one and really had no problems with any temporary restrictions.

Remember that literally every THR recovery is different. Approach has no impact on recovery - it's all about how your body deals with the trauma of the procedure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom