Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
shrinkette I'm so sorry you are having a blue period. Don't you wish we could just turn those off by saying "well, this isn't getting me anywhere, so I"ll quit?" I've never learned to do that, tho I do know people who seem to be able to do it. I understand the doldrums -- I was in the doldrums most of the time pre-surgery (actually it was the panicky doldrums, where you just want to jump out of your skin). Sure wish there were a pill for that.

A lot of my doldrums was because my world had shrunk so (not that it has gotten any larger yet) and because of pain and immobility I couldn't DO anything to get my mind off it, it just got worse and worse, and I became way too self absorbed (don't have anything else to get absorbed in). And the more I brood the worse I get and so I worry about everything. I often wonder if I don't have a couple of screws loose (and not the ones in my hips).

Now it is frustrating because I am feeling quite a bit better physically, but still under doctor's orders not to do anything much and to use the walker, etc., and my hand is messed up from the walker. So I just kind of stare at the walls or watch dumb stuff on netflix. Don't even know what I'll do for Thanksgiving. Heather doesn't know if Bear will be home or not, and she's planning to go up to see her Mom if he doesn't come home. She asked me if I wanted to go, but I doubt I will, what with the walker and all and the fact it is a long car ride up to Colorado and I have to be so careful how and where I sit and for how long. Likely to be a lot of snow up where they live anyway and I sure don't want to battle snow and ice in a walker, or risk a fall.

Please excuse bada typing -- right hand is largely numb. Chiro says it'll probably stay mostly that way until I'm off the walker -- pressure on nerves in the wrist, etc., and slightly hunched posture and weight on arms with walker, which messes up neck and shoulders. Just as I figured. YUCK.

I do hope you can feel a bit better thru the holidays, and then you won't have long to wait. My hope is that a lot of the other pain you are feeling is because of the bad hip. My knee on the left was awfully painful before the THR on that side, but much better after and does not really hurt much at all now. And the right one seems to be getting better, as well. I do try to remember that all my joints, except hips, are 67-1/2 years old and I can't expect them to feel like they did when I was 25, more's the pity.

Your cats are beautiful -- I am so sorry the one passed away. Are you going to adopt another one? The Balinese is gorgeous. I've never known a Balinese before. I've known several Siamese, and those seemed to be a bit ill-tempered and very standoffish. I had cats as a young woman, but have now had dogs for years and years.

Anyway, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope your doldrums lighten.

Love,

Milli
 
Butterfly. Thank you SO much for your empathetic response, as always. You have mentioned your "shrunken world" before, which I can totally identify with. Increasing pain > less activity > more isolation > shrunken world. Although I still like to do the driving -- probably because it's one of the things I CAN still do -- the only places I go to are restaurants (if there's no long walk, does have a place to sit/wait, and I'm not limited to a booth); movies (now using a wheelchair because walk is too long); & doctors' offices. Pathetic, isn't it? I drive to other places where we do errands -- Costco, supermarket, etc., but hubby gets out & I wait in car. I'm getting increasingly less mobile.

I know I could've had this surgery earlier, but I rationalized waiting until January for insurance purposes that may not even exist -- and fear.
Now that "good" leg is becoming painful (especially when getting up in morning -- what is THAT about? -- I'm even more panicky. You should know: you had both done. Now it feels like I can't rely on that leg.

So. I especially appreciate your long reply in view of your hand problems which you needed like a third armpit!! So sorry about that, as well as the other aches & pains you've described. I, too, have some shoulder issues which I never had before using the walker. Must be related. Before surgery, did you have any problems standing straight up? It's painful when I do try, so I seem to be bent over. Ugh!!

Thanksgiving: I think you're wise to avoid possible snow in CO. why look for trouble unless being there is a must for you. Who is Bear? Your son, I'm assuming. Does he work out of town? I can't imagine walking on snow/ice... can barely make it on flat tile or pavement.
If your DIL does go, can you maybe be invited somewhere? If nothing else, it will go down in Milli history as the ThanKsgiving the year I had my hips done. Really just another Thursday -- what did the Pilgrims know, anyway? LOL.

Oh, Milli. I understand about not focussing. I find that with all of this I have little patience & difficulty with attention span. I can't tolerate discussions that go on too long and get intolerant & bored easily. I used to be a "phone person"... liked to chat. No more for too long. I get antsy. I AM still able to read books & this is my primary pleasure. You read, too, right? Someday, lets swap fav authors & see if we read the same stuff.

How much do you get out, if at all? Doesn't sound like much. You drive, right? Or did, pre-op?

How are your wonderful doggie friends? Nothing like pets. Thanks for the kind words about Îra, my cat. He is just so dog-like'!! VERY affectionate & communicative, although not like a Siamese who are TOO vocal. Ira is quiet unless he has something to comment on in a kind of conversational way. (No, I'm not a crazy cat lady!!).

Anyway, potty calls & it takes awhile to get there, so ciao for now. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend.

Ellen
 
Hi shrinkette, thanks for dropping by my thread. As you had asked a question, it is best if I come back to your thread and copy in the question and answer it here.. :) it helps to keep your progress in context.

Question: I'm sure you must've addressed this somewhere, but what are your thoughts on almond milk? I would be buying, not making it, since I'm unable to do much of anything these days.

Also, I've read the articles on constipation. This is an ongoing problem with me & I'm afraid that it will only get worse after taking iron & the pain meds. I believe my very sedentary lifestyle (of necessity due to pain) contributes to a lot of it. I am now drinking 5 oz. of prune juice daily, about 16 oz of extra water daily, & taking 3 Colace stool softeners every evening (max adult daily dose). Saw a little improvement last night, but it's getting disheartening & exhausting in its own way. No other GI problems. Any ideas?


As you know, Food nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine. Waste is massaged down the length of the large intestine by waves of muscular contractions (peristalsis). Once the excess water is removed, the waste is temporarily stored in the rectum. Water makes up about three quarters of faecal content, while the rest is composed of solids, including undigested fibre, intestinal bacteria and dietary fats.

Constipation can be caused by many different lifestyle factors that often work in combination and you may have a few of these happening, low fibre diet (I see you are drinking prune juice, but maybe you need the actual fibre of the prunes as well).

As fibre is indigestible, it adds bulk to the faeces, making it more easily pushed along with the peristalsis action. There are two broad types of fibre, soluble and insoluble.

Soluble fibre helps to soften the faeces and good sources of soluble fibre include, legumes, beans, fruits and vegetables. Insoluble fibre adds the bulk to the faeces, helping it to move more quickly through the bowel and good sources of insoluble fibre are in wheat bran, whole grain breads and whole grain cereals.

The faeces will only plump up with water and constipation can even occur with a high fibre diet if there is insufficient water intake. So maybe you could increase your fibre both types and your fluid intake. It doesn't have to be just water (not coffee though) herbal teas, even try some hot water with lemon juice first thing in the morning. Lots of fresh fruit salad (this provides good fibre and fluid) allbran on your morning cereal with some stewed prunes.

It is a catch twenty two also as you are restricted with mobility and waiting for hip number two and a sedentary lifestyle adds to the problem as although the peristalsis action works normally in our body, physical movement helps and that is not easy for you I guess.

Then as you say you have the issue with meds and your iron supplements, even non magnesium antacids are know to slow bowel movements.

So in addition to my suggestions above I would consider the following:

Increase the fibre as mentioned above and add Psyllium, which is a soluble fiber used primarily as a gentle bulk forming laxative in products such as Metamucil. It comes from a shrub like herb called Plantago ovata that grows worldwide. Psyllium can help relieve both constipation and diarrhea, and is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, and other intestinal problems. You should be able to get Metamucil at a pharmacy, we have it in Australia, so just ask for Psyllium and I am sure you will have the equivalent..

Consider adding a Magnesium supplement, powder if you can get it. Be careful with that as too much will send you in the opposite direction.. Check out my article on Magnesium is a star in the nutritional library :)

Consider probiotics, I also have an article about these wonderful little healthy bacteria for the digestive system..

With the legumes, I make a meal which has red lentils, carrots (lots of good fibre), celery, potatoes, and a tomato base.. Another quick meal I make is canned white beans and butter beans (rinse well to remove excess sodium) add two small tins of spring water tuna and a tomato base sauce, mix, heat and serve. The beans are a fabulous source of fibre!

Try the green smoothies, there is a thread in the social room that I started to encourage ideas for recipes. If you can get coconut water which doesn't have heaps of additives, that is a good base for your smoothies. It provides fabulous electrolytes and the wonderful medium chain fatty acids!

Hopefully, some of these suggestions may help.. It would be great if we can get you off the max dose of stool softeners with nutrition without having to resort to OTC laxatives, which can be severe on the system and you have enough going on already..

No problem, buying good quality almond milk :)

Let me know, tag me :)
 
Poppet Thank you so much for the thorough response. Really appreciate it. I'm actually not waiting on hip #2 -- still waiting for hip #1!!

Yes, I can get Metamucil here, which I will do. Will add more fluids, try stewed prunes (ugh), more fiber of both types, and go from there. I often use a bran cereal in the morning with blueberries or other fruit, so I'm on the right track there. I'll keep plugging along (or should I say UNplugging!). Many, many thanks again.
 
Poppet I can get Metamucil in capsule, powder, & wafer varieties. I prefer the idea of just swallowing a capsule -- any thoughts? Can Metamucil be harmful? Thanks!
 
shrinkette On the metamucil -- I've read that if you are going to take a capsule, to take it with lots of water to wash it down so it doesn't swell up before it gets where it needs to swell up. ALSO, I've found that Wal-Mart has a stool softener with a little bit of mild laxative in it that helps a lot, better than most anything else, and doesn't cause cramps or urgency and for me, at least, doesn't seem to cause dependency.

For the last couple months before my surgery, I went practically nowhere -- just doctors and the drive-through pharmacy. My DIL would come and go to the grocery with me. Even though I could and did drive before the first surgery, I couldn't get the groceries into the house on my own. Still pretty much the same, though I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't been released to drive yet. The second surgery was on my right hip (the driving leg). I'm pretty sure I could drive just fine, but worry about getting into my car without doing damage. I have a little Saturn and it is pretty low. So the day I can drive again will be a great celebration! I did cheat and drive once right before my second surgery, to go up and get my toenails trimmed -- they were threatening to ingrow and Heather couldn't take me. It wasn't far, and one of the ladies at the place helped me out of and back into the car, so I made it OK.

We went to the grocery store today and I was able to WALK and push the cart (leaning a bit on the cart, of course). WOW!

Don't worry too much about the pain in the other leg until you get this one fixed. I had terrible pain in both knees before the surgeries. The OS said a lot of times it resolves after you get the really bad joint fixed -- it's referred pain-- and he was right. BUT, if the second hip is going south, get it fixed right away so you can basically recover from both at once and get it over with. I'm so glad I did it that way.

Bear is technically my stepson (from my ex-husband), but he is the child of my heart if not of my body and we have always been very close. He calls me mom and I call him my son and I love him as much as if he were biologically my own. He has always treated me the same, and so does his family. The kids call me gramma. There are very weird and complicated relationships in this family and we long ago gave up trying to figure out who was what to whom and we are just family. Works for us. Heather, Bear's wife, is a joy and a Godsend to me. Bear works on wind and steam turbines and is often out of town for extended periods.

My doggies are doing fine. Grandsons took them for a long walk today and I thought the dogs were going to knock over furniture when they saw the leashes come out. I got out of the way so I wouldn't get knocked over. Emily, who is a bit of a tank, gets excited and just crashes around, jumping up and spinning around, even though she is about 11 and weighs about 85 or 90 pounds. So she is a force to be reckoned with when she sees that leash. I used to walk them, but haven't been able to for a couple years.

Ira is gorgeous! You said he talks to you? Harold talks to me, too. Does Ira tell you when he wants to be fed? Harold will come in and talk to me about that. Emily just tosses her dish at me.

Well, I better get off of here and rest my hand. It is getting a little better. I'm going to try to go back to the chiro next week. Some of the problem is the carpal tunnel, and some is the neck and shoulders from hunching (yes, I hunch, too) over that blankety-blank walker.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi shrinkette thanks for tagging me :)

It is better if you get the powder Metamucil, you can get it flavored and stir it into a glass of water, then sip another glass of water..

Try and stay clear of laxatives though. If you have a predisposition to having constipation problems, laxatives can be too harsh and you will end up with the opposite problem :)

Increase the fibre in your diet as I write and eventually you will get consistent natural bowel movements.. Let me know :)
 
Hey guys, my hubby has to put my shoes and socks on. Got on so well with first hip having the second one done this Thursday. Wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be :)
 
Poppet Thanks for your kind and timely responses to my "plugged up" problem, just to be polite. Actually, I had started on a better regime in the week before I wrote you, adding water, the stool softeners (non-laxative), more fiber with fruits/veggies, daily prune juice, bran, etc. I'd like to avoid the Metamucil route if I can. Anyway, since I wrote, I am pleased to report all systems go... Excellent, fabulous, easy results -- not to be too graphic. My history is one of not being consistent, but this is one place where I'll have to bite the bullet and do what I gotta do since it's working. Thank you, my dear Poppet, for your wisdom and knowledge. :)
 
Anybody know whether you can continue to take sleep aids like Ambien once you're on the pain meds, or are they contraindicated? Or do you just not need them because the meds & energy drain make you sleep -- somewhat? I have a feeling this is a silly question. :umm:
 
Sorry shrinkette, anyway I was given Ambien to take after my mastectomy, also hydrocodone round the clock, and a muscle relaxer that I can't remember the name of, also antibiotics. I slept very well with the Ambien, in fact really looked forward to it because I had not been getting great sleep even before my mastectomy, due to hip pain, snoring dogs, and getting older :groan: Since my THR I have been taking oxycodone only, he didn't prescribe a sleeping pill but I could have asked. I also had a few leftover, but have not needed them at all, I have been sleeping great! It is amazing how well I have slept now that the deep bone pain is gone!:sleep: So you may not need it! But your dr will have your best interests in sight, he will want you to get good rest.
 
shrinkette, So pleased all systems ago!

I would suggest you check with your OS or GP before you add a different class of drugs to your pain protocol meds. :) we don't know your full medical history therefore I would not consider it wise of me to discuss.
 
sharonslp Hello. I don't believe we've exchanged any posts except maybe once, but I've read yours to other members, and there's just something about your responses that's special to me. Don't know if it's because you used an "ethnic" reference (bar-mitzvah?) with which I positively identified or what's, but anyway...

Will have surgery on left hip, but in last week or so I have acquired an ache in right buttock. This is new... Never had it throughout weeks of right knee rehab last Feb. or since. It's in the leg I rely on for standing & most weight-bearing, so I'm wondering if it's showing the effects of compensation. I already know that the joint is also very arthritic, but until now it hasn't been annoying or painful. Now -- OY!

My question: how do you manage function-wise aafter a THR if the non-operated side is painful when walking? This must happen frequently, judging by all those who've had both hips done at different times. I'm just wondering how much it will impede the recovery process. Or -- maybe it will self-resolve once the LLD is fixed as part if the THR and my pelvis kind of adjusts itself? Possible? Thanks so much... You always seem so comforting, caring & knowledgeable. :)
 
Ellen, thank you for your kind words. I do my best.

You are asking a good question, but it's also one that has so many variables it becomes impossible to answer with any degree of real knowledge. I could postulate a whole bunch of possibilities:
1. You have the dreaded quadruple whammy of OA in both hips and both knees. (And it sounds like maybe shoulders too. Where else? Everywhere. Oh, we hates this!!!!) So you get flare-ups of pain in all kinds of places, and which ones are referred pain is simply a guess, and where is it being referred from...also a guess.
2. You've already had surgery for one knee. You're still in the first year of recovery, which we all know can take a full year or more....at least it does for hips...I am assuming the same for knees. You've been making continual adjustments as you go through healing from that surgery, and you are still dependent on a walker which puts its own kind of stresses on your skeletal structure.
3. You are awaiting surgery on your left hip. Presumably then, your left hip is in a lot of pain. To compensate for this, your gait tries to adjust. This puts stresses on both your left and right hip. As you state, you use your right leg for standing and weight-bearing. That ache in the buttock sounds like glute muscles complaining. Are you getting any shooting pains down the leg as well...suggesting sciatic nerve issues?....or is it confined to the buttock? There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the glute muscles....think kegels only apply that tightening to the glutes instead. (Or in addition...can a woman ever do too many kegels?) I also have had good success with seeing an osteopathic physician who does very gentle bio-mechanical adjustments (nothing like a chiropractor) and puts me back into alignment. It's all very mysterious to me, but it does wonders. However, my pain is usually very low-level, both hips are now done, and my knees are fine, thank goodness.
4. The nasty thing about arthritic hips is that things can change suddenly. Those changes aren't usually for the better. Is it possible that the right hip has gotten worse over time....of course. (I'm curious....do both hips need replacing? If so, have you considered a bilateral procedure...assuming your OS would even consider it, which many won't? And what is projected for the other knee?)

The bottom line as I'm seeing it here (and I didn't go back and read your entire thread, so excuse me if some of this has already been covered) is that there's a lot that simply can't be known until you have your surgery and you see. You see what happens with your LLD. (And give it a good six months before you determine if it is or isn't fixed.) You see what happens with your right hip. You really need to give it a full year or more before you know what the THR will accomplish for you. Since you know you have OA in the other hip and knee as well, you have to be realistic about how much each individual surgery can impact your overall mobility and quality of life. I think many of us are quick to blame our various pains and problems on the previous surgery and what might not have worked....but the reality is that we are works in progress and there can be a thousand possible reasons why we hurt. Not every reason is due to OA. Not every reason is due to surgery. Not every reason can be fixed. We just do the best we can.

Your question about managing function-wise after the THR, when the non-operated side is in pain....making sure it doesn't impede recovery...I made full use of the pain meds allowed to me during my recovery. I followed the BoneSmart protocol....lots of rest, icing and elevation, and CONTROL PAIN. For me, this meant a full five months of lessening but still ongoing pain medicating after my first surgery. And once I stopped, I still had ongoing pain issues that I chose to mostly ignore. In fact, I have the same issues over one year after the second surgery....I choose to live with those pains and medicate only when I absolutely have to (traveling, taking care of grandkids, dancing). Within reason, I'm exploring other modalities to see how they impact pain....massage as frequently as I can afford, changes to diet, ongoing (and so far futile!!!) attempts to lose weight....I'm quite certain I'd see only good results if I could finally ditch a good 30 to 50 pounds.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. When you hang out here, you learn a lot. :)

Speaking of those ethnic references, aren't we privileged to experience the once in 70,000 years when the first night of Hanukah coincides with Thanksgiving! I have three words: I'm. Not. Ready.

Sharon
 
sharonslp How do I thank you for putting my concerns in such wonderful perspective, in such depth, & with so much clarity? I don't mean to sound like I'm fawning, but I am just very grateful and in some ways relieved. "Wait-and-see" is apparently the name of the game; I can do that. You're right -- I did know a lot of this, but you tied it up in a neat package. I wish everyone could read it. I totally now understand the absolute importance of adequate pain control & intend to do what I need to do. I only take acetaminophen, which frankly doesn't do sh... um... squat. Pain control is what makes it all possible. I get it. I understand I won't become a junkie. :headbang:

In the meantime, on the off-chance that it works, I am going to implement BS's mantra on my non-surgical side and ice/elevate; can't hurt & might alleviate inflammation if there IS any. I tried icing a little earlier for half an hour, & I think it helped. More to come.

Again, grateful thanks. I was right in my earlier assessment of your knowledge & style. AND -- definitely -- Happy Hanukah... making latkes?

Oh, and where the heck is the "Mitten"?

Ellen
 
The mitten is Michigan. Look at a map....you'll see. :)
Latkes...probably. But I'm seriously thinking about mixing up the batter and then baking it in the oven instead of frying on the stovetop. Not because of health concerns about frying, etc. Simply because of the ridiculous mess all the spattering oil makes, and the time I spend at the stove trying to fry up a new batch while the old batch is being scarfed down. Really....slather on enough applesauce or sour cream and does it really matter if it's crispy pan-fried or crispy oven-baked?

Are you taking acetaminophen consistently throughout the day, and in high enough dosages? 1000 mg 3 or 4 times a day? If you aren't taking enough to really help, then maybe it's better not to take it at all. Can you manage another two months with nothing? If not, get your doctor's ok to take a therapeutic dose for the two months. What else have you tried? I managed well with a daily celebrex for several years, but when the bone-on-bone pain started, nothing helped.

Yes....icing now is an excellent idea.

I did go back and zip through your thread. I'm excited for you to get your surgery. While it may not resolve all your issues, I'm confident that it will give you much improved mobility. I'll bet you're counting the days. :)

Sharon
 
@Sharonsip Well, I didn't know about the Michigan/mitten connection!! Whaddya know? I must be the last one on the block. So... OK... Florida is shaped like a boot. No, maybe that's Italy.

I spent the evening reading both your threads. Great writing, attitude, info. I can see why you're an official "advisor".

Acetaminophen: I don't take more than 3,300mg/day & sometimes 2,300. I think the max dose is 4,000, right? However, maybe they're spread too far apart to do much good. I take 1,000 when ever I wake up... Depending on day & whether I need to be out early for an appt, could be 8, 9, or 10 am. I wait about 5 hours before the next dose, which is usually 2 arthritis-strength tabs of 650 mg. 8 hours later I take another 1,000. Often, I'm out & don't take anything midday, and only take the 1,300mgs in late afternoon or evening. Frankly, they barely take the edge off, if that. Maybe taking the 1,000 closer together during the day would be more effective? I can't take Celebrex because I'm on Coumadin for A-Fib, which doesn't bother me at all, but precludes NSAIDS. I haven't tried any other pain meds & have taken those only after a surgery. Since it's bone-on-bone, I think the answer lies in removing the Big Bad Bone!! I've gotta hope my OS comes up with the so-called right pain cocktail & that my GP cooperates. Because I take Lipitor, my liver is checked regularly & is fine. So is my cholesterol & everything else.

Latkes: You BAKE THEM? Cool! Do you drop pancake-sized dollops of batter on a tray? I can't stand long enough to cook anymore (but hopefully not forever), but used to use the packages mix. Was good! I'd eat potato-anything off an old shoe! Also, chocolate. Are you making Thanksgiving dinner? I have a great sweet potato casserole with a pecan crusty topping that is to die for.

You're having a most interesting life. Whenever I get mine i would like to take some cruises, road trips to see family & friends, join something for more social outlets, maybe find a book club. Hubby is dying to get out & see the world, but my joints have been keeping us very close to home. I waited YEARS to do my knee & am not making the same mistake with my hip. And to answer your earlier question, yes, looks like I will have to have the other hip done, and no, I didn't discuss bilateral with doc. As you said, not all docs do it, but I think I will wait and see how I fair after hip #1. I have almost forgotten what life was like prior to my restrictive version, & I'm dying to find out.

Ciao for now, Sharon. Is it very cold where you are!

Ellen
 
shrinkette I see you are toying with the idea of getting both hips done. My strong advice is that if that is necessary, get 'em both done close together like I did and then you can recuperate from both together, rather than starting over with the second one. Also, remember the waiting time after you DO schedule -- you don't want to drag it out forever. (At my age I know I do not have infinite time left and I didn't want to spend a large part of the rest of it crippled up.) That's why I decided to do mine close together and I scheduled my second one when I scheduled the first one. Get in, get out and get it over with so it doesn't continue to consume your whole life. Even though I am a great coward, I just wanted it over with (and I wasn't sure I could get my courage up a second time) so I just gritted my teeth and charged forward. I am so glad I did (even in spite of all the panic attacks I had while waiting -- at least I had only one set of panic attacks, not two).

How are you getting on? It is bitterly cold here -- we are having one of those freak storms and the wind has been blowing like mad for two days and we've had rain and more rain and very cold. Unusual for it to be this cold here this early. The damp cold certainly makes me remember where all my joints are! I'm creaky all over. We usually have sunshine here most all the time so when it is like this I feel like I'm in another world. I took a big long nap this afternoon and the doggies are curled up in their blankies. I have dog doors for them and they've been going out and coming in very quickly. No dawdling in the backyard today! Still tracking in mud, though. Oh well . . . . Last night I had to keep towels ready to dry them off when they came in from outside because it was rainng like mad.

Peace and love to you,

Milli

PS: This morning I was actually able to stand up at the stove and make whole wheat pancakes for my breakfast. Wonderful!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom