Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??
I can assure you, shrinkette, that a hip replacement is much easier than a knee replacement. If you follow the BoneSmart mantras and manage not to over do PT and other exercise, you should be feeling almost normal in about 6 weeks.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
So bottomshollow... Thanks for the reassurance. Good to know. What's your experience with blood loss, hematomas, and the need for a transfusion during/after THR? Thanks.

Ellen
 
Sorry, I can't help you with this. I am not a bleeder. I only had a small bruise at the top of my incision which faded away within a week. And I've never had a transfusion in my life. Except for being a bit overweight and taking medication to control blood pressure and cholesterol, I am disgustingly healthy for an old broad :)! I also have never had any difficulties with any of the surgeries I've had, and I've had 11 plus two cataract removal surgeries.
 
shrinkette I don't have any personal experience with blood transfusions, but I know it was on the table with my blood levels so low. However, the nurse told me my OS NEVER does transfusions if there is any way to avoid them. I doubt this info helps you much, but it's all I have.
 
Hmmm Butterfly...you're lucky you avoided that with a dropping hemaglobin. Are there plans afoot to test your blood again to ensure it's coming up? After my TKR they sent in a VN several times a week, a PT & a lab to take my blood a couple of times. I do take Coumadin regularly; maybe that also contributed to low blood count. I guess it's another question for OS.
 
Hello Ellen. My OS had me give a unit of blood prior to my hip surgery, but he did not use it. He has all his patients give blood just in case, but it is not usually needed according to his nurse. Sorry that I don't have more information for you.

As far as the exercise/recovery question you about in another thread, I don't see why you should not be as successful as anyone else in your recovery. Jo has said countless times that walking is the best exercise for your hip during recovery. I tend to agree, but I am not an expert by any means.
 
Also...I had an anterior hip replacement without all the fancy computer tech (lucky you, sounds awesome!), but I did not have quite the anticipated recovery that I had read about. I am only telling you this because I don't want you to worry if it does not go exactly as you expect. My first two weeks were a little rough, but things progressed pretty quickly after that.
 
calikat... Thanks so much for responding. I asked my surgeon about banking my own blood. He said he no longer requires that. I do wish I had done it prior to my knee, though, since I required some transfusions. I gotta just hope I won't be needing them this time.

As to my apprehension regarding exercise/recovery, I guess I'm just finding something ELSE to worry about given my sedentary state. Btw, how long typically does "cement leg" last? Or is there no "typical"? Here's another one for you: are loose-fitting knit capris good during recovery? Underwear? Just want to be prepared. Thanks again... Really appreciate it!

Ellen
 
calikat... OMG!!! Since you mentioned your rough start, I read your thread. Yikes... Sounds awful. I'm trying not to have unrealistically high expectations. I certainly am scared silly Tell me: how are you now? Progressing, I do hope, and with less pain. I do so wish that for you.
 
I had to use my hands to help move my leg for the first week or so. The cement leg wore off, but it was just painful for my leg to move on it's own power. ;) I would assist with my hands getting in and out of bed. I just wore what I call lounge pants for my recovery. I got some black ones from the pajama section at Target. They were stretchy, soft, and very comfortable. Undies can be a bit tricky depending on where your incisions ends. Mine came up across the bend in my hip.
 
Hi Ellen. I think I am doing pretty well. I have been walking unaided since the end of my second week. This Thursday will be 6 weeks. The pain/soreness I feel with walking continues to decrease. I am going to PT 3 times a week, but I really only do regular daily activities on the non PT days like walking the dog, running errands, preparing meals, etc. I am not pain free, but so much better than what I was prior to the surgery. I am not sure if I ever expect to be completely pain free, but I would like to be able to function. Is anyone pain free if they are over 30 or 40? We always have some pain somewhere right? If I take 400 - 600 mg of ibuprofen my hip almost feels normal, but then I don't tax it too much yet. The journey continues!
 
calikat... Walking unaided? Running errands? Preparing meals? "Only regular activities"? I would give anything right now to do any ONE of those activities. I can't walk unaided & am walking increasingly shorter distances with my walker. I actually used a wheelchair for the movies on Sunday! I am most comfortable & fairly pain-free lying on my side in bed or sitting somewhere. My life has come to a standstill.
Do you realize how far you've come??!! I know you must & I can't even imagine being where you are right now. You've come so far. I admire your courage and tenacity. I'm very scared tonight after a few days of feeling somewhat reconciled & even a little optimistic. Oh well, tomorrow may look brighter.
 
I do realize Ellen...and I am very thankful that there are very smart people in the world who figure out how to do all these amazing things to help heal people! :) I was thinking yesterday how extraordinary it was not to think about how I was going to get from point A to point B and if my hip could take it. I saw my dentist the other day and he was amazed. He said "You really were in such agony the last time I say you." I had seen him early in September for a pre-surgical dental check up. I really was in agony. There is no other word for it. I have to commend you for going to the movies. In the months before surgery, my world had become very small, and socializing was pretty much a no go for me. I did not have the energy to play the role of enjoying myself.
 
Oh and just so you know I was not doing all of that at two weeks. I worked up gradually. Each week I did a bit more. I guess what I meant was that very little of my time has been spent on rehabbing/exercising my hip. It has just gotten better as time has gone by...or as Josephine would say, my new hip has been working itself out.
 
calikat... Well, that's great! I love it because I HATE formal exercising, as you must have gathered. I much prefer the concept of the hip "rehabbing itself" through gradual resumption of normal activities. I think Josephine really knows what she's talking about & is a great comfort. So glad to hear of your progress. I hope your mental & emotional states have improved as a direct correlation with your physical improvement. Boy oh boy -- nothing like pain, disability, & hopelessness for causing depression!

Well, my friend, it's a bit earlier over there on the West Coast, so I think I'll hit the sack. I've been in So Cal -- beautiful! And you even have mountains -- a sight for sore eyes. Chat soon, I hope. :)
 
Anybody out there in Bonesmartie land who can give me a few words of encouragement on a down-rollercoaster day as I ponder what lies ahead. Mostly what worries me is that my recovery will be negatively influenced by being 50 lbs. overweight and having been so sedentary for so long. I've read the stuff about the weight... my doctor didn't even mention it other than the surgery would take a bit longer (approximately 20 minutes!), so maybe i'm over-worrying (ya think?!). I'm just afraid I won't have whatever muscle tone is needed to do what I have to do. No other real health issues at the moment -- unless you count anxiety. Thanks in advance to all you good people here.
 
Hi! Having a couple of "down" days recently during the waiting period. Pain in left hip seems to be worse (psychological?) as time passes, and new pain in other hip/leg has really scared me. All this makes me more dependent on hubby, who is gracious to the point of saintly & totally understands. Some days I'm much more optimistic & philosophical, but I now seem to be in the doldrums. Please don't get me wrong: I'm not a TOTALl wimp -- have had my share of surgeries, including a heart valve replaced 17 years ago, several serious belly surgeries including having surrendered a piece of my colon, and my TKR. So... I've been there, done that, & landed on my feet every time. Just feel awfully blue right now and felt like venting to my friends in this "joint" effort. Guess I'm just having a pity party. Thanks for listening.
 
Can you do it sooner? I was put on a cancellation list, and I called my doctor's office 2 - 3 times a week. I was able to move my surgery up by nearly 3 weeks. Waiting while you are in pain is depressing. There is no way around it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom