Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, shrinkette ... you've got some good responses here and I hope you have taken some consolation about this THR journey. One thing I suggest to you or anyone "pre-op" who can't tie their shoes is that you buy ahead of time the device informally referred to as "the sock thing." Also, elastic shoelaces. In case you don't know about it, you can find it by Googling "hip kits" or going to "assisted devices" sites, for people who have mobility problems. It took me forever and a day to get my socks on prior to surgery. Or tie my shoes. And also get a long shoe horn. With the elastic laces already in your shoes, you just have to shoe horn them on. Socks go on easily with the device.
 
Thanks, Peaches... I already have the "sock thing", but I don't typically wear socks at home; actually, I forgot how I was shown to use it even if I wanted to! Phooey!!! Also do have a long-handled shoehorn & bought shoes with elastic on top, but can't maneuver the shoehorn in order to insert my feet. I must be missing something. I do use the grabber and dressing stick. And my husband. But I want to be more independent. How're YOU doing?
 
Hi, shrinkette ... I should have explained that I have had to wear sneakers/walking shoes for a long time prior to surgery and even after. They've made me feel sure-footed and have helped more with pain than wearing regular (more feminine!) shoes. Anyway, I scoot my feet into the sneaker, toes first and use the shoe horn to push the heel in. And the grabbber (am so glad you got yours already) helps me unfold the heel of the shoe when it curls inward. That's the best I know how to describe it, but hopefully others who are better at describing "actions" will chime in. The sock thing I got came from a medical supply store that I visited one time prior to surgery. I wear socks with those shoes, so it was imperative for me to have this thing. I can't remember how I managed to get my sock on on my bad hip side before I got that sock thing. It took forever, though. It was a daily frustration. If you Google "sock aide deluxe blue terry cloth" you'll see one on amazon that looks like the one I have. This one works great. The one that came in my "hip kit" that I bought at the hospital's pre-op class (which I think was sold by a company called BioMet) was all plastic and not very good. I wanted to get a dressing stick, but never got around to it.

Wow, you've had two knees replaced. The hip surgery will surely be a lot easier.

I'm six months beyond my only surgery, my right hip. Progress has not been as lickety-split as I'd like. I have a lot of pain in my lower back and other hip, so I am guessing that the other hip is in trouble and that is why my progress feel slow. I hope to get some answers from various doctors this month. Thanks for asking.

Hang in there! Keep posting away and you will find so much support on the hip side, as I'm sure you know. Take care.
 
shrinkette, your thread title talks about your hip being shot. By the time I finally had my THR my hip had collapsed. To quote my surgeon - the socket looked like swiss cheese! I could not walk unaided and was in MAJOR pain. All fixed with a shiny implant!

And yes, coping with this bone on bone pain wears you out. You will be surprised how much more energy you have post op. No more pain and having to plan your every move around it. :happydance:
 
Jaycey... Well, when I referred to my hip being "shot" it was more a figure of speech. I already know it's very arthritic, but I haven't seen a hip surgeon yet where I will get the real lowdown. I just know it has severely incapacitated and debilitated me, so when you talk about no more necessity of planning my every move, it sounds like pain-free heaven. I would so love I get my energy, vitality, sense if humor, and independence back!!! But YOU (and others here) know that.

By the way, I'm wondering how replacing my left hip (the worst) will impact my right hip, which is also arthritic, but doesn't feel as bad. And since the LEFT leg became shorter after my RIGHT KNEE replacement, now what?? I'm "dipping" big-time on my left. Hopefully they will even me out somehow. But then what happens when my RIGHT HIP is replaced?! Will I ever be even??? Do you think Josephine could provide her usual wisdom in the leg-length thing? Thanks.
 
Your surgeon may be able to ease that leg length difference during your THR. It will depend on what he/she sees during the procedure. Here's a thread about LLD. Most new hippies feel like there is a huge difference in their leg length just post op. But this feeling usually disappears after 3-4 months.

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen to your right hip after LTHR. But I'll tag Josephine
 
Hey there, ststyle59... Happy to hear from you. You must have a helluva pain tolerance to do all that you describe! Yikes -- I can't tie my sneakers, & just about walk where I have to, using a walker, because I'm tipping so far to my left since that leg shortened after my knee surgery on the opposite leg for reasons unknown. Anyway, I wish I were as active as you are, but no can do. Anxious to hear what first hip guy has to say next Thursday. You sound like you have a great attitude. Bionic sounds good to ME!! I wanna be "normal" so badly I can taste it. You're giving yourself a terrific Xmas present...
...Thank you "shrinkette," for your "connection" (I hope I am posting this in the appropriate area, not too familiar with forum etiquette) anyway, again thank you for your "good vibes" post.....wishing you all the best as well and lets "All" be "bionic" together....keep on truckin'........!!!!
 
Never fear - the forum is here!!!! One thing I have learned from coming here and reading thread after thread is that nothing I feared, experienced, or had concerns about had not been had by others. Have a question, ask, someone has the answer or can direct you to the answer.

My biggest fear pre-op was not being able to get into my bed. At the pre surgical class at the hospital I asked the PT about it. She said measure the bed height and bring it with you and we will work everything to that height. I had my own platform in the PT room :) and found I could get in and out of bed just fine with the leg lifter. When I came home I used a 1 inch wide dog leash for the leg lifter and after a week didn't need it very much. You will be amazed how much you can move, pain free!!!!, after surgery.
 
flowergirl... Wow -- your last comment was music to my ears!! I've been VERY apprehensive about getting into bed post-op since I'm having trouble even now. I definitely not only feel better on what has so far been a 'down' day, but am gonna now buy a leg lifter. I get into bed on my right side; surgery will be on left side. Wonder how you get OUT of bed without rolling over the incision...? Eek!! Thanks for the valuable input.
 
Josephine... Can you tell me if you think my current bathroom set-up will be appropriate post-op? I have the frame of a commode over my regular toilet. Of course, there are two arms. I'm only 4'11", so while I can raise the commode's seat, there's a limit because of my height. I can lift off pretty well since I now have a good right knee. Will this work? I tried posting a pic, but was informed file is too big. Many thanks.

Ellen
 
Welcome Shrinkette!

I had RTHR end of August. I was dreading the surgery. Just the thought of them removing that much of my bones freaked me out. But to be rid of the hip pain is so worth it. I remember how much I limped around work trying so hard to get through my shift and taking tiny little steps because that's all I could do. I wasn't able to take a normal size step and I must have looked like I was going to pee my pants.

I can walk so much more normally now even only since the end of August. I think it's such an improvement that I can feel OTHER pain in my body I probably wasn't even aware of because my hips were so bad. My left hip is bad too, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to, and not as bad as my right hip.

I found it so helpful to talk to other people who had the surgery. I talked to a few people at the dr's office and some of them had surgery and now going in to get the other one done. They put me at ease a lot.

The hospital staff when I had the surgery were really great at making sure I had my pain under control. I just did everything they told me to to, exactly how they told me to do it.

I'm envious that you saw a video on getting in and out of bed, that's something I really could have used more of.

I'm opposite of you! You got your knee done, now the hip/butt hurts... I got my hip done and now my knees KILLLL me when I'm lying down.

They say the knees are so much trickier than the hip ... from what I hear of your knee you're going to ace this!

Welcome to the group!
 
Hi, ElleCat... Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. When I see the first OS tomorrow I pretty much expect the diagnosis and recommendation, but even so the whole ordeal feels very daunting. I'm full of questions and am slowly getting answers. Of course, much will be dependent on the OS I use and his preferences. I do plan on having my hip done at the same hospital that did my knee, which had a very good ortho floor. Everyone at BS seems to go home after surgery rather than a rehab. I sure hope I can! I spent WEEKS in a rehab after my knee. Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

Keep up the good work after only about 6 weeks! Are you still using assistance to walk? How're your knees? Since I already have arthritis in the knee on what will be the operated side -- but it doesn't bother me -- I hope I'm not in for a whole new set of problems there, post-op.
 
Now see...nothing to fret about! I am only 5'2" but a bit on the heavy side...and I loved my raised toilet/over the commode-commode thing. I have found that sometimes sitting on a handicap toilet my feet didn't touch the floor but with the over the commode set up I didn't have a problem. And the first 2 weeks I would remove the 'splash guard' thing and put the whole contraption in the shower, made for nice long relaxing showers with no fear of becoming trapped :)

Back to the bed thing...after surgery I found I could move a whole lot better than before and was able to slide myself around on the bed very easily...over to the edge, feet down to floor stand and I was off! I did have a short little step to get into bed, my bed is very high (nice fluffy pillow top) and there was no way to lower it and placing everything on the floor made it all to low...In the hospital PT I had my own over height platform and low step that we used twice a day for practice. Just like learning the stairs once would have been enough. Oh yeah stairs are a lot easier post-op too!!!!

I don't know about rolling over on the operated side soon after, that was one thing I was afraid of...until I finally ask the OS if I could roll over and his response was 'why not? just keep a pillow between your knees". I do know that when I had to roll over in the hospital for a 'incision check' I soon realized that the incision could take some 'strain'. I was all prepared for not even as much as a twitch anywhere near the incision, yet I found I could bend and stretch it just fine, now I wasn't doing acrobatic moves but moving more than I thought. Same with moving and sliding on the bed to get in and out.

So glad someone else is watching videos pre-op! I watched everyone I could find...I wasn't sleeping much so I needed something to occupy my nights...I found out I couldn't get in and out of my car, thankfully the SUV was perfect. My couch was to low. I didn't have to reconfigure my bed. And I watched several surgeries, yep I saw all the blood and gore! At the pre-op class in the hospital head Ortho nurse was a bit concerned that I had watched videos of surgeries, I asked why? I thought they were fascinating...He was surprised, he said they petrified most. Guess I am odd, but I needed to know exactly what was going on.

Rambling again...I got a really good nights sleep last night and need to burn some energy. Probably should go to the pool and walk it off.
 
Can you tell me if you think my current bathroom set-up will be appropriate post-op?
Honey, that can only be assessed by somebody who views it - and you - directly. It would be impossible and also inappropriate for me to comment over the internet - with or without a photo! so sorry.
Just the thought of them removing that much of my bones freaked me out
How much bone did you think they were going to remove? We would weigh the removed bone and usually it wasn't much more than 4-500gms and usually rather less!
 
I thought they were going to remove just what they removed. I watched videos of the procedure and had a good idea of what was going to happen. Well, taking that much of my bones out freaks me out lol, especially being a joint, freaks me out more. But it doesn't feel all different than a normal joint once the surgery is done, at least to me. Way better than an arthritic joint though! I felt better seeing the "after" xrays too, the hip joint looked so much cleaner and fresh on the new X-ray.
 
Hi, ElleCat... Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. When I see the first OS tomorrow I pretty much expect the diagnosis and recommendation, but even so the whole ordeal feels very daunting. I'm full of questions and am slowly getting answers. Of course, much will be dependent on the OS I use and his preferences. I do plan on having my hip done at the same hospital that did my knee, which had a very good ortho floor. Everyone at BS seems to go home after surgery rather than a rehab. I sure hope I can! I spent WEEKS in a rehab after my knee. Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

Keep up the good work after only about 6 weeks! Are you still using assistance to walk? How're yo

ur knees? Since I already have arthritis in the knee on what will be the operated side -- but it doesn't bother me -- I hope I'm not in for a whole new set of problems there, post-op.

My knees never really bothered me much. But now when I'm sleeping they bother me. I am thinking it may be some residual problem from the epidural, or a nerve problem, maybe even sciatica. I think this because it doesn't hurt when I'm standing, walking, doing things around the house. It hurts when I'm laying down on my side... both knees the same pain.

Now that it's all done, it's not nearly as scary as I thought it would be.
 
At last: Had my first visit today with OS specializing in anterior approach using MAKOplasty. Sounds really precise, requiring a CT scan prior to surgery specifically for measurement purposes. My guy answered all my questions -- including the ones suggested here in BS -- and gave me impressive, non-defensive answers: Heas had only 1 dislocation, no infections, has done over 200 using this muscle-sparing technique, teaches the method himself, works with his own team in OR, has assured me of precision measurements of leg length, and said there are no restrictions post-op. As a matter of fact, the method is SO precise that you must have a CT scan of the hip solely for measurement purposes for placement of the titanium and plastic prosthesis. (Oops, i said that already). On top of all that, he seems to be a really approachable, down-to-earth guy. The hospital he operates in has an excellent ortho floor; I know because I was there for my TKR. I'm now processing all this info and trying to commit to a date. Woo hoo -- I'm getting excited!! It's now getting more real .. Eek!!
 
A possibly interesting post script to my report: When I asked the surgeon how long the actual surgery would take, he said about 30 minutes, but because I am somewhat overweight, about 50 minutes. Really??!! He's got to slice through that much more flesh? Dieting starts now. NOT!
 
Shadow09... Hi, there! I read in another thread that you had MAKOplasty. I am considering it strongly, and wonder how you made out. Just saw a specialist and was very impressed and encouraged. Thanks for your input.
 
Wow... 30 minutes for a THR... I want one of those :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom