scared in US: op in March

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kittyroma - lots of stories in all the recovery threads - it will keep you busy reading. Of course there are some who had various complications but really most people do not and do very well. Don't worry too much about the anesthesia, the effects are usually very short-lived, if any, once you wake up. And pain meds really can control the after surgery pain - far better than the arthritis/hip pain you have now. Just be patient, give yourself time to recover, sleep and rest a lot at first and soon you will be amazed at how good you feel not having your hip pain. Its really not so hard to walk on the new hip at all, just pain from the soft tissue/muscles that got moved around during the surgery. That heals. So follow instructions, take your pain meds awhile and take it easy! Enjoy the nice weather in Florida in March too!
 
I love hearing about everyone's post operative happiness. I'm so grateful. You give me hope.
10 days after my operation I'll need to be driven 3 hours to where I'll be staying to recover with friends, according to the various websites I need to take a short walk every 30 minutes or once an hour. Should one really be doing this climbing in and out just to take a short walk, assuming I can walk. Did anyone out there experience this?

And how long do you really have to lie in bed, going slowly stir-crazy????
 
@kittyroma, in response to your request for how to make your cats happy by posting their picture, here are some simple instructions. Hope this helps.

Hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". On a PC , click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done. On an iPad, hold your finger on the image and you will be presented with the options to copy or save the image. Choose 'save the image' go to your user name, top of screen and select Avatar and then choose 'existing choice' and apply and bingo you have your new avatar.
 
Hi @kittyroma my OS is in the Bradenton, Florida area, and he has recommended bilateral hip replacement soon. What part of Florida is your doctor in? I have many of the same seemingly silly questions like how can you get underwear and pants on after surgery? Are the legs able to bend at all or are they just rigid, heavy logs that can't move? Stuff like this goes through my head all the time!
 
I wrote a long reply which seems to have gone off into never never land. MsFit1 I said to you that my doctor was in Jacksonville, Florida and I found most of the answers to the questions we both were thinking of on bonesmart and other websites, and printed them out so I wouldn't forget as I'm not very savvy with body awareness. As the date gets closer I get more anxiety attacks (SO much fun) but also a bit of excitement that climbing stairs might someday not be such an ordeal. I think how nice it would be to walk like a normal person again. Fingers crossed.
 
Hi @kittyroma I had a hip replacement surgery on February 6 2014, I had the good fortune of having the surgury at a private facility and I want to tell you I have had a wonderful outcome from this surgery. I. Had knee pain and in October I went for a consult and long story short, I was told my left hip was bone on bone and I would eventually need a hip replacement. I went for 2 other consultations and I am 3 weeks post op. When I was administered my initial IV I had a medication though IV to prevent the Nausea I had a spinal and they used propapol for sedation. I was wheeled to my room and was up andwalkin a few hours later. (With walker) I had no pain whatsoever walking and I had no nausea.The-next day I took a shower and put on loose yoga pants and had PT which they did morning &night. I was given excercies to do why lying in bed. I was given 2 ,5 mg of oxecodone every 4 hours . I stayed 2 nights and transitioned fine at my home. I am walking unassisted (without a cane) most of the time. I went back to work 3 hrs a day this week, twice. I advise to use an ice pack as often as you can, don't try to do too much to soon, but you need to walk about each day. I visited your lovely city last year and stayed at the Roma Cavalieri outside of Rome . I can understand that the unleveled streets in Rome would make it harder for you,my home has spiral staircase and I never thought I would beable to go up and down but I was taught in hospital rehab and had no problem. I want to wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery and Fla has marvelous weather for your rehab . I must mention I had a mini anterior surgery and they used a substance called dent temp to close the insision, it disapates and prevents the use of staples and bandages and the insision site heals much nicer leaving practically no visible scar. Take care and best wishes!!!
 
@kittyroma my surgical facility was one hour drive from my home, I believe you can split the ride after an hr or hr and half if your doctor agrees. Driving home was not bad on main highway but my home is located 15 min from main highway streets and the last. 15 min ride on narrow bumpy streets was not the best . Again best of luck to you
 
Hi @kittroma don't you just hate it when things get lost in cyber-space! Don't worry, keep reading all the great recovery stories like Brave gal's, focus on the positive, and keep thinking how wonderful it will be when you are able to easily go up stairs, and do all kinds of other activities, pain free! It will happen for you!
 
Dear Brave Girl,
I'm pretty scared. Just finished reading a book on hip replacement and I felt faint through much of it. The nurses are going to think I'm a nut. It was great to hear the good news about your surgery. I'm having posterior approach so I expect recovery will be a bit longer. Due to work moved to Rome from when I turned 50, and though I do have hip dysplasia, all the walking around on the hard volcanic rock I'm sure didn't do my hip any good. I intend to take walking very easy afterward. My knee swelled up last february and that's what got me decided to fix the hip, now the ankle hurts too. My hip pain isn't bad despite being bone on bone, but the rest of my leg is protesting!

Dear MsFit1
I do need all the positive encouragement from these stories. Right now I'm in denial I think, as it doesn't seem real. I wish there was a courage pill.

Thanks so much.
 
Hi @ kittyroma, thanks for your reply , I didn't do any research about surgery prior to having my hip replacement because I was in the mindset of this can't be true, I didn't want to know. I believe I did myself a favor because I would have been to scared to do the surgery. I had no idea I needed surgery, I experience knee pain for approximately 6 months,was becoming tired after regular activities such as walking in mall etc., things that were sence less with accordance to my health & life style. I went. To an OS and x-rays showed bone on bone on left hip,both knees were fine. This was in October , I went for another consult, my OS has a wonderful reputation so I booked surgery in early December for February 6, I did not even allow myself to think about the upcoming surgery, I was in denial, my husband did a lot of research about the surgery but I did none. I left my fate to my Dr, well it is24 days past, and I have been recovering nicely, some days are great, some days are not. You have plans to go to a post op rehab center? My OA is very progressive and he said I didn't need any post rehab, but I received a prescription for 60 , I advise to rehab slowly, I have done a lot more in the first weeks than I should have, and I payed by being in pain. My best advice is to ice as much as possible, my ice pack is my best freind. I am sure you will be fine. I had a mini, non invasive anterior on left hip. The OS used no staples, he used dent temp to close insision. I had NO post op bruising and my incision site is looking very good. I am keeping you in my prayers for a easy recovery and jealous that you will be in fla for your rehab. The east coast is having an awful weather pattern this year. My husband and I have been to your beautiful country 4 times in last 3 years, he is hoping to our going back this early summer before August to southern coast. We'll keep in touch any don't hesitate to ask me any questions, just keep a positive attitude and stop reading stuff that may put you in a nervous state of mind . Best wishes
 
Dear Brave gal,
It's nice to read the upbeat pieces since I tend to read horror story ones. I just finished a thread on dislocation which happened to a woman who slept exactly like I sleep every night. Oh woe is me. I have to just stop thinking and reading.

If my knee hadn't swelled up in february 2013 and one OS I consulted said 'get the hip fixed that's the problem' and if I weren't having foot problems now too I know I'd put it off. I've been using a cane for 6 years as didn't want to do anything before I was 60 but it's bone on bone now and I'm now at the 'you want me to walk 3 whole blocks???' stage.

I have lots of friends in New York (I was born and raised there) and in Virginia and wow have they been hit by snowstorm after snowstorm. Rome's weather has been weird this year, rain, then sun, then rain, etc. all winter, but not getting much below the 50s.

Insurance will hopefully pay for a week in rehab, the facility said they'd contact them after the operation, then I'll be staying with friends, alone during the day but someone there at night. They've known me for 4 years so hopefully will not lose patience and put me out on the curb if I'm too cranky.

What parts of Italy have you visited?
 
:)@kittyroma I doubt you'll find the whole process as bad as you are envisioning it. I certainly didn't. I was terrified before my first surgery and still can't believe I found the courage to go through with it. I wasn't even scared about the second hip a month later! All the thinking about, imagining, and worrying about it is FAR, FAR worse than the actual experience. Your pain will be well controlled post op and they'll get you up in the hospital and be sure you can navigate yourself to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. before discharge.

I didn't go to rehab for either hip, as my OS feels it is unnecessary as hips do well on their own; he also told me he feels that people do better in a home setting and also that time in rehab increases your chances of picking up an infection. I went home after two days in the hospital after the first hip and three days in after the second one (blood pressure dropped after the second one). I live alone -- my daughter in law stayed with me for a couple days after the first hip and then just dropped by to help me as needed. I did just fine. I was able to get to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. and back to my recliner just fine, using a walker. After the second hip she only stayed with me one night and I did fine thereafter. Of course they came and helped me by getting groceries, hauling me back to the surgeon for post op stuff till I was cleared to drive, but on a day to day basis I managed on my own (with a walker as ordered by my OS). I did ask for someone to come and be in the house when I showered, because I was nervous about falling and had a bit of trouble getting my legs over the rim of the tub to get into my shower chair and then back out again.

You won't be laying in bed going nuts, you'll be up in a chair or recliner with legs elevated, watching lousy TV or reading and snoozing off and on, and putzing around the house. Elevation of your legs is important to keep swelling down. A home PT person came to my house several times to help me with simple exercises.

You just have to be careful to not do too much while you are recovering, but not just lay in bed. I had a hard time finding the patience to accept that it was just going to take a while and I had to take it easy. I had the posterior-lateral approach for both hips. With adequate pain control, I had no significant pain after surgery at all, until I did too much and got a spasm or something in my piriformis (small muscle in the lower back/buttock) which caused me sciatic pain. Got that settled down and I am doing great now.

You'll be so happy you did this and, believe me, it is nowhere near as bad as you think it will be. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I don't have another hip. :):)

Peace and love to you.
 
@Butterfly ...I for one am so happy you are doing so well. I remember when i first joined BS .I read all your posts and like I told you a while back..Your posts encourage me to just make the appointment and Sooo glad I did. Looking forward to next month. Am I nervous, yes...but I try not to dwell on it and If i find myself getting worked up I read. I know I will be feel better for doing this. So thank you for all your helpful posts. So many great things people have shared. It only helps us, the ones who have either surgery scheduled or thinking about it. Take care Sue :)

@kittyroma ...My anxiety levels have been all over the place since I found out in September that I needed to have surgery. Before I found BoneSmart, I thought I couldn't do this surgery..I was so scared. Now that i have read and done a lot of research I find myself handling it easier...I am nervous, but know I can come here and share and feel better. I wish you all the luck with your surgery. Mine is April 30th.....Deep breaths...We can do this :) Sue
 
Hi kittyroma@ I wrote you a big reply and I lost it. Today is my 4 week post op and feel fabulous I had a swift recovery and pray the same for you. Please stop torturing yourself reading to much info is not good sometimes. I just got diagnosis and did surgery I had no clue I was bone on bone and have no clue for how long, went to dr cause of knee pain in October that's the first time saw anyone about joint pain and did surgery in February to preserve my other leg . OA is not fun snd I was as active as a 30 yr old until it slowly creeped up and prevented me from walking long distances and getting tired all the time etc. when I look back on it I was slowing down and doing things in spurts then staying in bed because I was drained, I thought I was just getting old lol I neverknew a thing about OA . I have visited Rome Milan Venice Florence Tuscany and love Italy . We had booked amalphi coast for this June but obviously put off until early sept. I am doing everything now and am pain free and although I know I am not totally recovered from surgery my body feels like is. I walk up and down steps without problem and am cane free but I never used one ( bad girl) my dr said I was good to go and can resume all normal activity in 2 more weeks but no singles tennis or jogging lol like I would even try that . I hope you have a swift and uneventful rev.overly because it is totally a scary thing I know but if you trust me it will be good. I had some awful days in recovery that made me so depressed but the body just heals if you listen to it and nourish yourself in all ways even spiritually . I know your friends will be there for you, the second week you may need a home healthcare person to stop bye if your alone for 8 hours the hospital can provide a list and you may have someone come for 2 hours on as need basis, I don't believe the insurance covers that. You will be the best judge of your abilities to move about after rehab stay . You are brave gal not me!! My best wishes to you always
 
@ kittyroma I ans u hope u see my reply
 
@ butterfly your reply to kittyroma was beautifully put I am in 100% agreement and you are so funny
 
Thank you so much, both of you. We leave wednesday for Florida. I walked all over thursday and on the way home wondered if I would have to crawl to get to the bus stop. Would be so nice to walk without pain in knee and foot and hip. So I am doing my best to remain calm, if a little distracted. Yesterday I had a cookie, put the other one away (I thought) then couldn't find it. Thought I must have eaten it. This morning I found it in my silverware drawer...I guess I'll be a bit 'out to lunch' for awhile. Just hoping for the best. Brave girl I hope you enjoy the Amalfi Coast, haven't made it there, but hear it is beautiful. Venice is my favorite place in Italy. We live in Rome, just 4 hour train ride to there, I want to go back when I can walk it again, over those many small bridges over the canals.
Butterfly, I wish you the very best and hope I can hold out good virtual hugs to you when you have your operation.
Lots and lots of deep breaths and crossed fingers.
 
@ kittyroma, safe travels to USA just remember u r in my thoughts and prayers and you can always instant message me with any nervous thoughts that you need someone to talk to just go to messages and write me header brave girl . I will have u in my thoughts and prayers and will always answer you. my intuition tells me you are going to do so well. I am always a keyboard away chow an have an uneventful trip. It is morning ur time and I know you are doing lots to get ready for your flight tomorrow. Keep me posted, one day soon when I land in Rome this fall maybe we will meet up for a spritz. Your friend Nancy
 
Heading off today toward florida, scared but hopefully will not run off before operation to live on beach, walking like crab and hiding in dunes. Rome is getting into the 60s, soon will be warm. Our cat sitter arrived from England last night, so kitties should be fine. I'll miss them. Thanks so much for your good wishes, I really appreciate and need them. Will be in touch. Grazie Mille as they say over here.
 
Safe travels and the best to you on your surgery! If you are going to Mayo my brother lives just a few minutes away...I thought about going there myself but decided to stay home and use the same surgeon who did my knee.

Will send up prayers for a successful and pain free surgery! Let us know on the post-op threads how you're doing!

Side note...@Bravegal, I also stayed at the Rome Cavalieri...amazing views of the eternal city! Best of all it was free! (used Hilton points). @kittyroma you are so fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful cities on earth!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom