THR Sbgal THR Recovery Journey

Ohhhh that’s funny @CricketHip it took me a minute to figure out what that meant lol. Yep icing and elevating. And resting!! :ice:
 
When did the sciatica pain go away

Let me tag @Jaycey for you to be sure she sees your question.
I’m such a dummy ‍

No you’re not. Not at all.
Most of us test our limits, within reason, to see what we’re capable of. I’m sure with rest, ice and hopefully some restorative sleep overnight you‘re doing better today. :fingersx:
Just a drive - thru of the ODIC, not a full fledged stay. :yes:
 
@Sbgal I have constant sciatic pain. But the horrid, zapping pain just post op was gone but the time I left the hospital. The more I moved around, the better I felt.
 
I saw my PT for the first time today. My surgeon had given me another (lessor) pain med and I started it today. The PT saw it and got actually upset. She said it wasn’t enough at all and to press them for an increase. Anyway I did call today and they said I could take it every 4 hours (on the bottle it says every 6). Well it’s not doing much at all. I was walking pretty well and making progress. Today when I walk my hip feels like it’s giving out so now I’ve adjusted my gait to take little hesitant steps instead of walking normally with my cane. This is insane that someone with no history or drug abuse, substance abuse or anything of that nature has to be undermedicated to the extent I am. I’ve had to fight for the proper pain meds the entire time I’ve been with this surgeon. It’s horrible actually to be treated like a drug addict. I wanted to go off pain meds by next week and now I don’t think that will happen. I’ve had a set back today.
 
Sbgal
You are NOT a dummy. We all overdo it at some point and learn.
Unfortunately progress is just not linear w this recovery (or any joint replacement recovery). I have to work hard on just dealing w each day separately.

Amazon product ASIN B08F847GKG
This is what I’m using at home. Left the bucket off, took the regular toilet seat and lid off then positioned it right over the toilet. Height is easily adjustable. Arms hugely helpful when getting up. And it’s stable/sturdy. I’m very happy w this and would recommend.

Trying to find a comfortable way to sleep at home is HARD!!! I’m struggling with it too. Do you have a recliner chair by chance? I tried ours last night and managed to get 4 hours uninterrupted- most I’ve had since presurgery. I used extra pillows to lift up my operated leg.

good luck as you navigate this next stretch!

btw I’m glad your dog is back w you. They just know when we need them. Mine has not left me since I got home. But she’s huuuuge (115 lb Lab/Great Dane) so I’m very careful when navigating around her!
 
Hi Magsmom

I have a potty set up with just the bracing around the toilet like you have. It comes without the commode. It works well.
I don’t have a chair or recliner I can sit it unfortunately. My couch is just a little too low and has no arms I can really use to get up with. When did you have your surgery?
 
Hi
Mine was Sept 13. I was in for 2 nights.

it was a real adjustment to get home and oriented to how life will be for a while. I’m sorry the sofa is low and you don’t have a recliner.
kaiyo.com is a used furniture site to buy and sell. If it’s an option for you, I see they have a number of options that are way more affordable than buying brand new. And they vet each piece before taking it on to sell on consignment so the quality is up to their standards.
 
Mine was Sept 13th as well. Unfortunately I live alone and take care of myself so I don’t have the option of buying furniture and getting it set up. I don’t see the need at this point. I’m hoping I can sit in my kitchen chair pretty soon. My place is too small to fit anything else in
 
The other thing I bought that has been really helpful is a foam cushion. I use it on the couch, in the car and pretty much any chair I try to sit in. It’s 3” (maybe 4”) thick so it raises your seat a little and helps you avoid bending more than 90 degrees to get up and down.
This is almost identical to the one I got. Any medical supply store has them as well as Walmart, Target and, of course, Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B008S385M6
good luck….keep in touch!
 
Hi Eman yes I’m doing PT. I am much better than I was last week. But I still can’t walk at all without my cane. My PT said I can take little steps without it if that when I walk my gait isn’t abnormal. And it is when I don’t use my cane. The pain isn’t horrible during the day anymore. But now my hip feels like it’s going to give out all the time when I walk. I can’t get comfortable walking bc of this. My PT said I will always feel that which isn’t what I had thought would be after having a THR. She described it as the muscles and nerves have to get used to the new hip and once they do I won’t notice it. Which makes no sense to me again all.
 
Hmm,, I always thought that PT was supposed to help you regain strength in and around the hip to help you stay balanced?
I don't see any reason that you would stay at the status quo you are now!
Many of the balancing muscles in your lower back and hip area are weak from non use or from using in a restricted way ..because of your painful pre op hip.

Maybe she was saying that you you will get used to it, meaning the muscles will strengthen and you won't notice it because the hip will be fully healed and rehabbed.
Please don't worry about it, I think it's a misunderstanding. Or if you are up to it, ask for some clarification at your next session.

@Sbgal
 
Hello @Sbgal
Good to read an update. Thanks for taking the time to share one. I think week by week you will feel stronger and steadier on your feet and pain or discomfort will continue to diminish, as long as you don’t over do it, which is easy enough to do once you start feeling a lot better. Next time you visit with your surgeon, ask him to explain the sensation you’re feeling that makes you feel your hip is going to give out. Or, if it bothers you, call and speak with a member of his / her care team for some reassurance. Receiving comforting words of hope will give you strength as you struggle through the rough patches of recovery.

I will add that I don’t agree with the words of your PT and do not understand her reasoning behind that comment. Healing will continue, it won’t be a figment of your imagination or take you mentally adjusting to unusual or uncomfortable sensations that you learn to live with.

Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking while you're limping, or your gait feels off.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
I found this very helpful in correcting my gait.
Have a great day!

Here is a visual -
[Bonesmart.org] Sbgal THR Recovery Journey
 
I'm in no way a doctor or have any qualifications but I don't think the PT is correct in their assumption. I would see what happens after not doing any PT or other activities for a couple of days. When they perform a THR on us they have to dislocate us and maneuver the leg into unnatural positions so they can do the THR. In doing all of this our muscles and tendons are stretched and traumatized. This is where the source of the pain comes from and all of that soft tissue needs time, rest and fuel to heal.
 
My PT said I will always feel that which isn’t what I had thought would be after having a THR.
Just not true. Yes, the muscles, tendons and soft tissues need to firm up around the new implant. That just takes time. But both my replaced hips feel totally normal.

Still early days for you!
 
I agree with Jaycey @Sbgal, I don't notice any difference in my natural or replaced hip.
 
Hi @Sbgal ....I hope things will start improving for you soon!

My PT said I will always feel that which isn’t what I had thought would be after having a THR.
Hmmm....I'm no expert, either---but that doesn't sound right.

kaiyo.com is a used furniture site to buy and sell.

Thank you for posting that! :) We recently spent a lot for my recliner, because I
haven't been able to sleep in our bed for over a year (ugh, I miss it!). I'd love
to have a second one for the living room without that huge expense; so I
hope I can find one there.
 
Oh man, that PT sounds misinformed. It takes time for the body, muscles etc to reacclimate to the implant. But to say you’ll always walk that way just sounds off the mark. I’m sorry you’re having trouble.

I agree w the suggestion to call your dr or someone on his team. Or perhaps consider a different PT?
 
Puggles
The recliner has been a savior for me.

Are you in the US? In the Northeast there’s a furniture chain called Bob’s Discount Furniture. It’s really inexpensive stuff - some of questionable quality…..BUT I did find a really comfortable recliner there a few years ago in preparation for a shoulder procedure. I think it was called the Gladiator- ugly as all get out but it has been a lifesaver. Sitting in it right now. If that doesn’t work maybe Kaiyo will or there are discount places wherever you live. Fingers crossed.

Btw, can someone tell me what ODIC means?
 
Btw, can someone tell me what ODIC means?

OverDid It Club
We hate to have our members join:bignono:
Sometimes, it cant he helped.
And often - while finding out how much is helpful and what can be hurtful, there can be a short visit to the ODIC....
Scaling back, and icing and elevating can put us back on track.:tada:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom