Guest viewing is limited

TKR Saying hi and 2 weeks out<

@newlybionic so glad you are getting on better this time, it helps when you can get out and about in the sunshine. We've been for a lovely walk today, I take my scoot and my H rides it whilst I have walk as far as I can manage. Then I ride it lol. Jus nice to be out and about.

Ivet sent you a PM re MS x
 
Thanks for the PM. It really helped me.

I'm really glad to hear how well you are doing. It is very hard to recover without pain meds. I did that the first time around and it was just awful.
 
No, never thought you were criticising sweetie...I am the one in AWE of you!
 
So I haven't posted an update since 7 weeks post op as I was getting on so well! My knee was just gradually getting better and I was dealing with the post op blues and life was slowly becoming bearable again. I hadn't over done anything as I'd heeded all the advice I'd been given on here.

Well last week I was feeling so very well that I had a short walk along the sea front on a day out with no crutches woo hoo!! So after that I walked around a shopping centre (mall) and went out for lunch on Thursday. I then decided, as I was doing so well, to walk around a small park near us on Friday (no sticks) AND around 2 large shops too. Well there was no pain although it did start hurting towards the end of the trip.

I've had a miserable weekend of suffering because of it and today I'm still suffering, I was having some pain free walking and now I'm not, the knee is swollen and I'm back to doing 2 X 10 minute walks plus my PT exercises and the rest of the time just resting / elevating / icing. The post op blues have hit big time!!! I'm now 10 weeks and 3 days post op and suffering some (probably unnecessary) concern over whether I have done any harm to my new knee? Can the experienced amongst you give me some reassurance please? There is no sharp pain, no more heat than before and just a bit more swelling but it just feels sore and objects to too much walking. I also have to use one crutch again?

I'm assuming I've just set myself back a little? No one tells you before your op that it goes on this long! I really expected to be doing really well by now?

Thanks guys x
 
You just made a visit to the ODIC ( over did it club). We've all done that. You start to feel like everything is well with your new knee and it then let's you know that it wasn't quite ready. 10 weeks is still very early in recovery. I know no one wants to hear that but it's true. When your knee complains just give it a couple of days off as you've done. For next outing make it shorter. You've done no harm to your knee.
 
@newlybionic thank you for coming to the rescue so quickly. I think in my heart I knew that but when you haven't done this before outside validation is very, very useful.

Thank you once more
 
The ODIC---the learning curve for me was a rather lengthy one!

We all tend to overdo things at times---and then the knee reminds us in a not-so-gentle fashion of who is in charge!
 
I've had a miserable weekend of suffering because of it and today I'm still suffering, I was having some pain free walking and now I'm not, the knee is swollen and I'm back to doing 2 X 10 minute walks plus my PT exercises and the rest of the time just resting / elevating / icing. The post op blues have hit big time!!! I'm now 10 weeks and 3 days post op and suffering some (probably unnecessary) concern over whether I have done any harm to my new knee? Can the experienced amongst you give me some reassurance please? There is no sharp pain, no more heat than before and just a bit more swelling but it just feels sore and objects to too much walking. I also have to use one crutch again?
You sure did a lot in one day! Your knee may not have hurt at the time, but now it's letting you know that it wasn't ready to do so much.

There's every chance that you haven't done any permanent harm to your knee, but it now needs a period of rest, ice and elevation - lots of TLC - to allow it to calm down again. Cut out all the exercises until your knee is happy again.
It's a little setback, but only a temporary one.

For a long while, I used to find that just one extra thing each day was enough for my new knee.
 
Eyesnlegs: CRAZY, isn't it? What you stated with regards to exppecting to be so much better by now really struck a chord with me. You are right- no one tells you this before hand...I'm in disbelief that I'm still able to so little after 10 weeks post-op...especially compared to my thr's where I was back to work in six weeks and routinely exercising by eight weeks.
Hang in there my friend-you're not alone.

Getting ready for a good rain storm here which means it's a perfect time for a :kitty:
nap...take care of you
 
A knee replacement is a more complex operation than a hip replacement, so yes, recovery does take longer.
 
@Celle thanks for the sensible advice, I must admit it seems to be calming down now after my third day of inactivity! So I can see how right you are!

@Newbie tkr thank you for chipping in, not feeling alone is very important too and I appreciate that. I have felt so very miserable the last couple of days feeling I was going backwards, so your companionship on this journey is precious. Got your PM today and that made me smile, I'll answer you very soon!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom