Guest viewing is limited

TKR Saying hi and 2 weeks out<

I'm 5 days behind you, @Eyesnlegs I was given paracetamol and voltaren in hospital, with some tramadol thrown in from time to time. After that, it was brufen at home. I noticed I started getting heart "flutters" after a week of that. With my doctor in Germany on holiday, I have tried 24 hours on paracetamol/acetaminophen (UAE controls drugs carefully). The first night was rough, but I couldn't be sure of that was the meds or too much activity the previous day. I'm also trying visualisations to help me with the pain. Oh! And lots of cold packs. I should own stock.

Good luck!
 
@Eyesnlegs I had a Cryo Cuff but only used it for about 2 weeks as I found the ice packs were just easier to use.
I bought two big ones on amazon and had one on my knee and one in the freezer a lot of the time. The ice packs are much colder too.
 
Hi,

I am a few weeks ahead and I can vouch that if you follow the Bonesmart mantras, there are much better days ahead and not too far.
As days go by you will notice improvements. As small as they may be, there is always improvements. It could be having more balance while brushing your teeth, moving your leg left or right more easily, a little more bend, sleeping 1 hour more before waking up.
I have made it a goal to myself to pay attention and notice all these little improvements daily. It has help me keep positive in this very difficult step of the healing process. I would enjoy the moments when my leg would be "pain free". Yes there are little moments in the first few weeks where it does happen, just savour that and think that there will be more of those ahead!
 
@Newbie tkr Di, I just felt compelled to write back, thank you for opening up and telling me. I've just had 2 years of treatment for Complex PTSD and anxiety and yes that's why I've been panicking over everything. Pain triggers me too but I don't have any real choice as I react so badly to so many other painkillers.
So yes I know exactly how that feels and without my amazing therapist I couldn't have got through any of this :)

Yes that strange it looks as though you are literally 3 days ahead of me and I discovered this site after my surgery too. It's wonderful and has literally been my saving grace. The deep breathing and mindfulness came about through my CPTSD journey. Let's carry on comparing notes, be interesting to see UK vs US as well. Xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone find that you can only sit in certain positions on certain chairs or the like?

I'm having real problems sitting on a chair with my leg elevated on a stool but can a manage the bed or a sofa with feet up.
 
Most likely your knee is well supported on the couch or bed, and is not well supported with your foot on a stool. Suggest you avoid that position for now. As your knee heals you will be able to tolerate it.
 
When your knee is unhappy, it tell you with pain, swelling, discomfort, in the early days, it is saying to you. "Don't do that!"
By three months you should start feeling normal, with 10 to 12 months for complete healing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a revision of my left knee. With my original TKR the pain meds were making me sick so I stopped taking them altogether. I used ice and elevation as much as possible as that was the only thing I used for pain as even Tylenol ( paracetamol ) made me sick. I also had PT being very rough with me the day after I came home from the hospital. Unfortunately I hadn't found this forum last time.

Now I'm not quite a week out and I'm doing it right this time. I do have a cryocuff and I love it. It's on all day except when I'm up for the bathroom or to do a little walking in the house. I am able to take some pain meds this time but I'll probably begin to cut back soon since they make me kind of dizzy at times. The main difference is all the information I've gotten here and others that are always here to help you through the rough times.
 
the one I was at doesn't like you to use to much ice as it can cause nerve damage!
That's something of a myth! Tis true it's not wise to apply ice very much on areas with very little padding such the ankles, foot, elbow, wrist or hand. These areas also have a lot more superficial nerves than the main part of the body. But the other better padded areas such as hips and knees are not vulnerable in the same way and ice can be used for longer periods with safety provided you protect the skin.
I noticed that @Josephine used a Cryocuff and was just wondering if other had and is it worth the investment?
Oh it was! But it's use was pretty short lived - about 3-4 weeks. I also loaned it to two friends who had TKRs and then used it for my second knee so I've had good use of it!
Does anyone find that you can only sit in certain positions on certain chairs or the like? I'm having real problems sitting on a chair with my leg elevated on a stool but can a manage the bed or a sofa with feet up.
Did you read the articles Celle left you in post #5 of this thread? Because in it is an article about elevation which is full of suggestions for the correct and incorrect ways of elevating your leg.
 
Eyesnlegs: wow! We both have tkr's AND PTSD...let's become bff's, ha ha
I don't often have episodes of the PTSD but for some reason right now it feels like everything (and I mean EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE IS OUT OF MY CONTROL) which, now that I've actually said it, is probably a good thing. I'm most likely better off not trying to run the show anyway
I don't know what complex PTSD is...will you explain it to me?
Meanwhile, how is your new best buddy (the knee) doing? Are you both playing nicely together? Are you managing your pain okay? And...how is you sleep coming along?
I only woke up four times last night-but basically had the best sleep since my surgery.
Finally, where do you live in the U.K?
It's always such a gift to meet people from other parts of the world. I was born and raised in D.C. so I was fortunate to have friends from varied backgrounds...I learned so much from them.
Let's chat soon, yes?
Di
 
Sorry that you had a tough start. I had my LTKR on 3/8/16, so I am just 2 days ahead of you. Hang on there.

Paul
 
as I found the ice packs were just easier to use.
I bought two big ones on amazon and had one on my knee and one in the freezer a lot of the time.
I used Colpacs by the Chattanooga Colpac Co.---12" X 18"----they were awesome after my BTKR, and I still have them, so that if I have bumps, bruises, or strains, I can pull them out of the freezer downstairs.

Does anyone find that you can only sit in certain positions on certain chairs or the like?

Most likely your knee is well supported on the couch or bed, and is not well supported with your foot on a stool. Suggest you avoid that position for now. As your knee heals you will be able to tolerate it.
I concur!!! Listen to what that new knee is telling you. In time, this funny or uncomfortable feeling will subside.

I guess I just wondered if it was normal in the very early weeks?
In truth, the only thing that is normal is that there is really no normal!!
 
Hey Eyesnlegs: how are you? I've been sleeping a lot over the past couple of days...cannot believe I'm into my fourth week of recovery- feels like my first.
Tell me what's up with you...how's your ROM doing? Flexion?
Di
 
@Newbie tkr hi how you doing? Good to hear from you! I'm doing okay. Mine will be 3 weeks tomorrow, it feels longer lol.

I had a good nights sleep the night before last but I had Physio yesterday and it upset my knee a little so I didn't sleep too well last night. She didn't push me, we just tried a couple of new exercises but my knee wasn't ready for them just yet so we dropped them. She's very good and doesn't push me unless I want to try.

My ROM was 85 and flexion 0, I'm happy with that at this stage. After all I'm doing this with no strong painkillers just paracetamol and ice!

How are you getting on? Any Physio again yet it have you given up?
W xx
 
@Eyesnlegs Just saw how well you are doing on only paracetamol. It isn't easy but it is doable withe the ice. Your sleep issues will resolve but at the time it's a real nuisance. Just nap when you can. My sleep issue was sorted at about 4 weeks when I found I could sleep on my front! I just woke up on my front which is my usual sleeping position and everything got a bit easier from there.

It sounds as if you have a realistic physio too which must be a big help. But it's not a race and patience is really needed. I got so bored and watched a lot of rubbish tv!

I hope from now on that you find each week a little easier. You might have a few days when you don't feel you are making progress but keep looking back to where you started and this will all soon be over. Your flexion at 85 and extension at 0 is really good and my surgeon was much more keen on extension than flexion anyway as he said that flexion would come as the swelling goes down.

Best wishes
 
Thanks @SuperSnapper your email is really timely. I don't have a lot of patience with me! But I also don't have any other progress to compare with either. I thought maybe only using paracetamol was holding me back as I probably feel pain sooner when exercising than anyone on stronger painkillers.

I really wasn't sure that my progress was okay at all. So I'm really grateful for you jumping in and taking the time to reply.

Thank you xxx
 
I thought maybe only using paracetamol was holding me back as I probably feel pain sooner when exercising than anyone on stronger painkillers.
If you feel any pain during exercises, they are too much for your knee. Don't try to push through the pain. Discomfort is OK, but pain is not.
We do advise people not to take their medications in order to mask the pain of PT.

Please don't think that you need to do lots of exercises in order to rehabilitate your knee and that only taking Paracetamol is preventing you from doing that. You really only need to do some gentle
Heel slides and how to do them and walk around the house a bit.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom