THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

I'm sorry, Sara. I'm just now seeing this. Not sure how I missed it.
Yes, it's finally Spring here. Windows open all day, birds chirping, 70 degrees but still traces of snow on the ground. Should be gone in a day or two. I'll bet you're warmer being south of me. Hopefully you've been enjoying some beautiful weather and time outdoors. It's been a long Winter for most of us.

Yes, it's been a year since my moms THR and she's doing well. I hope things are going well with you.

Happy Two Year Anniversary on Lefty! Can't believe it's been that long already. Mine two year is coming up soon. It's flown by.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday weekend and a Happy Spring!
@SaraK
 
Hi Mojo and Layla! The reason it doesn't seem as long to you on Lefty is that I wasn't on BoneSmart at the time! I didn't join the party until shortly before the THR on the right several months later. Lefty seems so long ago and is so often ignored, in part because it is the good quiet kid that never gets in trouble, never causes problems and just fades into the background.

I decided to put off further specific exercises to increase active range of motion and just enjoy life for a while. I'm back at yoga and starting to hike, with kayaking planned in a couple of weeks. Saturday I enjoyed a peaceful drive through some pretty territory to arrive at a hike with friends. My fitbit says I did the equivalent of 54 flights of stairs during the 4 mile hike, including jumps across small creeks. Immediately after, I drove back and went to my appointment with my trainer. No dancing that night, but went to a games night with friends. This weekend, I'm doing a couple of 5-6 miles hikes - including one to hopefully see the blue bells in bloom.

Happy times! Take care and enjoy spring!
 
I decided to put off further specific exercises to increase active range of motion and just enjoy life for a while.


With all the activity your ROM will probably just come back naturally. You're doing great!
I wasn't around when you had Lefty done either. Well....I was probably lurking then. I joined in a panic the night before my surgery and thankfully people like Irish Joe and a few others quickly reached out....I was hooked. So your Left hip was replaced just a couple months ahead of my Right. Actually your first surgery was within days of Mojo's bilateral I believe.

Always nice to hear from you, Sara. I hope you have a great day and rest of the week! :)
@SaraK
 
Time does sneak up on us! It's hard to believe it's 2 years but, for all I notice that hip, it could have been 20 years ago or even never happened.

Yes, anniversaries for several friends coming up. Today is MyAussieGirl's for first hip and Mojo coming 2 weeks from now. With the whirlwind of getting ready for her son's wedding and getting ready to help with increased food insecurity issues after school gets out, she probably hasn't even noticed!
 
Follow up blood tests in and very good news! Normal chromium level (per blood test reference info on patient site) is less than 1.5 mcg/liter. In October, my level was at 8.6. Revisionist said it wasn't a number that alarmed him even though I have cobalt/chromium "femoral head" on both implants - he said it wasn't "that" high and the cobalt level wasn't elevated. After discontinuing chromium picolinate supplement 6 months ago, level is now down to 1.3 mcg/liter. Any remaining metallosis issue from prior test resolved.
 
Great news for your tests:yahoo:
thanks for the reminder for our friend MyAussieGirl.
I don't know whether to cheer or fear your ambitious plans...so I shall do both.

However...We got our hips replaced so we could live life...so you go girl.
:tada:
 
Happy 2 years for hip #1! That quiet, well-behaved child needs attention too. Glad to see that you are back out there enjoying life at top speed (or something approaching it)!
 
Sorry to hear you had a fall.
Hope you are icing that knee!
You forgot the No Falling Rule:what:
 
Yes, ma'am, I am icing the knee and its starting to feel better. It could have been much worse and luckily I could walk out (we were 1/2 way through a very hilly hike). My shin broke the fall, so I'm lucky no tib/fib fracture either - but I do have a very lovely bruise!

I'm afraid the no fall rule will never work for me as I get active. My mother tells me she almost gave me the middle name "Grace" and she wishes she had - then maybe I would have had some. :heehee:

But I do also seem to recall someone that likes to light fireworks and hope she can run away fast enough. And someone who rolled an ATM . . . I wonder who that could have been?
 
OMG! Did you see the news story about Nick Saban (for those of you who are across the pond or not into sports, he's the head coach for the University of Alabama football team and considered a God in the sports world)? He started having problems with his hip this spring, was evaluated and told he was bone on bone and had a hip replacement earlier this week (no waiting if you're a God, I guess). He used the walker for 1 day and is about ready to throw away the cane. He's upset they won't allow him to golf for 6 weeks - says he expects to be 100 percent in 2 weeks. He even went back to work after 2 days (but had to be driven). The dude even makes me seem like a stacker!
 
Amazes me how they’ve all the pain pre op but won’t give their body time to recover post op... lets hope he doesn’t live to regret it!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! "

Whatever he thinks, he's human and his body needs time to heal like the rest of us. And I hope no one says, well, if he can do it, so can I. :doh:
 
OMG! Did you see the news story about Nick Saban (for those of you who are across the pond or not into sports, he's the head coach for the University of Alabama football team and considered a God in the sports world)? He started having problems with his hip this spring, was evaluated and told he was bone on bone and had a hip replacement earlier this week (no waiting if you're a God, I guess). He used the walker for 1 day and is about ready to throw away the cane. He's upset they won't allow him to golf for 6 weeks - says he expects to be 100 percent in 2 weeks. He even went back to work after 2 days (but had to be driven). The dude even makes me seem like a stacker!

I am proud of him and happy that he has had his hip done. When are they doing his brain?
 
Sure - just give me a little advance notice!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom