THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

Hahaha! Love that "inner Mojo".
I know that you'll respect your doctor's instructions. I'm happy all went well with both appts.
Hopefully you'll soon be back to all your usual mischief. We're watching :skep: so behave!
Have a good one :)
@SaraK

Glad you had good reports today...guess the tattoo is a no go:shrug:
That is odd that you are just now hearing about hip dysplasia.
I mean I knew you were off kilter, but hey...weren't we all?
Hope you have a restorative week!:roseshwr:

It's usually my mental status someone is referring to when they say I'm off kilter! (That and being a dizzy broad since I have vertigo issues). It sounded like the dysplasia wasn't too bad but just enough to contribute to the psoas issue.

Tattoo is definitely a no-go anyway. I can't see a needle coming towards me or I pass out. The idea of a kajillion needle stabs? Shudder! (It's a good thing I'm already asleep when the scalpel comes my way).

I read something interesting about the next step in fighting resistant bacteria. Bacteriophages (or phages) attack particular bacteria and kill them without all of the problems with antibiotics that kill good bacteria as well. If the bacteria evolve to protect themselves from the phages, they may do so at the risk of becoming more susceptible to antibiotics.

I wonder if, at some point in the future, this could present a way to treat infections for joint replacement patients without the need for weeks of IVs and two stage replacements.

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2018/bacteriophage-solution-antibiotics-problem/

Very interesting, Sara.
Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a good one!
@SaraK

She's baaack! Energy finally back up to normal and pain from belly button incision gone. I went to the gym Saturday and lifted weights. Started at 50% of normal and increased each set until at 75% at end. Tomorrow I'll start at 75% and end at 100% if all feels ok. In the meantime, today I walked a 5K in 60 minutes. The funny thing was that the only soreness or pain was on the "good" hip (but that was just a bit of stiffness that worked it's way out after a couple of miles)! Feels good to get back to normal again. Now to get back into shape!

Last edited:
Great to hear things are improving...I hated to see you go through your other surgery so soon after the release procedure...but perhaps it am worked together for the Good as it gave you an opportunity to rest up.

I'm hopeful you'll be mindful of your PT regimen...sounds like you are building up slowly.:ok:
Have a good week, @SaraK :SUNsmile:

I guess you are back! Good to hear your pain has diminished also.
Does being back mean some of this > :happyfeet: will be happening on the weekend?
Glad to hear you're back to feeling like your old, new self :heehee:
Have a good one!
@SaraK

If I find a decent band, yes, dancing will be on the agenda for Friday night. Saturday is Game Night with one of my groups so I'll do that instead that night. May be good, since I'll also work with the trainer Saturday.

Look at you balancing out your activity like an old pro :wink: :ok:
@SaraK

@SaraK - happy to hear that you are back!!! Lifting weights so soon after surger(ies)? Oh my! Now you make me feel lazy :yawn: When I've gone to the gym, I look at the weights and go "eh - maybe tomorrow". Or "oh look, too many people in the weight area. guess I'll just have to wait until another time".... so in the meantime :upright:

@Marvy - the new hip doc said I could do weights immediately. So I did (ok, waited a few days but even PT gave me the go-ahead and he's usually very cautious). I was already doing only things that didn't impact psoas too much any way.

Other surgeon gave me go ahead at 2 week point but told me to start lower and increase if all felt ok. She left it to me to define lower - bad mistake! Of course, I don't intend to do anything that could bust something open inside so I'll save setting world records for next week!

Plus, I'm sure little ol' me isn't lifting the sort of weights you would! You might give it a little more time (10 minutes work for you?).

I'm guessing you've been doing well?
I am so hopeful this spring will be a great season of health and happiness for you.
:flwrysmile:

Ditto, sweet Sara.
Hope today is a good one! Are you out on the weekends doing the hippy hippy shake yet? :happyfeet:
@SaraK

Hello Layla and Mojo! :loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:
I check in once in a while, but don't have much new to post. Yes, I'm out there :happyfeet::walking::upright::yahoo::happydance:and lifting weights. I did a 6 mile walk in the park on Sunday with no pain during or after and no problem getting into the car after. I do flights of stairs regularly and easily.
I have the ability to do most day to day things with no pain and greater movement "assisted" (i.e. using my hands to help) - the main thing I'm still working on is being able to cross my leg without using a boost from my hands. The range of motion on the leg with psoas release is about the same as the other leg. I'm in the "wow, this is WONDERFUL" stage and moving towards the "hip, what hip" (think of Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein as I say that) stage.
Life is GOOD! Thank you both for all your support during my initial recovery and thru all of this! Especially with a long recovery, many of my cohort have drifted away and gotten on with their lives (which they should) and having the two of you keep in touch and provide support is greatly appreciated!
Happy Spring!

What a great update, Sara. You're doing so well!
I'm happy things are finally falling into place for you. Thanks for stopping by.

I understand, life moves forward and there comes a time to jump back in and fully engage. After all that's why we go through all of this. Please continue to stop by periodically as your contributions have always been supportive and I'm sure beneficial to many.

First day of Spring....happy dance! :happydance: :happyfeet: :chuckmarch:
@SaraK

Seeing all the destruction for farmers in your area due to the flooding.
Hope you are on high ground...physically, mentally and emotionally!
Have a good weekend!:SUNsmile:

@SaraK - I guess it's a good thing that you have nothing new to post! I'm really happy for you and the progress you have made! I know it has to be a great feeling to have this all behind you now.

(I love the Marty Feldman comment :rotfl: ) Hopefully we will all get to that point!

Keep on :happyfeet: but remember to take time once in a while for :bath:

Layla, are you starting to experience spring there yet? I hope the flooding isn't affecting your area. I saw that it's been a year since our mom had her hip replacement. I hope she is doing well and making you chase her around! Give her a hug and kiss from her virtual daughter (you can pretend it's from you).

Mojo, the flooding hasn't hit this side of the state as hard yet and I don't think the current flooding forecast is as bad here. Where I live and work, basically the entire city would need to be covered in water. My hometown on KC side is high and dry but there's usually a week or two each year that the highways in and out are closed. I do feel for those affected, though. If/when they start to do sandbags around here, I will go help. It's been a number of years since I've done it, but I feel like I could now.

Good to hear from you @Marvy ! I'm glad I've met you along this journey. You're going to be here soon enough! It's so good to see that you're finally on the right path. That strengthening will take time. I'm dealing with that as well. I don't know if this hip will ever be quite the same as the other, but I'm not sure that I care as long as it doesn't bother me or interfere with things I want to do. And the good news is that just living your normal life is part of the strengthening process. Now, if only we could do a TJR (total jerk replacement) that would allow you to stay at your current job but replace the person causing pain and creating problems for you!

Have a wonderful weekend all!

@SaraK
Hi my favorite stress-inducing hippy pal.
Have you been behaving?
Crazy days in Mojo land due to family/work related fires burning.:blackcloud:
Hope all is well..will holler at you soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom