Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandpiper, being AWOL because you are enjoying life with your new hip is exactly what is supposed to happen! I sure hope you like your work if you have to work such long hours. :) And do remember that FULL recovery takes at least a year; often up to two. You have lots of healing yet to do....which means the best is yet to come. Check in any time, and never hesitate to pick anyone's brain around here.

Also, thanks for stopping by my thread. Yes, all is going well for me. And in January, I will make good on a plan that got its start during the early days of recovery from my first hip...I am finally starting law school. Life is indeed good.

Sharon
 
sandpiper great to hear from you.. I can almost feel your excitement about going back to work and getting back into normal life.. Not sure about the long days... I do those kind of hours myself and they are certainly energy draining even at 2 years post... Take care of yourself :)

Oh, btw, have you seen this new section of the library....

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Hi sandpiper, Good to hear from you and that you are doing well and like Sharon says just getting on with life!! I've been back at work so long now it feels like I've never been away and I'm doing really well it's hard to believe I've had 2 new hips this year. Off to London to do some Christmas shopping tomorrow so that'll be a good test for them, might just have to have an extended relaxing lunch break!! Take care x
 
sandpiper Hi! Thanks for the shout out. I'm doing pretty well with the new hip. Thanksgiving was a test for me as I was cooking for 16, and between the shopping, chopping, set up and clean up I was wondering how my new hip would hold up. No problems at all! Still having twinges in the unoperated hip, and now having PT for the arthritis in the base of my thumbs, but overall doing okay with life.

Regarding the soreness near your incision, I am just past seven months and though I can sleep on the operated side I still have a little soreness there. It gets better every month but I feel it. I guess we are slowly knitting back together.

Good to hear from you. Take care.
 
sandpiper glad to hear all is well. I have been back to work for a couple of months moved my office to home last week Wednesday right before Thanksgiving. Peace love and happiness wished on you and your for the holidays.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
Good to hear that things are going well and you are back enjoying life and busy, busy, busy. It will keep on getting better. You really will forget that hip on of these days. Oh, and that soreness at the incision site---I'm three years post op on the Dec. 17--and if I press on the incision it is still just a little bit sensitive---so nothing t worry about.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hi all! Just thought I'd drop by and say hello to all my favorite friends! My update...well....went back to work finally and did really well. Was exhausted by Friday evening but otherwise no pain to speak of. Still some pulling and a bit of burning at the incision site and my knees make some God awful cracking and popping sounds which they never did before...but...no pain. I forget what that bone on bone pain was like (which is a good thing!!). Life is finally getting back to normal and I find myself doing things I haven't even thought about doing for months and months! Like crossing my legs when I sit !!! It just happens! Some people I run in to comment about the fact that I was out for 5 months and I want to just say..." really...you think that's too long...ok...well when someone chops off the top of your femur and drills into the marrow of your bone, then hammers a rod straight down into it......not to mention...all the cutting, sewing, and yanking on the muscles....you let me know how fast you should be up and running!!" LOL I get defensive! Ha! I have noticed now that the temperatures are dropping I get a bit stiff but hey......no complaints here! I really am glad I was able to spend the time recovering and in PT that I feel I really needed! I feel very grateful that I could concentrate on getting myself back to a good place before returning to an 11 1/2 hr. work day. I know that played a big part in the length of time it took for my surgeon to release me. It was worth the wait because I did great my first week back! I work with young children in a school and I got soooooo many hugs my first day back that I spent the rest of the day with an enormous smile plastered on my face !!! Nothing like a bunch of smiling little faces to perk a person up!!! God bless my friends! I will be thinking of all of you this New Year's eve and praying that all of you have a wonderful 2014! No surgeries....no recoveries...and NO PAIN!!! :angel:Cheers to you my hippie family!!:cheers2: :nativity::xmas-merry:
 
:santa sleigh:hope Santa brings you everything on your wish list!!!!!!
 
@Jamie ,@fiddletwist ,@skylark:huggy santa:HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOUR MY HIPPIE FRIENDS! WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST FOR 2014!!
 
@Butterfly ,@bsilvers,@adobo :santa sleigh:wishing you all the best for the holidays and a wonderful (PAIN FREE) 2014!!!
 
I truly hope that I did not leave any of my BS friends out when I sent my holiday messages. There are soooooo many of you and every single one of you that I 've met here has truly given me something valuable, that I will never forget, over these past months of recovery. I am eternally grateful to all of you for your support and listening ears. I wish you all a wonderful holiday with your families and the happiest and healthiest of new years!!! You are all in my thoughts during this wonderful magical time of year!!! :reindeer::xmas candle:
Happy Holiday my friends!!:huggy santa:
 
@sandpiper you sound like you are doing really well. I've had some cracking and clicking with my knees too. I noticed it as soon as I stopped using crutches. In my case it's got to do with the thigh muscle being weak, and I've found that over the months it has improved significantly, which is good. I had a run in with a couple of people too who thought I could be doing this and that and told me so in no uncertain terms. I was flabbergasted! And really upset by it, but have come to realise what kind of women they are. I should have sent them a link to a YouTube video of the op, and pictures of what bone on bone really is, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. People like that are not worth wasting energy on. Well that's what I tell myself, but doing it is another matter. :heehee: Have a wonderful Christmas.

@Littlejem I had to laugh, I feel like I've never been away from work either! Even after having seven weeks off earlier in the year for surgery, I can't wait for my two week break that starts this afternoon, (Christmas Eve). I hope you have a great Christmas too.
 
@octopus Isn't it amazing how people who have no idea at all of what we have been through have all these opinions about what we should be doing and criticisms of how we are doing?? During my horrible pre-op pain when I was still trying to work my boss thought I was making a mountain out of a molehill and made that crystal clear at every chance. It hurt my feelings very deeply. I really had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from saying what I really thought, but I needed to keep working until I hit full retirement age (67). Some people are so self-centered they cannot see beyond the end of their own nose!! As they say though, "what goes around, comes around" . . . .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom