TKR Sabad's Recovery Is Underway!<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck on your surgery. I was very nervous the day of surgery. But if you have good surgeon. It should all go well. I'll watch for how your doing.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Three weeks before surgery the hospital had a 1 day class to go over everything you need to know about surgery. They gave us a binder showing pictures of the exercises. They took us showed our rooms. Anesthesiologist went over what they do. The physical therapists showed how to do the exercises. It was well done and very important part of my surgery.

I thought all hospitals did it. I started the exercises right away. Did them when I got up in the morning and when I went to bed at night. I thought it was a very important part of my pre surgery.

The exercises were: ankle pumps, glut sets and quad sets, hip abduction and addiction, slide heels, short arc quads and straight leg raises. For short arc quads I took 2 number 10 cans taped them together with duct tape wrapped a towel sound and attached the end with hair bands or heavy duty rubber bands would work. Take it easy with the exercises. Some of them do hurt a little. But if able to do them do help in your PT after surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just trying to relate how things have gone with my surgery. Hoping my experiences are a help to others.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well it's been about a week. PT is going great. Very little pain. Just when I try to push to hard to flex to 120. Extension has been pretty easy to hit 0 with little or no pain. Still going 3 times a week. Been working on step ups. Struggling a little tend to keep my leg straight when I bring it up. It's from many years of walking that way. If I think about it I can do it right. Squats are still a little hard. But I can do them. Friday will be 6 weeks so I should be able to start driving. Over the weekend I stopped taking my pain meds. For the most part it was not a problem. Monday morning I took one and Tuesday morning. I will probably skip today. The idea is I don't want to be on meds while driving. Have decided if I do experience some pain then I will take it before bed. Sometimes you depend on pain pills to much. When you really don't need them. You just take them because people tell you you should. The head nurse from the hospital called to check up on me yesterday. She says she dies her 30 day review of the knee patients. She did ask me if I was still taking my meds. I told her I didn't take them over the weekend. She said that was fine. So once I'm driving starting this weekend I should be able to drive places and do more walking. Getting ready to ditch the cane I don't really need it. Haven't been using it around the house. Well if I was to say I have anything that bothering me. It's still having some sleeping issues it's mostly getting comfortable. And I'm a little depressed. The depression has nothing to do with my knee per say. It's involving work stuff. Basically have decided to just wait and see what happens when I go back. Then I will make some important decisions. Other then those two things. I'm doing good and feeling good. Oh one last thing that I believe has helped the past week. I asked the PT about the scar if there was anything I could do with the scar to relieve some of the pins and needles type pain. Other then massaging it with lotion. She showed me what I could try. Has helped relieve that pain tremendously. It also helps to even out the scar. Just thought I'd throw that in. You all have a great week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My dr's PA and my pt people told me that weather will definitely effect my new parts. It is good to know, I either forgot that part from my info from before surgery or they didn't tell me. ;)
 
Yes definitely effects. Today wet and chilly out. I certainly feel the added pain and stiffness. Top that trying to fight off a cold. So PT today was a little harder then usual.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well not much to report from. Not much pain. PT going fine. Fighting a cold. Kinda slowed recovery down a little. Just a little stiffness in the knee. Thinking all the rain and chilly weather may be part of that. Other then stiffness everything seems to be fine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Friday was 6 weeks. Hope to be back to work in less then 6 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well my PT is almost finished about 6-7 more sessions. If dr releases (which shouldn't be a problem). I'll be back to work May 5. No longer on meds unless I feel I'm needing them. I have just a few left I will save in case I need them once I'm back to work. I will probably go to over the counter meds if I need anything in the future. Which I doubt. PT was a huge help to me. I am sorry so many people have had bad luck with Physical Therapists. But I feel it's not right to say PT is not good. Like I've said here along each person has had their own experiences. Some has been because of the doctor others may have been not shown proper procedures before and after surgery. I myself had a very good surgeon. A great hospital. And a very good PT team. I also had a great attitude throughout and did as I was told. This will probably be my last post. I thank you all for your help and understanding. You all take care. Good luck to you all. I will still be in and out checking up on a couple of April patients.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I may do a follow up in 5 weeks to let you all know how knee responds at work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, please do come back and let us know how you're getting on when you're back at work.

As far as PT is concerned, if you have a good therapist who does not push or rush you, then all is good. Therapists like that, unfortunately, seem to be hard to find. If you have one, hang on to her/him.
But, if you encounter a bad therapist, it is better to do your exercise by yourself, at home. No therapy is better than bad therapy.

My surgeon does not allow any formal PT until a month after surgery. We don't lie around, doing nothing, though. We walk around the house and garden. After a month, we can go to PT, where we are shown exercises, which we do at home. That worked for my first two knee replacements. For my last one, I already knew the routine, so I didn't go to PT at all. Mostly, I made my everyday life into my therapy.
 
Yes you are right that's how it should be. Do what's best for you. Me I got lucky. The hospital I was at specialized in bone and joint surgery. So I was in the best of hands.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to doctor yesterday. We agreed upon a day to go back to work. Asked me to straighten my leg. Was quite happy. He said PT no longer needed. But I've decided to get a membership (gym where I had my PT) to continue with some work on stationary bike and other work out machines. Taking it easy of course. The idea is to continue workouts on my own. Knowing if I need help there is somebody there. The idea is also to lose more weight. I've lost about 50 lbs since November. Want to lose 45 more in the next few months. I know my knee has a ways to go. But I will take it easy at work and ice at the end of if need be.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm happy your OS is pleased with your progress! What's your return date and the type of work you do?

I actually got a recumbent bike for my house so I could use it at home whenever I wanted (I was still working and not wanting to go out again after work) and now I use it to help with my weight loss. Presently I'm walking twice a day, wishing I had started walking sooner after my surgery though. I actually didn't discover BoneSmart until after my recovery so I didn't know walking was so good for my knee.
 
May fifth is return date. I'm a chef manager at a college. I will be on my feet some. But also in my office. May 5 till about the 21 will be a busy time. It's graduation and board of trustee time. I knew I was needed back at this time. But I also know we are shut down for a couple weeks so it will be some time to rest. The weather is getting nice. So going to go to local park to do some walking before I go back to work. I didn't do as much walking as I should have. I just started driving last week but it rained all week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Think about when you'll be able to sit and elevate during the day. Is there someway you can do that at your desk? You'll want to take ice or gel packs with you. I had a 30 minute drive to work and sometimes used a gel pack on my drive.
 
I have my ice pack I'm taking. There's a freezer next to my office. So yes that was my plan. I only have a couple minute drive.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok really having trouble sleeping. I've tried sleep music. Therapeutic essential oils (just started that last night helped a little). Bran cereal with warm milk and a banana ( read that was good for helping to sleep). Usually my Cpap machine helps relax me and it hasn't (I've had a nasty cough for about 3-4 weeks makes it hard to use mask). Started melatonin last night (this might be the trick. Helped a little last night). If anyone has any other ideas pass them my way. Someone suggested sleepy time tea. I want to keep away from sleeping aids don't want to mix with my daily meds. Thank you in advance. Everything with knee seems to be fine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I used Tylenol pm to get my body back into a normal sleep rhythm. Once I was able to sleep on my side and move around in bed sleeping became easier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom