THR Rutabaga is recovering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How wonderful! You're doing fabulous!!!! I also notice my op leg is a bit weaker than prior to my THR. I imagine once my other hip is done, I'll need to work on strengthening both hips/legs. I haven't noticed any energy drain for the past couple of weeks, have you?
 
Don't worry about being boring - it's so good to read about such positive progress!
 
@Rutabaga - Great update! You are doing wonderfully with your recovery! :yes!: Glad you are off the meds and doing fine with it now. And sleeping on both sides! Fabulous. Hope you return to work when you really feel up to it.
Keep us posted how things go! :)
 
I haven't noticed any energy drain for the past couple of weeks, have you?

I haven't noticed the energy drain for at least a week. A few weeks ago I definitely had the energy drain just from standing in the kitchen trying to cook. To be honest I haven't been that active so I can't really tell how much energy I actually have. I guess I should test that out before I commit to going back to work! Most of the exercise I'm getting is just walking around stores shopping and some walking on the treadmill about 20 min at a time.
 
Well, that's quite a bit of exercising! Because of my bad hip I'm lucky to walk 500 feet a day! :heehee:
Although I don't feel the energy drain, I know my mind has become quite forgetful and easily distracted. I'm not sure if it's leftover from my previous THR or if it has to do with the worrying I experienced waiting for those test results. I do know one thing, my brain ain't what it used to be! One would assume I had a lobotomy rather than a hip replacement! :snork:
 
@Rutabaga
Sounds like you are doing very well. It's amazing how quickly time goes by.
Hope you have a good transition to working.
Have a good day.
 
5 weeks post-op update

I'm still having knee pain and stiffness so I decided to go the full 6 weeks before heading back to work. They weren't expecting me back early anyway so I thought I might as well rest another week. I'm starting back next Wednesday officially. I thought it might be easier if I start mid-week so I only have to do three days in a row the first week. I will probably take Aleve before each shift.

After my last update I've started forcing myself to do stairs normally instead of stepping on each step with both feet. I have to use the railings for support most of the time (because of pain, not because I don't have the strength). It hurts my knee quite a bit, especially going up the stairs. I'm hoping that will subside soon!

My back has been hurting today; if I touch back there it is really tender like a bruise in one spot. I don't know if it's related to the THR or not. Probably not. I was playing with my kitten having him chase my toes around through the glass of the coffee table last night. He was jumping around and arching his back and falling off the table and jumping right back up. It was hilarious but I was lifting my leg a lot (my non-op leg) and I think that's why my back hurts. It was an awkward position. :catwindow:

My incision still has two little scabs on it that haven't healed yet so I still can't submerge and take a bath! Maybe next week. :bath:

Thanks to anyone that's still following my progress!! I will probably stop posting soon unless something happens and I need advice! :thankyou:
 
I'll be so sorry not to read your updates! :-( I guess we must move on some day, so we can kind of forget that our hips have been replaced. I think you are wise starting mid week, rather than working five straight days while still having some pain issues. Wishing you well! :-)
 
@Cynthia777 I'm sure I'll be back 'round these parts when I have to get the left hip done! My surgeon said he could tell by looking at my x-rays that a LTHR was in my future. I don't have any symptoms as of yet though.
 
As much as I'd like to see you come back, I would hope it would be just to drop by to say hi! Hopefully you won't need another THR for years to come! :-)
 
I meant to add this photo to my last post - incision at 5 weeks if anyone is curious!
(front of leg)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Rutabaga is recovering!
    incision week 5.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 170
Well I wasn't planning on posting again but I think I'm addicted to sharing my story with strangers or something. :snork:

6 week update
Things are going so good! I went back to work this week and I literally forgot all about my hip several times while I was working. I only remembered if I bent forward or down really far or stood up too quickly. The first day back I was a little stiff but by Friday I was walking normally and without pain! There has been a huge difference between week 5 and week 6. To be fair some of it might have been because I took an Aleve before work each day and the previous 3 weeks I wasn't taking any meds. But today is Saturday, I didn't take anything, and I literally almost ran up the stairs with no pain and got to the top and realized what I'd just done and was like :yahoo:"MY HIP IS HEALED!" I also have been getting in and out of bed without even thinking about my hip, not having to sit first and swing my legs over the side. No more pain while I'm sleeping, either!

The swelling/tightness in my hip is so minimal and is lessening every day. The only bad symptom that is still lingering is that I still have no feeling on the skin to the left of my incision. I have my "6 week" post op on Tuesday and will ask the surgeon if it's permanent nerve damage or if the numbness might go away eventually.

THR IS AWESOME :wow:
 
So glad you are having such great results at 6 weeks! I hope to have a similar result and will try and rest as much as I can to achieve a similar result.
Did you have the anterior method @Rutabaga?


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Rutabaga
Look at you! You're doing so wonderful and sharing your successful story will help many others during their pre-op journey. I'm glad you updated again and I for one hate to see you go. Congrats! Hugs!
 
@dandy_candi Yes I had anterior approach. Is that what you're having? I think I would have been annoyed by the movement restrictions with posterior approach.
 
9 weeks update:
Doing great! Going back to work at 6 weeks went just fine. I was kinda worried since a lot of people here seem to wait a lot longer before they get back to work. I am back to normal and feeling good. My energy drain is pretty much over I think. I am still taking it easy with exercise because I don't want to overdo it. Basically the exercise I get at work is all I do, I'm not doing anything on top of that when I get home. I had to turn down some friends for a hiking trip last weekend even though I really wanted to go. I just didn't think I should push myself that much yet!

As for the medical stuff -
I still have a little bit of knee pain when going up the stairs but it's getting better daily.
I do not take ANY medications for pain anymore!! Stopped after that first week of work. I don't need it!
Still have numbness next to incision. Doc was suprised it was on the groin side of the incision (typically it's on the other side) and said it might come back with time.
I have no limping when I walk. Never felt an issue with LLD or anything so that's great!
Sleeping normally with no real discomfort.
Still can't bring my knee up to my chest yet without feeling my body be like "UM PLEASE STOP DOING THAT THANKS" but that's really the only movement issue I have left.
I'm slightly disappointed with my scar. It's a lot thicker and darker red than I thought it would be. I also thought that the staple hole marks would disappear quickly, but they are all still lingering and haven't really faded at all. It looks virtually the same as the 5 weeks photo I posted. However, an ugly scar is a small price to pay for elimination of pain! I'll take it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom