Guest viewing is limited

TKR RunningFree's Second TKR Recovery

I have been a poor sleeper for years and it was definitely worse after my PKR.
Even small amounts of discomfort, which don't bother you during the day will keep you awake.
Here are the following tips that I found useful.
I iced before bed and then slept with my knee resting on the open iced water jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff ( refilling with cold water when I woke to go to the toilet).
I got a short prescription of zopiclone from my GP, which I interspersed with diphenhydramine ( Nytol in UK) from the chemist, to avoid any tolerance. Later I gradually switched to herbal valerian and melatonin.
Some people find magnesium helpful, but it didn't do much for me.
Limit any caffeinated drinks after about lunchtime.
In the early stages after surgery, just rest and sleep when you can. But later, try to avoid daytime naps and get back to a regular bedtime, avoiding any blue light/ screens before bed.
Lack of sleep is miserable. Good luck.
Thanks EalingGran, I have managed to cut the day time nap out and I go to bed if I feel I’m going to nod off during the evening. It’s something I’m going to have to get through and I’m sure it will pass, like the odd feelings I get in my foot since my new knee. I don’t seem to have pain at night thankfully.
 
Thanks Layla lots of ideas in EalingGran and your messages for me to try, i will happily try some of these out and let you know how it goes. I am so happy I’m at 10 weeks plus and the worst is behind me. Not sure how you all feel about something I was told for pain relief but it’s making a difference to me and that is to cut up a nicotine patch to get 3mg and place it on my knee. Well away from the scar. I don’t smoke. I’m not sure if the pain has gone because I’m 10 weeks plus or the patch is making the difference. But since starting it 3 days ago my knee is so much better.
 
You're welcome, Runningfree. It's our pleasure to offer you support.

I'm happy for you that your knee is feeling better. At ten weeks post op, as you mentioned, you can naturally begin having noticeable improvement so it would be difficult to confirm whether the nicotine patch has contributed. This is the first time I've ever heard this mentioned.

You may want to run using the nicotine patch by your OS's care team. My assumption is that your surgeon will advise against nicotine in any form if possible, but I may be wrong. At any rate...great news you're feeling better!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Runningfree
 
@Runningfree

I did some research on this and here's what I found. Nicotine may provide some anti-inflammatory benefits in the treatment of certain diseases. However, there is also evidence that it can have a pro-inflammatory effect, depending upon dose. While researchers think its use in treating certain diseases is promising, very little investigation has been done to determine safe and effective dosage.

Since the benefits seem to come from its anti-inflammatory effect, I'd err on the side of caution here and use an NSAID (ibuprofen or topical diclofenac) instead - unless a physician advised you to use it this way.
 
Thank you Benne68 for doing that research. I have stopped using it and knee feels the same. I had my first NHS session at the gym with PT today. I was very happy to learn I have a 125 degree bend and I was able to use all 5 apparatus for the 3 mins each without any pain or serious discomfort in my knee. My straight leg on the bed could do with a bit more work tho. What I did find was that both my thighs ached and were very tired on two of the apparatus, I am still using a stick walking outside and realise its because of my weak legs. I thought my weariness was to do with my new knee, I am now convinced it’s the weak thigh muscles. I had AFib for 3 years prior to my second RTKR. I was not able to exercise as I used to. I had a successful ablation 13 months ago. So decided to go ahead with new knee op. Sadly I am finding my legs are not that strong for the walking and life I’m trying to lead now. Can 82 year old legs regain muscle for more strength and stability? Thanks again.
 
Can 82 year old legs regain muscle for more strength and stability? Thanks again
Yes- it is possible to regain muscle but it does get harder as we age. Pilates is my go to for safe strength work.
My pilates teacher has loads of free classes on YouTube ( Google Katja pilates).
There is a knee friendly glutes one with no squats. Start gently and build up slowly. Bands and light weights can be added in at about 5- 6 months. Just listen to your body and dont do anything that hurts. Pushing too much will just lead to inflammation and be counterproductive.
 
hopefully this may give me some strength back
It certainly can. Stay consistent and don't discount diet, adequate nutrition / protein are very important.
Working on this can improve your balance, help you to avoid falls and improve your overall independence.
I am excited for you to begin seeing results. Best Wishes! Please keep us posted on your progress, RF.
@Runningfree
 
How are you feeling this week, @Runningfree ? How you are noticing a bit of improvement. Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
:wave:HAPPY THREE MONTH ANNIVERSARY!
I hope you're
doing well and enjoying some pleasant Spring weather.
Wishing you continued strength, steady progress and perfect healing.
Enjoy the weekend, RF.
@Runningfree
 
Thank you Benne68 and Layla. During my 13th week recovery I can see and feel good changes, the stiffness is starting to reside at long last, I am much more comfortable at night, still not getting 4 hours sleep, but I do go straight back to sleep when I turn over, that is so much better, so I am assuming full sleep is a matter of time now. I find standing for any length of time a bit awkward but I can walk shop and do light housework now.
I recently met up with 2 other ladies recovering TKR and we were in similar positions of recovery, it was reassuring to hear. PT says my knee bend is very good, I need a bit more straight leg to go. Overall he is happy with what I can do.

Thank you and the rest of your team for being part of this fabulous site and helping me and many others through the grim times of TKR. I’m very happy I am on the other side of it now, it was made much easier with your encouragement and solid good advice for which I am extremely grateful.
 
Aww, you're so kind, Runningfree. We appreciate your sweet, thoughtful words.
Thanks for updating us on your progress. It's great you're seeing and feeling positive change in your recovery. Regaining the ability to maintain your home through light housework and getting out to shop and feel like part of the world again are great milestones. Sounds like your PT is happy with the strides you're making and its always reassuring to speak with other's who've undergone the same procedure and are healing with you in real time.
Please don't be a stranger here, we're interested in your accomplishments and love cheering you on.
A great week to you! :)
@Runningfree
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Runningfree!
I hope you're still doing well and continue to make progress in your recovery.
May Summer 2026 be one of your best! Stay cool, I know you've had some challenging heat across the pond, just as we have here in the states.
Take care! :)
@Runningfree
 
Checking in on your five month post op date to say Hi:hi: and wish you a Happy Five Month Anniversary!
We'd love to hear how you're doing, Runningfree. Please let us know next time you're on the forum.
Wishing you the best and hope to hear from you soon!
@Runningfree
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom