Guest viewing is limited

TKR RunningFree's Second TKR Recovery

Because I’m a NHS pt I don’t have any physio appts. I’m doing my own when I can. For my first TKR a friend said to get a child’s skateboard, which I did. It was a knee saver for me because just four weeks post surgery I was taken into hospital for 4 weeks with heart problem. No physio or even help with my knee, it was just left. But I used to sit on my hospital bed daily just using the skateboard back and forth. To my amazement and delight that knee healed really well. So I am using it again for this knee. Just a thought in case any one would want to do the same.
Proof that we don’t always need a list of exercises, with x amount of reps, x amount times a day, that can sometimes overwork our healing knee, causing increased swelling and inflammation, which can actually slow our healing. Thank you for posting this.
 
Thanks for sharing that useful tip, Runningfree!
For those that don't have a skateboard, a plastic bag, like the type we get at the store will also help with that sliding motion, reducing friction from carpet or bed. Same for a cookie sheet! Who'd have thought that the same object used to make sweet treats can be used for heel slides to aid in keeping stiffness at bay.
I hope you have the same great result with this knee, that you did with your first.
Happy Healing! :)
@Runningfree
 
When I had my surgery I was part of a bowling league. I waited until I was 3 months post op to gradually start bowling again. The bowling alley had chairs attached to the tables, and they swung in and out. I would sit there and swing back and forth, and it would gently bend my knee, like that skateboard motion.
 
what a good idea about a skateboard! now i wish i had kept one of our boys' but maybe i can track one down. I'd like to try that out!
You can also use a plastic grocery bag. They slide really easily.
 
hi @Runningfree , have just been reading some of your posts. what a good idea about a skateboard! now i wish i had kept one of our boys' but maybe i can track one down. I'd like to try that out!
A friend from Canada told me about the skateboard, without it I don’t think I would have had such a good working knee, it’s the only exercise I was able to do from my hospital bed.
 
Love it!
We have a longstanding member on the Hip Forum, Eman85, who often recommends going to a big box store and walking around with a shopping cart to work on gait post op. Now we have "skateboard therapy" to add to "grocery cart therapy", lol. :wink: As long as it's safe...whatever works! :thumb:
 
I’m week 4 tomorrow still no sign of physio appt NHS. So I’ve booked a private session tomorrow. I think I’m doing ok but would like reassurance from physio. This TKR has been more painful than the last one. But i do go out and walk for 30 mins each day followed by a coffee with a good and very patient friend.
I don’t seem to have much energy and can be lightheaded if I’m on my feet too long, I’m ready to fall asleep a lot of the time. Nights are still broken every 4 hours or so, I get out of bed and walk about. I sometimes wake myself up really stretching out the operated leg until the pain wakes me up. I guess it’s nighttime exercises. I should add I’m a full time carer for my husband, we have carers in 4 times a day but I guess I’m doing more than is ideal and may account for my tiredness. Anyone else feel tired. It’s great to come to this site and just say it how it is knowing there are folk on here who understand and offer help
 
caring for your husband as well as yourself sounds like a lot! i envy you the 30 mins of walking. I've been told no more than 5-10 mins an hour, which doesn't go far! hope you've had a pleasant day. what's spring treating you like there? we're in the Pacific Northwest of North America , (the Southwest of Canada? ) and that phrase "April is the cruelest month" definitely applies here!
 
It’s been a really lovely Spring after so much rain and high winds, I was able to sit in the garden this afternoon, sadly we can’t rely on this weather so we make the most of days like this week. I will have to check with physio about walking 30 mins maybe it’s too much but my leg feels comfortable
 
Hi Runningfree, hope you can keep your spirits up. I had revision surgery 20 March and do remember the long struggle with both TKR surgeries (2012 (R) and 2022 (L)) with Pain management. Fortunately for me this time it started out the same: super painful to move, but now not so bad ( just sore) almost like week 9 and it’s week 3. Going to hydrotherapy next Monday, walking without aids and driving as I’m off the more powerful drugs just paracetamol as needed. It’s a long road to full recovery. For me it was about a year for each knee to be pain free and strong. I was concerned a six week period before returning to work wouldn’t be enough, but this surgery is different and it seems possible now. Best of luck and listen to your body. If you’re in pain do something about it: Stretch and heal.
 
Thank you Aussie Bill nice to hear it’s been easier for you this time. I’m thinking how wonderful summer will be walking without pain and knee giving out on me when I least expect it to.

I have got my first physio appt tomorrow morning. I’m very happy about that. Plus I did have a reasonably good nights sleep, that is always a plus, I’m sure as I’m on week 4 today things will start getting easier.
 
I should add I’m a full time carer for my husband, we have carers in 4 times a day but I guess I’m doing more than is ideal and may account for my tiredness.
Oh my, you are doing way too much for this early in your recovery. No wonder you are tired. Walking 30 minutes a day is adding to your discomfort and tiredness. How about walking every few days instead of every day. Your body and knee needs rest in between your extra walking.
 
Yay for sleep! :egypdance:
I’m sure as I’m on week 4 today things will start getting easier.
I felt one month post op was a turning point of sorts, the first big milestone after "one week post op" I recall thinking how excited I'd be to have 'one week' of recovery under my belt, ambitious goals...NOT :heehee:

You're making steady progress and hopefully your Physio does not set you back. Remember s-l-o-w and easy and you're the boss during those sessions, so please don't let the therapist push you into anything that causes you pain.
Best Wishes! Please let us know how it goes.
 
Hi physio went well, the physiotherapist was very gentle and did not put my knee under any pressure. He said I had a 120 degree bend which I am pleased with and I did all the exercises required and was taught new ones to start. He was happy with the progress I had made so far. I would have loved to tell him about Bone Smart and the very laid back approach I’ve been able to take exercising, thanks to Bone Smart. I only do them till they hurt, I’m not regimental about doing them either. I do get plenty of time to have my feet up despite my husband’s frailty. Our carers are really lovely and want to help me whenever they are here. The physio is happy for me to walk but not overdo it. I know when I’ve done too much.

Pain killers are my biggest problem. I cut down from 60mg Codeine to 30mg then to 15mg too quickly. They upset my tummy. On hindsight I should have tried something else instead of cutting down so quickly. So that’s caused disturbed nights and quite a lot of pain through out this time. I took Ibuprofen for my left tkr and they were really good for pain relief. I take blood thinners now so cannot use them this time. After the weekend I will ask my Dr what else I can try. However, all the time I am improving so onwards and upwards
 
I should add I’m a full time carer for my husband, we have carers in 4 times a day but I guess I’m doing more than is ideal and may account for my tiredness.
Oh my, you are doing way too much for this early in your recovery. No wonder you are tired. Walking 30 minutes a day is adding to your discomfort and tiredness. How about walking every few days instead of every day. Your body and knee needs rest in between your extra walking.
Although it takes 30 mins to walk I am not walking that far, I’m also slowly remembering to do a good stride and heel through to toe foot movement so it’s not a normal persons 30 min walk. My leg does lose some of its stiffness as I walk too.
 
Great news! :yay:It sounds like your session was a good one! That's always a mood booster.
I would have loved to tell him about Bone Smart and the very laid back approach I’ve been able to take exercising, thanks to Bone Smart.
Thanks for the thought, Runningfree. If you ever feel comfortable sharing the forum with your PT, we'd be very happy, but please understand...no pressure. Out of curiosity, was there anything that made you hesitate to bring it up?

Thankfully you continue to make progress and I hope you obtain some advice from your surgeon on Monday so you're able to sleep in comfort. I'm sorry you're struggling overnight and wish you the restorative rest you need and deserve.

Have a peaceful, relaxing weekend! :)
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
You've hit a milestone. I hope you enjoy the day and have a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@Runningfree
 
Hi Runningfree,
We haven't heard from you in awhile. How is recovery going?
Let us know next time you stop by, we'd love to read an update.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Runningfree
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom