Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Rucked Up's Recovery

Country
United States United States
I actually like going to the gym and exercise, but refused the too gym-like stuff early in my PT.

My knee still needed gentle (baby steps) work not weight-lifting at infancy!

You're in control of what your knee needs!
P/T is too much like going to the gym it's all just exercise, I seem to be allergic to that

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
I crossed my legs.
I happened to look down at my left leg and it was on my right leg, don't remember doing that.
so I took my left leg down and put it back onto my rt leg, didn't need any assistance nothing.
doing the HHJJ dance
It's been years since I could do this

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
Update
Day 47 since surg - almost 7 weeks

... had an epiphany or two a few days ago
Decided to stop taking pain pills before doing 'stuff'; mostly because I was over-doing it when medicated. I knew I'd pay for it later.

Day 1 - Did about half my usual running around before it was time to quit (medicated, I would have kept going). Slept well, no meds needed.

Day 2 - spent about an hr in the garden yesterday, had a pang or two decided to stop and elevate. Can't say I would have stopped if I had pre-meditated. Sure enough I had pain-filled sleep last night... that hour was too much (grrrrr).
Knee not happy at the moment either, no pain just a bit aggravated (for me that is a 3or4 /10), if I take a Tramadol, I'd be getting up and doing too much 'stuff', queue vicious cycle.

I swear I am becoming 'gait-lazy' when wearing my same-ol sneakers, so I tried a new style shoe, the improvement in my gait was quite impressive. I defiantly need to be changing my shoe styles daily to 'change' my gait (and work a few new muscles).

My knee bend is doing quite well 90+ extension not so much, still at a negative number (not worrying at all). I can see the swelling of my knee, hubby can't tell at all.

Carry on :)

Last edited:
Country
Look at you! Awesome... :egypdance: I too found I needed to get back into my work shoes fast (Clarks brand rubber soled loafers with 1.25 inch heel). Absolute flats (which I rarely wore pre-surgery made me walk sloppy with new knee. I felt 'stumbly'. I just brought a few flats thinking I had to wear them for a while. A few days after I was walking more outside and at work, I was back into my regular shoes! Reactivating a muscles helped too.

I swear I am becoming 'gait-lazy' when wearing my same-ol sneakers, so I tried a new style shoe, the improvement in my gait was quite impressive. I defiantly need to be changing my shoe styles daily to 'change' my gait (and work a few new muscles).

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
You are learning your knee's reaction very well. You'll do fine.
Cheers for your always-positive chime-in's

Look at you! Awesome... :egypdance: I too found I needed to get back into my work shoes fast (Clarks brand rubber soled loafers with 1.25 inch heel). Absolute flats (which I rarely wore pre-surgery made me walk sloppy with new knee. I felt 'stumbly'. I just brought a few flats thinking I had to wear them for a while. A few days after I was walking more outside and at work, I was back into my regular shoes! Reactivating a muscles helped too.
Love hearing that you too have gone through/going through the same-ish thing. I'm a flat-shoe wearer, due to my knee and being 5'11". I have tossed all my pre-op often-worn sneakers and not replacing them till I figure out my knee's reaction to a proper shoe. Might just go find my 'winter boots' (1" heal) see what it feels like to walk around in them.
I was wearing Blundstone's (Aussie farm boots) when I found my new gait, wish I could wear them in public, they force a heal-toe gait. I really want to wear my Birkenstocks too but the weather is not co-operating. Me, a shoe problem, uhmm, next question, sigh lol

Country
It is a bit of an adjustment. I've always preferred a slight heel for my gait and style. I have a very slight limp that is actually more pronounced in flats. I was FAST to put on the shoes I wore before praying :praying: I'd not have to replace my all of my shoes. Phew! I DID not. I wear birkenstock-like knock offs as my go-to for house shoes. Love them.

bikinglynn

Country
That's so interesting about the shoes. I had the same revelation this past weekend when I wore a different pair of shoes. My sneakers are worn out and I need to go buy a new pair, now that I have straight legs.

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
7 weeks and a few days post op

Well, this is new and I don't like it

A few days ago my leg started to hurt (not ache), thought it was (once again) too much gardening; this time it is different.
LTKR and on the outer side of my knee, I get a sharp pain, then that pain slowly shoots down to my ankle and becomes intolerable for a few seconds, then it's over, until it happens again. Makes my leg want to 'jump' (not the right word). Seems to kick in just when I lie down in bed.

Did a fast read of the forum and sure enough, I'm finding very similar stories also at/about week 8.

Proper pain meds (Norco/Tramadol) are not working so I am thinking this is a nerve showing it's might.

Sleep? Ha

sistersinhim

Country
This sounds just like a zinger. They are nerves healing, reattaching or rerouting. I described them as lightning bolts shooting through my leg. Some would make my leg jump, then that you kill my knee!

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
70days post op
Zingers and new types of pain continue. It's a new pain, in a new place everyday. I've had to use the cane for a few days as well as taking Norco.
Over-did it with 60min driving along with some essentials shopping = calf pain, foot pain, inner knee pain days and days to resolve.

I'm scheduled to come off 'disability' and return to work in 3 weeks, and now I am stressing. I'm not sure my knee is ready. I'm a caregiver and the job includes turning and moving a 150+lb/68kilo person throughout the day. One slightly wrong move and I am screaming in pain. Not to mention the time it takes til the pain subsides.

I want to ask for more time on disability, but unsure if I am asking too much. Or is it within the realm of normal to need
a longer-than-standard recovery time.

...starting to think that I will need to change to a sedentary job

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Or is it within the realm of normal to need a longer-than-standard recovery time.
Unfortunately there is no "standard recovery time". Sounds like you are not ready to get back to work. Please rethink this. You risk not only damage to yourself but also the person you care for.

OP
OP
R

Rucked Up

Country
Thank you for your input. I do realize my normal is not your normal. Guess I am concerned I am coming across as a complainer, or not trying hard enough -even tho I was ahead of the curve 5 weeks ago.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Guess I am concerned I am coming across as a complainer, or not trying hard enough
You are not at all coming across as a complainer. You are being realistic based on how you feel and what is possible given where you are in this recovery. Only you can decide if you are really ready to go back to work. But please don't feel the least bit guilty about asking for more time. This is a long and sometimes tough recovery. Nothing wrong with listening to that knee.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
There are no complainers here, we all just tell it like it is. This is a tough recovery, more than we ever suspected, and many of our family and friends don’t get that, and they have preconceived ideas about when we should be recovered.

Come here and say what you feel, we sympathize and understand.:console2:

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RAS54
Recent bookmarks