Lounge Doctor

TKR RubyWhitesocks TKR recovery

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Remembering that you are the one in control and the boss of the others is the best way to have a less painful, happy recovery! You are doing a good job of that!

OP
OP
R

RubyWhitesocks

Country
So now the plan is to call the surgeon first thing Monday morning and see if I can see him prior to my 2:30 afternoon PT appointment to look at the incision, because it has been "weeping" all day today and the area of the incision itself is pretty red looking and warm to the touch. Hopefully it hasn't reached infection stage, but I'll know more after tomorrow. I hate the idea that I may be going backward on this knee, but I can only do as I am told/advised in proceeding from here.

Gingerbread

Country
Very sorry to hear your latest update. Sending positive thoughts your way for fast healing.

OP
OP
R

RubyWhitesocks

Country
The surgeon took off the dressings including the steristrip today and went over the entire area with 3 alcohol pads ( that really stung) and then let it air out. By the time he came back in to look at it, the whole area looked like it had beads of sweat coming out of the pores, rather than any one spot on the incision area oozing or dripping, for whatever that info is worth to anyone who has already gone through a TKR infection scare. He aspirated it and collected fluid to send to the lab (which mostly looked like blood and not infected, again for what it is worth).

He put me back on antibiotics and put me on benadryl, thinking that some of the redness might be irritation/reaction to adhesive (which I doubt, given that the other knee didn't have any such reaction--but I do know that sometimes you can develop sensitivities/allergic reactions over time and a certain amount of exposure). I am to leave the wound exposed to air as much as possible, and he sent me to have some blood work done also. He should be getting back with me on Wednesday as to results of the labs. I am hoping that the new round of antibiotics will clear things up, but I am aware that they may have to go back in and clean things up if it is truly an infection.

I am at least glad that this is happening on TKR number 2, because if it had happened on knee one, I'm not sure I'd have been up for doing the second one. At this point I am trying to remain calm and just follow and wait instructions as results become known. One thing that kind of got to me was the surgeon saying he deals with infections often, but usually it is the infections of other people's work, not his own. Not that is couldn't be the truth, it just sounds kind of self-serving to say that. Another thing I will say is that I'm not superstitious generally, but the next time I have surgery scheduled for Friday the 13th, I might try to move the date after this one.

Gingerbread

Country
When I was at the ER for what they thought was an infection in my incision, they drew bloods for culture which took approximately 4 days to come back and determine I indeed did not have an infection. You should have had preliminary blood tests such as CMP and BMP to check preliminary levels which would indicate infection.
My surgeon was sent a picture by the ER and determined it was an allergic reaction. It appears he was correct, as all my tests came back negative. I was also on Benadryl but only took it at night to help sleep (took it tonight and you can see how well it's working...).
Praying yours is an allergic reaction as well! Take care!

MARYCOOL

Country
Oh my gosh @RubyWhitesocks , I am sorry for you! I hope it clears up and your recovery starts again!
Your surgeon's comment was quite arrogant, very off putting. My surgeon is so awesome, I couldn't imagine home putting down another's work. He usually leaves me laughing
Anyway...be well and keep us posted!

Atkinson8

Country
Well done getting knee done - knowing what the process is, that takes courage, but you know the eventual outcome will be well worth it! Just having the "balking" in muscles, etc. is far better than the pain of bone on bone because you know it means healing. You're a trooper, for sure!

OP
OP
R

RubyWhitesocks

Country
Oh my gosh @RubyWhitesocks , I am sorry for you! I hope it clears up and your recovery starts again!
Your surgeon's comment was quite arrogant, very off putting. My surgeon is so awesome, I couldn't imagine home putting down another's work. He usually leaves me laughing
Anyway...be well and keep us posted!
In general, I've liked this surgeon's demeanor and straight talk and I will try to not dwell on that one comment, but hopefully he is indeed well versed at dealing with infection if that is what it proves to be.

OP
OP
R

RubyWhitesocks

Country
Well done getting knee done - knowing what the process is, that takes courage, but you know the eventual outcome will be well worth it! Just having the "balking" in muscles, etc. is far better than the pain of bone on bone because you know it means healing. You're a trooper, for sure!
thank you, I needed to hear that encouragement, today was a rough day. the wound/ incision area seems to be a little less bright angry red today, but it is still warm to touch and painful and tight. So much so that it had me in tears a couple times today before it was time to take my pain med, but part of it is just the emotional toll of feeling like I'm not doing as well with knee 2 as I did with knee 1. I just need to know for sure about whether or not it is indeed infected and what the game plan is at that point either way to feel like I know where I am going.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Panda1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom