Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rubyroo TKR #2

Rubyroo, Your shaving story hits a nerve. Today was my day to get my roots colored. I couldn't believe how sensitive my scalp was when the beautician applied the dye. It felt like she was stabbing me. I guess our entire bodies are sensitive through this healing period.
 
@bikinglynn Ha! I just broke down yesterday and shaved my legs for the first time since the miserable rash disaster. I was scared to shave over my scar but I managed ever so gingerly. So praying everything goes smoothly and no rashes occur. Makes one a tad paranoid.
 
Well no rashes occurred after shaving- Yay!

PT is going well- getting stronger and slowly, my balance is improving as I try to do some of the PT exercises. I'm quite satisfied with how it is going. I do my exercises at home as well & I think that helps.

10 weeks out today! Whoo-Hoo!
 
Yesterday afternoon I went to my scheduled PT appointment & I had the lady I had on my first day of PT, we'll call her X. I've had her several times throughout my PT but have had a couple other ladies as well.

PT went fine and X asked me how I was doing and if I was about ready to be on my own and done with PT. I said yes- I was looking forward to being done with PT and not having to come- although it had helped me tremendously and was definitely a huge asset to be able to come. X said I've been doing well and it was entirely up to me what my decision would be- but she said she would like to challenge me to continue my exercises on my own and see how that feels. I have a Dr. appt on March 3rd and I had 5 more PT appointments scheduled before the Dr. appt and one PT appt scheduled for after the Dr. appt- because I wanted to see what he had to say- whether I needed to continue PT or not. So after much discussion with X I decided to cancel my 5 PT appointments before the Dr. appt but keep the one PT appt afterward. X said I can see how I feel and I can also cancel the 1 appt scheduled for after my Dr. appt or I can keep the PT appt and come in and discuss how I'm doing exercising on my own and how I feel I'm progressing and if need be then we can schedule more PT appointments if I choose.

So...I've been released from PT. Whoo-hoo! Holler if you hear me!!!

Also today I'm happy to announce for the first time since surgery (since I'm retired and wasn't forced to wear particular clothing- due to having to go back to work) I am wearing regular pants! I've been wearing shorts or stretchy exercise leggings since my surgery. I was totally scared that the pants would not fit since I've gained some weight since all this- but they did. Funny the things we take for granted! These pants do feel a tad weird on the knee but I'll get used to it and I'm still totally wearing the stretchy leggings too :).
 
Yahoo! You have graduated from PT. Good going.

Wearing normal pants is a huge accomplishment. I couldn't do that for about 3 months. Good thing my surgery was in the summer and I could wear skirts and shorts. You are doing good with leggins. I couldn't do that.

You are on the road to complete healing!
 
Took my first walk around the block today since surgery. I was a bit apprehensive- but I went slowly and it went fine. It was a cool sunny day and it was refreshing to be out and about. I'm a nature dork and I even had 3 Crow friends chatting me up and I turned the corner and was headed home. I told them thanks for the encouragement Crow friends- I needed that :).
 
Crows are quite chatty, aren't they? :) Congrats on your walk!
 
One time around the block and up and down one street around noon and another time around the block this afternoon. Had a nap after that :)! I feel like I'm beginning to get my life back. Although my left non-surgery knee was talking to me a bit. I told it to shut it's pie hole and let me have some happy.
 
I found that as my new knee took on more of the work, my old knee started feeling better. Hopefully, yours will do the same thing.
 
Also today I'm happy to announce for the first time since surgery (since I'm retired and wasn't forced to wear particular clothing- due to having to go back to work) I am wearing regular pants
At almost 5 weeks out from my TKR I can’t imagine wearing regular pants yet but also can’t wait to get out of these sweatpants and leggings! I can relate to what a milestone that must be. Way to go!
 
Ha! Wore regular pants one day and the next day I put those stretchy suckers back on! So- I know I can do it but it is definitely more comfy in the stretchy britches. My leg is still quite sensitive to material or stuff being on it. I'm sure that's normal- but I look forward to that going away. Oh well- baby steps- I'll try the regular pants again another day soon.

Ok guys- gotta vent...

I'm sure I'll get some responses to this with folks having similar things said to them.

People that are uneducated about TKR's sometimes make some comments that make me want to poke'em in the eye. :loll:
Recently I told someone that I had walked around the block for the first time since my 12-2-19 surgery and they said- wow- your surgery was a couple months ago- right? Like- dang- you are just now only able to walk around the block. Then a friend of mine recently said to me- when are you going to be able to "walk normal"? It's all I can do not to say- if you had a thing like a Sawzall taken to your knee- maybe you'd understand. What are some things folks have said to you that made you want to poke'em in the eye or maybe do a Three Stooges thing to them?
 
I have a mischievous streak, so I have thought of snarky responses for these unhelpful people:

I’m not walking weirdly; you’re failing to adapt to the constant shifting of the tectonic plates.

I’m not walking weirdly, I’m exercising.

Noted. Anything else.


I don’t expect most people to be as snarky as I am. I’m not even that snarky out loud. So, I hope these make you laugh instead of cringe the next time your gait becomes an opportunity for public comment.
 
To these unknowledgeable people, I would just smile and tell them that I was doing really well for all my knee had been through. They wouldn't know what to say after that because they had no idea what all was involved in a tkr.

For the ones who asked me if I was doing my exercises, I'd huff and make a face while nodding my head. I did no exercises and no one needed to know that. Now, everyone does know and is amazed that I could recover without doing therapy!
 
Walked around 2 blocks at one time yesterday and today. It feels like a major triumph. Wore my butt out too! I look forward to more stamina. Sunny & cool out though- nice day to get some sunshine.

Both of knees have been kinda achy in the evenings lately- not fun.
 
Walking is great, even though it can be wearing. And it is a major triumph!
 
Feeling a tad down today for no particular reason. I'll be 12 weeks post op tomorrow. Trying to be patient with my recovery and thankful for what I can do. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom