MUA Rubber band feeling'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pontoon, I have a very tight 'resistance band' type feeling on the lateral part of my knee. It does not get better with moving - rather it seems to get worse - though I tend to still swell when I move, so I have to take that into consideration).

I can actually put my finger on the side of my knee and feel the tissue sliding over my knee's fat pad. I plan to as OS about it on Thursday. If it's scar tissue, I'm going to see if someone can use Graston massage or something to break it up. But if it's stabilizing tissue, I suppose I will have to just wait for the internal swelling to go down.

It is terribly annoying, though - I can muscle through it, but it's like pulling back a sling shot!
 
I am experiencing significant pain [not swelling] for the past week which really concerns me. I think I over did it with all the snow shovelling on top of everything else. I am not going to do any exercising for the next 3-4 days and see if the pain eases off. If not I will call the OS as something must be wrong to be experiencing this degree of pain after almost 4 months. Keep me posted on how you are doing and I will do likewise.
 
Not at all. Stays with me 24/7. At times it strangles my knee making it difficult to walk without severe pain. Other days like today was there all day around all sides of my knee but did not strangle.
 
Barbri. How are you doing. I'm not have a very good week myself. My swelling that I've had for four months is going down a bit, but banding is worse . Its so bad now it's making me walk funny, hip and now back pain
I also now have a cord in the back of my knee that is causing issues.
 
@L.I.T. How did you make out at the doctor's? I've never of that type of massage.
 
I am sorry to hear that you are having a bad time of it.

Now that snow shoveling seems to be over and with a more moderate physio and exercise routine my pain and stiffness has subsided [not gone] and my ROM is 0 extension and 120 flexion which I am happy with so far. Pain at night is still an issue,but abating somewhat. I have good and not so good days and have come to accept that as par for the course. Let me know how you are making out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gaston massage is usually done by Chiropractors. They use a spoon shaped piece of wood or plastic and run that down the tight muscle. I will give you our library article on the tight band feeling in the knee.

I overdid at 3 months and I was shocked at the amount of pain that I experienced. Sometimes we just have to slow down for a few days or a week and go back to rest, elevate and ice the knee. Boring? yes, but so is being in pain!!

I did have some good luck with a lymphatic massage therapist---i got her name from my PT, but she was in the phone book as well. She gave me a "wrap" to wear at night that I thought was worthless!! I tried it for one night and was absolutely shocked at the decrease in my swelling. My PT told me she was good!!

Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
 
Hey there @Pontoon! Things went well at the OS - He said where I was pointing and feeling the fibers is where the iliotibial band inserts. He felt reasonably certain that it was tight b/c of swelling, and told me to look up some iliotibial stretches on the Internet, and to begin stretching away. Oddly, I also told him of something like a tendon that kept catching on the posterior/back of the knee - again, he felt it was residual swelling but told me to throw in a hamstring stretch, as well. He said when the tendons/ligaments get irritated, they swell and become stiff. Take from that what you will - I figure even if doesn't help, stretching will at least allow me to concentrate on something else for a while lol!

@BARBRI, since you are here, too - OS said that the night pain is likely just a result of the slight internal inflammation from my daily activities - and that it's just a 'healing type' of progress that happens when at rest (hence, typically at night). He said any daily inflammation/swelling should mostly abate in the next couple of months, and the pain should go with it. He described it as 'par for course' at this stage in recovery.

Aside from the stretching, I got a prescription for Father time! Dang it! Lol

Pontoon, sorry your band is getting worse... I know when mine gets bad, my gait is also affected, and it really screws up any chances at walking normally - much less going up and down stairs!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting @L.I.T. That would certainly explain the night time pain that so many seem to experience.
 
Thank you for the night pain L.I.T. It was helpful.
Somebody from the group mentioned to try kneeling as an exercise so I tried it and found it to be easy for me to do.
 
I couldn't even imagine kneeling! Of course my other knee is in a pretty bad way.
 
I've been kneeling on my knee on all four s and on my bed. I rock my knee back and forth. It hurts at first then stops. It feels like my knee is in the mouth of a shark with baby teeth when I first do it.bi do think it maybe helping, but not sure yet. I'll give an update in a week.
 
Just gently. I think it helps the banding. Also in the evening now I feel all the healing movements in the soft tissue...
 
My banding is gone but I too gently knelt on the operated knee. The first time it was like being bitten by a baby shark.. Then that went away in seconds.. Now its just fine.. Not hurting.. feels different.. I am not slamming down on the knee.
I did have an ouchy. I got an oyster shell in my canoe and knelt on that. Don't advise it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom