RTKR November 7, LTKR Dec27

Do be sure you don't "hobble" around the house too much. That is hard on not only your knees, but other joints as well. If you're limping at all it means you still need some type of walking aid. As an example, I used my walker for about 6 weeks around the house just because it enabled me to walk a longer stride with more stability. I never "graduated" to a cane or crutches as they never seemed supportive enough for me.

Funny you say that!
I wondered if it was even helping when my gait was so affected. I have to assume that walking "normally" is the important bit.
I appreciate that tip @Jamie


Sent from my iPhone
 
Yes, you want to always strive to walk with a normal heel-roll to toe movement of a proper gait. You may have to go slower for a while, but it's the movement that's important. You are training your body to walk properly. You don't want to "learn" a limp!
 
I have asked my friends to tell me if I am limping. After doing it for so many years it's a hard habit to break. I have no need to limp now. I can get out of a chair without pushing up with my arms, unless the old knee makes me! Ask your friends and loved ones to tell you if they see you limp. You'd be surprised how much you do so without even knowing it.
 
@Jamie, duly noted! Thanks!

In other news, a new development as of a couple nights ago.
I take a Norco before bed, and have been able to sleep for 4-6 hours. I elevate, and use my ice machine for all of those hours. What started a few nights ago is that in the morning, my legs are SO STIFF it's almost tear inducing just moving them off the pillows...and I usually have to help lift my legs manually.
I'm not sure what's going on, or if this is just the result of getting uninterrupted sleep but it's awful.
This morning when I got up, it took at least five minutes to get out of bed, and once I was upright, I had to stand, slowly unbending my legs for another five minutes.
Once I got myself out of bed and moving, I got a coffee, and sat with a heating pad on my knees, which seemed to help. My question now is, would it be better to have a heating pad near the bed than ice?
I understand the ice and elevation are getting rid of swelling...but if the heat is improving movement....I just don't know.
Suggestions?
Thanks
 
I think it's the hours of uninterrupted sleep. Anytime I'm in one position for a length of time my knees get stiff. I don't think you want heat directly on your knees as that will bring on swelling. It is sad that if we get the sleep we desire we pay for it!
 
Even now, I still have to move my knees during the night to keep the stiffness down. I think your lack of movement is your stiffness's increase. As you heal, that will diminish. A stiff knee was the last thing to go for me.
 
Thanks you two, I'm thinking maybe I should reduce the nighttime Norco to half a tablet, figuring I'll be more susceptible to pain, and sleep less deeply.
Tough choice, but there it is.

In other news I called my os for a refill and was advised by the aide I spoke with that my os feels that six weeks is long enough for Norco, so that this will be the last prescription I'll be given for that, and that I shouldn't take more than four in a 24 hour period.
No idea how that will go
I've been on 5 or sometimes 6 per day for more than two weeks now, and don't feel I'm overmedicating at all.
I guess we'll see.
 
You can ask for a step down med like Tramadol which works well with Tylenol.
 
@McKelly you may find the Tramadol/Tylenol works as well as the norco and you might feel better also. I certainly hope your OS doesn't expect you to suddenly stop all pain medications. When is your appointment with your OS? I think the nighttime stiffness is definitely from stillness while in deep sleep I have that occasionally too.
 
@McKelly just checking in on you. How are you doing?

I was actually just reading YOUR update!
Lol
I've got a follow up Drs appt tomorrow morning, which is 12/5 weeks out.
I'm taking it really easy, it's still much too icy and slick to be out and about in these parts, so I'm still hanging out at the house, and icing all night.
Hoping my OS agrees that another refill of pain meds is not excessive, because it makes a HUGE difference in the way I move around.
Cross your fingers for me please!

Also, going forward...past the pain, I need recommendations for something to help with swelling. Pre surgery I took two Aleve in the morning and two at night. I hate to go back to that...but I need something to help with the tightness.
 
Ice and elevation are the answer to swelling - as much of both as you can possibly manage.
There's no magic cure in the anti-inflammatories.
 
We were thinking about each other in sync! How did your visit go?
 
Just an update headed into weeks 13/6
My OS says I'm right in the middle of the road, so to speak.
He did give me another prescription for the hard stuff, so it's here when I need it which makes me feel better. I'm still on 4 Norco 7.5/325 per day, which I feel ok about.
I'm sleeping better each week, though I'm still tossing and turning a bit.
When I wake up, my 12 week old knee is stiffer, and more painful than my 5 week old knee, which is a conundrum.
I'm still icing and elevating all night...both knees, so no idea why the older knee hurts more.
This week my mission is to obtain a training stand for my bike, so I can turn my outdoor bike into a stationary bike to try and loosen both knees up.
[emoji3]
 
Your knees are stiff when you wake up because you don't make any of the fluid that lubricates the joints while you are keeping them still. Usually they loosen up after you've taken a few steps. That's a bit like putting some oil into a rusty hinge.
 
@McKelley,

Just checking on you to see how you are doing now. I hope all is well!
 
I bet your old new is hurting more now because you have been using it more. It is still a baby and is fussing about it!
 
I think you'll love being able to ride the bike. I've been riding a recumbent here 2 miles a day with the seat as close as I can do a revolution. Also walking on treadmill and swimming. Getting stronger. Still occasionally one of my knees decides to get fussy. I elevate and ice a couple times a day most days. It sounds like we're both making nice progress. Slow like turtles but forward non the less.
 
Back
Top Bottom