Guest viewing is limited

RTKR November 7, LTKR Dec27

Isn't it strange how the same procedure, same surgeon can be so incredibly different? BoneSmart should add
"do not compare" as a mantra! I'm glad your on the other side.

Follow the mantras! Enjoy your Polar Cube. Did they tell you the trick to freeze and reuse medium size water bottles 4 fit perfectly, much less messy than ice! I still leave my Cube on almost all the time my son and hubby are trained to switch out the bottles without waking me! Lift that leg nice and hig just don't cram anything behind the knee!

Keep your eye on the prize! The BoneSmart smarties will have to take a walk together in the spring! Set your alarm for those meds! Be well....

Who/where was your knee done? Mine is courtesy of the amazing Dr Ritesh Shah of IBJ at Lutheran General Hospital.
 
I'm happy to hear you're in the post op side again!
 
@Red's Mom
Great idea about the frozen water bottles
Really smart!
@KarriB
Thanks! Glad it's over!! Best Christmas present ever!! New knees [emoji3]
 
Been catching up on everyone's recovery and checking in to say I'm still right in the middle of the road with my own.
Staples coming out next week but for now, just icing, resting, elevating and moving here and there around the house.
I'm still on Norco 7.5/325 (2pills, 4x daily) and not planning on weaning to less than that until at least after the staples come out.
I'm amazed at the way the body bounces back.
Has anyone else experienced either a reduction in appetite, or just a change in taste buds after surgery? Coffee tastes bad to me, and nothing is quite the way I remember it. Odd.
Cheers!
 
...
Has anyone else experienced either a reduction in appetite, or just a change in taste buds after surgery? Coffee tastes bad to me, and nothing is quite the way I remember it. Odd.
Cheers!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

Yes! I first noticed in the hospital that a lot of the food tasted salty. Not everything, so I just assumed they over-salted some things. But then when I got home I still noticed it. And other things also tasted different. I figured it was the meds and it did go away after a while. The lack of appetite took a lot longer to go away, though, and I'm still not eating at pre-surgery levels. Although that's not a bad thing and I've lost 15 pounds.
 
A lot of people lose their appetite after a knee replacement. It comes back slowly.
 
A friend brought me her famous chicken dumplings while I was in rehab. I took one bite and asked why she put so much pepper in it! Yes, it took a few weeks to a month before things tasted good again. The only thing that tasted good was chocolate covered pretzels.
 
Oh yes, the only things I could eat for a while were dark chocolate, mixed nuts and protein drinks. The first few weeks it was only protein drinks. I used to be almost a vegetarian, but after the surgery I could stand the taste of veggies. It was a month of so before I could normally. Your appetite and taste buds will come back.
 
I am also from Chicago and having RTKR on Monday. What hospital did you have your surgery at?
 
Things are really tasting salty to me!
I also have very little appetite. It doesn't worry me but wondering how long it's gonna to last. Perhaps I hadn't regained the taste buds from knee number one when I had knee number two done? It's all fine, I'm getting proteins from shakes for now.
@RMasano Northwestern Memorial
You're close now! See you on the other side [emoji3]
 
@McKelly Great hospital. Yes, I'm close and really nervous!!! You seem to be doing well.
 
When were all recovered well have to have a Chicago BoneSmarties meeting here!
 
@McKelly I've definitely experienced less of an appetite. However, the last couple of days my pain meds have been reduced quite a bit so I'll be curious to see if my appetite comes back. I'm kinda hoping it doesn't as maybe the reduced calorie count will help offset the lack of activity!
 
I lost my appetite and ate very little while I was taking the heavy-duty narcotics. They made my mouth very dry and I just didn't want to eat.
However, when my appetite did come back, it came back with a vengeance and I was very hungry, so I regained the last weight.
 
Thanks for replying, good to know it's not just me.
 
Mine seemed to be affected for a couple months. Even when I went off Rx pain medication my appetite still didn't come back right away.
Things did seem to taste different in the beginning.
Wish I would have thought about using protein shakes in the beginning, not so much for the calorie part, but to help with the healing.
 
Well I go in on Tuesday to have staples removed.
Just reread my first post after the 2nd knee was done and I'm on a downswing I'm afraid.
My first knee, done November 7th was doing really well, even better a day or two after coming home from this surgery, but that wore off pretty quickly and I almost feel like I'm sliding backwards a little on my recovery.
It's just a lot to expect after 7 weeks I guess, to be able to do the lions share of the work so soon.
At any rate I'm just plugging away.
I'm forgoing PT this time around all together.
Managing my pain still with Norco 7.5/325 (2) every six hours still
Sleep has been ok, but I'm super stiff after sleeping too long.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
After reading some of your threads I'm SO grateful for having no issues with reading! I'd lose my mind if I couldn't read!
It's the little things I guess.
[emoji3]
 
Back
Top Bottom