TKR RTKR followed by Revision . Now LTKR giving trouble.

I'm so sorry you are hurting. I hope by now you have heard back from the doctor's office and they were able to help you get some relief from the pain.

You are just in the early days out from such a major surgery. Things will get better but it's going to take some time. Remember.....small steps.....you are in capable hands.

As I remember, when @RestAssured went through some of her surgeries, there was fairly signficant pain afterwards. I've tagged her so she can come talk to you about what she went through.

Try to get as much rest (sleep) as possible. That helps your body heal and will get you through these difficult first weeks. But don't hesitate to come here and post. We'll be here for you.
 
5 days post op Revision RTKR and living in the swollows of hell. Home with PIC line, 2 iv antibiotics daily plus 1 oral for 6 weeks. Then PIC comes out n I'm on oral for 4 months. Infection wasworse then he expected or told me. I can't bearweight as the pain is excruciating. Placed call to his office, wtg for return call. Someone please tell me this gets better, please. There are times I just wish to go to sleep n never wake.
Dear mommabarefoot, what an horrendous time you have had - I am so sorry that you have suffered so much. I hope that as soon as you get rid of the infection and get the appropriate pain relief, and some sleep, you will begin to feel better. I know for me personally that lack of sleep made me feel very depressed. I will be thinking of you and looking forward to your recovery.
 
@mommabarefoot,

I am so sorry to hear about the pain!:console2:

I do remember times when the leg was infected and they did the washout, spacer replacement, and debridement, as being some of the most painful memories of my recovery! :cry:


You see, infection, even after it has been taken out, has left you in a much more weakened conditioned than the avg. knee replacement person. We are in a league of our own, and I understand not wanting to wake up the next morning, praying that God would take me home, because the painkillers weren't helping. I had in home PT and the 3rd day when Amy cams to get me out of bed I told her to leave me alone and let me die! Well, she wasn't listening, so my Mom and Amy had me out of bed, outside w my walker, and we went for a short walk. Amy said you have a lot of living to do, keep praying!

I can tell you, the fatigue, the crying episodes, depression, everything you experience during your recovery will end! Make sure Amy gets the pain meds you need and get lots of rest!:alarm:
 
:console2: Thinking of you.
 
Thanks everyone. It's a wee bit better. I got up n made it across my room one day. Next day I had to go see Pain Magmt and was prescribed Nucynta ER and IR. Guess it will take a little time for it to build up. I am better than my first posting. Still no PT but I do ankle rotations and quad sets. Hubs lowered it too fast earlier causing a bend n there it was, the open doors of pain hell. It has calmed back down n iI'm resting in bed. I got a shower today making it across my house n back. Can someone fair warn me on how removing 34 staples is going to be? I hope not back to pain hell. Wow is all I can say. I'm horribly depressed, feeling like a burden on my family, unable to aadminister IV myself without becomming faint. I fly to Dallas next Tuesday for my fu with Maale. @RestAssured can u give me some insight as to follow up n further healing. I'd tag more, but phone is slow. Thanks all
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mommabarefoot ,

The 34 staple removal will be relatively pain free. I am sorry you have been having problems while at home; I know that Dr. Maale will be able to answer your questions.

As for the horrible depression, it goes with pain. Are you icing and elevating the leg and taking pain meds around the clock? Stay ahead of the pain and I promise you will feel better.

As far as feeling like a burden to your family; don't! They don't know what to do unless you ask and they feel helpless. Remember, you are the one who usually takes care of them! Lean on them. Let them feel like they are a part of your recovery. I wish I had remembered that more frequently when I was down!:console2:
 
Glad to hear you are better, staple removal is not painful, a little pinch here and there. It does feel good to get them all out.
Let us know how your visit with Dr. Maale goes.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Staple removal isn't bad--just a bit pinchy but it's over quickly. I only had one staple that was a little stuck that hurt--but again not bad.
 
Tryin to ice more. Elevation all the time. Pain meds every 4 hrs like clock work. I have made 2 trips across my house and 1 trip outside to sit for 15 mins. I needed sunshine and fresh air. Each day seems to show me little signs of healing, thank u lord. Sleeping is a major issue, but its
only been 10 days since surgery. I'm trying to de-sensitze the leg and wound. Any touching of the scar is like fire. Hope to post more positive feelings soon. Please keep the prayers coming, I need them. How do I update my surgery list or change name of thread?
 
You can change your signature (surgery dates) by mouse hovering over your username at the top right of the page. Select Signature from the drop down menu and make your changes.

You should see a Thread Tools button also in the top right area of the page. If you click on it, you can change your thread title. Or.....if you have trouble finding the button...just post what you want your new thread title to be and we'll change it for you.
 
Getting out for some fresh air does help you feel better.
 
Tomorrow is my big day, flying back to see Dr Maale. I've seen a glimmer of healing hope each day, even if it's a couple more steps. I cannot walk very far, maybe 150 steps total. I keep reminding myself it's going to take take. Slow n steady. Still no sign of home PT
so I'll be asking for OPPT. Home Health is pretty crappy. Pain down to 4 resting n
6-7 when I'm up. It does spike to 8-9 at
times. Prayers for continued healing n
safe travels from Houston to Plano tomorrow
 
@mommabarefoot ,

Please address the pain levels with Dr. Maale! He will give you something stronger to keep you comfortable. I will be praying for a great report tomorrow!

Any questions you have for him, be sure and write them down! That way you won't forget anything.:console2:
 
@RestAssured and all. Sorry for delay. Post op visit went well. He said I had an internal bleed n took me off blood thinner, removed half staples (I still cringe), said infection was gram +, ordered 5 x week PT, I go back 10/28. I started PT today, it went well. Extension
is +5-10 and flexion we got from 55° to
65°. Moist heat felt great, followed by some stretching, heal slides n ice.
Overall, it went well. Pain is still an issue, but it is getting better. Tuesday
was real rough being up n out of bed for 13 hrs straight. Wednesday wad for rest.
Staple removal wasn't as bad as I thought. I get other half removed by
local PCP next Friday. Keep healing thoughts n prayers coming. I can never thank everyone enough for the support nor you Restassured for referring me to Dr Maale. Had I waited much longer, I would have lost my leg. I'm forever greatful. Much luv to all:roseshwr:
 
Happy to hear thing are going well for you. You have been through a lot. Take it slow and easy.
Thanks for the update.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@mommabarefoot,

Thank you for the nice compliment! @Pumpkln alerted me about your situation because we know each other's strong points; mine in this case, the right doctor. You see, we are "family" and we look out for each other! :friends:

When I found BoneSmart in 2009, I had little to go on in terms of experience. I have learned so much from so many people over time. Some have moved on to live their lives; some are still here; but no matter what my knowledge is a compilation of experiences of the wonderful people I have met "through the years!" :happydance:

I am so glad Dr. Maale is helping you. He is "one in a million" in my opinion!:)
 
So pleased to hear you are making progress. Here is a you tube video that helped me immensely with my super sensitive scar it's about putting cling film round your knee, it worked for me. Every little bit of progress you make is good, think - it's not about what you can't do, it's about what you can do. Still thinking of you and hoping you continue to feel better every day.
 
HELP!!!!! For some reason my lower leg has decided to swell up like I'm 9 months pregnant. I have it elevated all the time, I've been icing more and it's still swelling. The tightness in the foot is uncomfortable. I started 5 times week PT last thursday, today was my 6th session. I'm thinking of pulling back a little at PT. Right now the Dr only has meworking on ROM and no strength training. Does anyone have a home remedy that iI might try? Pain wise the knee is a little better. Flexion is at 75° at 21 days out and Dr is happy with that. Extension is around 5° Help group
 
With that kind of swelling, call and let you OS know.
Is it red? Is it hot? Is your pain increasing?
@Josephine to advise.

Be careful, seek care if it gets worse.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom