TKR RTKR February 12th Recovery thread

Sorry you have learned the hard way.
For me a similar experience was trying to do a water aerobics class and completely misreading that I was overdoing things.
I didn't add any resistance bands or weights to my pilates regime until about 6 months.
The knee is still healing from 3 months to a year; but it is very easy to misjudge things as you feel better.
 
Thank you for sharing your journey, and for the tips. I expect to be in the ODIC one day, but your tips are really useful and I’m sorry you had to learn the hard way.
Still it’s our nature isn’t it, especially as Mothers/Grandmothers to push ourselves, to think we can just carry on, or do even more.
Take care and I hope rest and ice restores your comfort and activity levels to manageable, while still getting better.
 
I am so sorry you're hurting, AliceNutter. Thank you for taking time to warn others. It's easy to understand how you felt ready to increase the resistance. Hard lesson learned. I hope you rebound quickly and get back to all the activities you love. :console2:
Take good care and have a nice weekend!
@Alice Nutter
 
Don’t beat yourself up too much. We all overdo things at some point in our recovery and fall back into ODIC mode. Hopefully you’ll be back on track again soon. As much as those soft tissues can hurt, the good news is that with some TLC, they do recover and you can go forward again.

It’s pretty typical for most people to need to wait until 6 months out or even more before beginning any real strength training. Even at that, the increases (especially resistance training) must be done slowly over extended time. You’ll be smarter now when that time comes. Hopefully you’ll be doing those things you enjoy again soon. Sending you a big (((((HUG))))).
 
Hi @Alice Nutter. Checking in to see how are you feeling. Hopes things have improved since you landed on the ODIC bench a couple of weeks back.

Also, happy four month an-knee-versary (yesterday)!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Alice Nutter!
I hope you've found the sweet spot with the exercise bike over the past two weeks and you're ignoring any temptation to push it. With any luck you're back walking the dogs in the woods, on your motorcycle and doing all you love in comfort!
Happy weekend!
@Alice Nutter
 
Thank you! Yes, ever onwards, ever upwards. I had another week of unexpected babycare which meant a lot more walking on hard surfaces than I am used to, and a lot more lifting and getting up and down off the floor. The overall result was good. Tomorrow I'm setting off on a solo longish motorcycle ride, and find myself very much looking forward to it. Pilates and swimming are really helping, and I still do about 30 minutes a day on the exercise bike. What I am particularly happy to experience is the return of a certain amount of stamina, which brings with it the promise that there is more to come as my knee continues to heal.
 
You are doing exceptionally well for four months post op, AliceNutter! Babysitting, Pilates, swimming, motorcycle riding, WOW:xmark: Thank you for the update.
Glad you're getting your energy back. Stay safe as you head out on the highway and enjoy! :hog:
@Alice Nutter
 
What I am particularly happy to experience is the return of a certain amount of stamina, which brings with it the promise that there is more to come as my knee continues to heal.
Thanks for sharing this! It's good for those who are behind you in recovery to read!

There does seem to be a shift at about the 4 month mark in recovery. During those first few months, our recovering knee requires so much of our energy for healing. That gradually declines with time and, by 4-5 months post-op, things begin to return to normal.

So glad to read that you are doing well!
 
@Alice Nutter …. You are flat out amazing! I was especially impressed with your ability to get up and down off the floor. That never completely came back for me after my knee replacements. Have fun on your motorcycle trip. And continue letting us know what you’re up to. Your successes mean so much to people who are wondering what kind of life they will have after joint replacement.
 
@Alice Nutter …. You are flat out amazing! I was especially impressed with your ability to get up and down off the floor. That never completely came back for me after my knee replacements. Have fun on your motorcycle trip. And continue letting us know what you’re up to. Your successes mean so much to people who are wondering what kind of life they will have after joint replacement.
It's not elegant, my getting up and down off the floor. But then it never was....
 
Getting off the floor post joint replacement is usually not very graceful. More like, furniture climbing, with a grunt or groan thrown in for sound effect. :heehee:
I'm sure many never even attempt it as early into recovery as you, so Bravo!
@Alice Nutter
 
6 months post-op, more or less, and this is where I'm at. I still have that tight clunky feeling, but no pain, and am able to do almost everything I wish to do. The knee remains slightly swollen. I would love to be more agile, but I am 67 after all, and I was never agile in the first place. The only sort-of PT I do at home now is between 15 and 30 minutes a day mindlessly pedalling on the exercise bike, and occasionally stretching the back of the knee between two chairs, when it feels particularly stiff. Otherwise it's just the Bonesmart natural PT - if I use my hands to get myself up from a seated position I make myself sit down again and do it without hands, I make myself squat to empty the dishwasher etc, I practise getting down to and up off the floor every day and I try to keep myself moving. I'm swimming for about 20 minutes three times a week, and going to Pilates once a week, walking my dogs as much as the weather and schedule permit, and I do t'ai chi every day. I still don't have as much stamina as I would like, especially when it comes to walking, and in that respect I think the TKR (and a THR on the other side a year earlier) took their toll. I never worry any more about ROM; I don't limp much according to my iPhone ('walking asymmetry' in the Health app), and my lower back complains much much less than it did before the operation. Oh, and I can now do proper breaststroke legs, for the first time in over 20 years! So that's good, although crawl has always been my go-to stroke anyway.
 
Wow, what an uplifting post, especially at being only halfway through your yearlong recovery! You are truly an inspiration to others coming up behind you. You are proof that there is life after a TKR. Thank you for your update.
 
I love your update, @Alice Nutter! You are doing wonderfully for six months post-op -- really back to living your life.

The tightness in the knee does go away with time, as will the fatigue. Remember, you are still only half-way through this one-year recovery; just imagine how great you will feel in another six months.

Thank you for sharing. Your post is sure to give hope to others.
 
:yahoo::yahoo:What a great update. I hope this inspires other members. Your self discipline can be seen in your recovery, and that's a good thing. Keep it up. Excellent job.
 
Hello and Happy Saturday!
It is nice to hear from you, Alice Nutter. Such an inspirational post for those following behind you.
Happy to read you're doing so well. I love the little exercises you put yourself through daily. Great discipline!
You're making fantastic progress and it's not uncommon for your stamina to be less than you expected. Your body is still catching up from all of the months of altered movement / gait and two major surgeries...within only a little over a years time. That's a lot. With the discipline and determination you have I believe your stamina will eventually be where you want it to be. You're doing great!
Happy Six Month Anniversary! Best Wishes a few days early. :)
@Alice Nutter
 
Hi Alice Nutter,
Looks like you're only one week away from celebrating your one year post op date.
Happy One Year Anniversary!

You certainly were quite active at six months post op, the last time you posted. I can only imagine that after an additional six months of healing your stamina has increased along with your activity level. We'd love to hear from you when you have the time. Best wishes for a happy, healthy, peaceful 2026!
@Alice Nutter
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom