TKR RTKR February 12th Recovery thread

My hunch is that the stubborn swelling is not helping, and that getting into the pool next week will loosen me up quite a bit.
I agree with your hunch. You are still early days in this recovery and so there is bound to still be a lot of inflammation inside that knee -- even more than any swelling you see on the outside.

Hopefully, gentle movement in the pool will help. Just keep in mind that it is very easy to overdo things when you are in the water. We have quite a few members who have reported that they unintentionally overdid it because everything seemed so easy in the water. Keep your first foray into the pool on the easy side and then, if it goes well, add a bit more each time.

Let us know how it goes.
 
Looking forward to hearing how your first visit to the pool goes this week, @Alice Nutter. Hope you enjoy!
 
So I got into the pool this morning and OMG I was in heaven. As I suspected would be the case before I went, I preferred actually swimming (freestyle) to the exercises that my PT had suggested I do, although I did do some stretches in the water before launching myself into laps. I was VERY careful not to overdo it, and plan to build the number of laps quite slowly. I did not push off from the end using my new knee - that would have been a bad idea, and just went up and down in my old slow and stately fashion, revelling in the whole body exercise that swimming is. So far, a few hours later, and after a good nap, there are no adverse side effects. So I reckon I will continue...
 
Sounds like the pool is going to be your go-to for this recovery, @Alice Nutter. Your plan to build up your lap count slowly is very smart.

So glad you were careful to not overdo and aren't suffering any after effects. Let us know how you are feeling tomorrow.

:flwrysmile:
 
Good for you, AliceNutter! It's so nice that you enjoyed the pool. Such a great way to rebuild strength, improve flexibility and hopefully ease any stiffness. It sounds like getting back into the water was a big milestone for you so I hope you're able to continue and build on what you enjoyed today. Have a wonderful week! :swim:
@Alice Nutter
 
Swimming is so relaxing and a wonderful workout!
 
Good for you, you knew what your body needed - swimming. Slow and steady is the way to proceed. Another side benefit that hasn't been mentioned is that it tires you out so you will rest better. Deeper sleep is always good. Keep up the good progress.
 
Quick update. I have been back to the pool again, increased the number of laps by 2, and once again it felt great. The stiffness is definitely easing ever so slightly - I notice that when I go up and particularly down stairs, and also on the exercise bike. And the swelling is going down very slowly, too. So I believe I am doing the right things. As for PT, I have one more scheduled session, and that will do it for me. I like the guy and the place, but I have learnt the stretches that I want and am not interested in the strengthening stuff. Not because I don't need to strengthen my muscles - I definitely do - but because gyms bore me stupid and I find it hard to comply. I go back to Pilates next week, with some private sessions to start with, and I think that will suit me better. Since going back in the pool, I feel like my body is more my own, and that's what I want to develop. I am pretty sure that when I go back for the surgeon's office to check my ROM in two weeks time, if I'm not at 0° extension, they will try and make me use something called a Dynasplint which sounds like some sort of instrument of medieval torture and which I will refuse. I am working on my extension and it is paying off, but it is probably not at 0° yet. That's hardly surprising, since I haven't been able to fully extend that knee for years. I will just have to keep on doing what I'm doing until I can fully extend it. I think my flexion is probably at 125°; again, it hasn't gone further than that for years, and I'm not sure how much further it will ever go. It's now 47 years since I originally injured my knee and was operated on for a meniscal tear, so it's hardly surprising that it's not going to reach the same ROM as the other knee. Now I just have to wait for my motorcycle to be all fixed up for the season and then I will see what that feels like.
 
I am working on my extension and it is paying off, but it is probably not at 0° yet. That's hardly surprising, since I haven't been able to fully extend that knee for years. I will just have to keep on doing what I'm doing until I can fully extend it.
My extension lagged behind my bend, also. For me, the best thing I did to help it was to walk with a much longer stride, making sure to do it with a heel-to-toe gait. This causes those soft tissues behind the knee to stretch out. You won't reach 0 overnight, of course, especially since your extension hasn't been 0 in many years, but it will definitely help you reach a lower number eventually.
 
It sounds like the pool is the ticket for you, Alice Nutter!
so it's hardly surprising that it's not going to reach the same ROM as the other knee
It may, or may not. My surgeons PA reminded me early on that our prosthetic joint, while getting very close, will never match our natural one. Kind of takes the pressure off, even if only a smidge. :wink:
You're doing it your way...with great success. Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
 
I agree with your decision to nix the Dynasplint if it’s offered. We’ve had people who tried the device and frankly there has not been much evidence of it helping. It’s expensive even if insurance pays for it and uncomfortable to live in. You have the right idea about how to get that extension back and you will be successful over time. I love the fact that you’re able to slowly increase your work in the pool with no negative effects. You know your body best.
 
1743897945250.webp

Dynasplint...for those wondering.
Gentle stretching device that helps increase joint range of motion through daily stretching .
 
8 weeks post-op. I have now been swimming three times, and intend to go back today. It took another lightbulb moment to realise that no, I can't rapidly get back to how much I was swimming pre-op, and that yes, when they say this recovery takes a year or more they were talking about me too. Accepting that you can't just bounce back, that what you're dealing with (hopefully) is tiny incremental improvements - I now walk downstairs alternating feet without really thinking about it for example - is hard. I do feel I was better prepared mentally for this recovery because I had hip replacement last year and very quickly joined the ODIC, with horrible consequences (sciatica). I think too it has helped that my knee was so nasty beforehand, had been gradually limiting my life over years, so this replacement came with a great sense of relief that I had finally done what I had known for a long time needed to be done. Also I returned to Pilates last night, for a private session, and I am going to wrap up PT this week and concentrate on Pilates. I enjoy the activities, and feel that I am participating more actively in my own recovery.
 
It took another lightbulb moment to realise that no, I can't rapidly get back to how much I was swimming pre-op, and that yes, when they say this recovery takes a year or more they were talking about me too. Accepting that you can't just bounce back,
Yes, this is so true! And we each come to this moment in our own time.

It's great that you are recognizing your progress in those small milestones -- like doing the stairs. It sounds like you are doing really well for so early in this recovery.

:flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] RTKR February 12th Recovery thread

8 weeks post RTKR. Two weeks ago I got the okay from the surgeon to ride my motorcycle, and yesterday the weather and spare parts gods finally aligned and I rode it home from the garage. Twenty minutes. I could have done a bit more, but not much more. The knee felt a little tight on the footpegs, but not distractingly so, and it was great to have a nice solid reliable knee instead of the old rickety one when I put both feet down at the stop signs. As with swimming and Pilates, I am aware that I must not push it, but today there seem to be no adverse consequences. If anything, the knee is slightly less tight, and getting back to something I love is good for my overall mental health. Unfortunately it snowed overnight....
 
Look at you go, AliceNutter! Vroom, vroom :hog:
Have a wonderful weekend! Glad you're feeling no worse for wear today. :)
@Alice Nutter
 
Yippee! Way to go on the motorcycle. Being able to do that at just 2 months is outstanding. I understand wanting to get back to something you love. It gives you a goal and you achieved that goal! That's what this surgery is all about.
 
I believe you used great self restraint in waiting two weeks from your doctors okay to ride. That shows your listening to your body. As for the snow, it won't last long and will make you appreciate your next ride all the more. Good job.
 
Wow, there’s no way my PKR would have tolerated either the bent knee, or the vibration of the motorcycle, at 8 weeks, but my knee has always been a drama Queen when it doesn’t like something, even now, 8 years later!

I met my husband when I was 19, and he was just turning 24. He had a motorcycle and I did enjoy riding it with him, once I got used to leaning on the turns. That first ride I’m not sure he prepared me for them, but I fought it a bit and he called back don’t do that, lean with me! After that I relaxed and trusted him and enjoyed the rides. :roseshwr: Sadly, we sold the motorcycle to help with the down payment on our first house and never got another one.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom