Guest viewing is limited

THR RSC's recovery thread

One year update:

Just documenting that things are still going well. Still hiking a lot. The most recent backpacking trip was in late September to California's Lost Coast south of Eureka. We did the King Range portion with lots of walking on the beach.

I may take up running in extreme moderation to keep cardiovascular fitness, but I'm not sure how much would be recommended or safe. I told myself that I would wait a year, and it's been a year now. I tried a little bit yesterday at intervals in a 1.5 mile brisk walk and it felt OK.

I've said this before, but my advice on THR recovery would be to be patient and not push things at the beginning.
 
@RSC, how wonderful! The Lost Coast area is absolutely gorgeous, and I am so glad you got to backpack there. My family and I have spent many happy hours there, on the beaches and along the ridges with the views of the ocean. I hope the moderate running works for you. And I fully agree with the take-it-easy-in-the-beginning advice. It's been a year from the second surgery for me, and slow-but-sure has worked for me.
 
Inspiring update...
Back living life, doing the things you love.
Goal accomplished!
To many more years of hiking / backpacking :hiking:
@RSC
 
I hope the moderate running works for you.
Krista, thank you for the well wishes. On the running, that was a "may take up" and "extreme moderation". I meant this more as an indication of how well I was feeling more than anything else. I'm finding that brisk walking on uphills works pretty well for cardio and is quite enjoyable. I was pleased to see the update to your thread with pictures.
 
I get it, @RSC! You are just thinking about running, and you will take great care when and if you do. Very sensible. I am just a little bit older than you, and I will never run again, but I do enjoy the brisk walking, like you do!
 
I'm not doing the running.

I mentioned a Mount Shasta summit climb in Constanze's thread, and I thought that I should write something about it, although it's a long story and I'm sure to either leave something out or to go on and on.

Anyway, the climb was not successful if by that you mean getting to the top. This was a three-day guided climb up the Avalanche Gulch route. The first day we went up to base camp at about 10000 feet in the snow. I was feeling a little demoralized because there were only three people on this trip -- myself, the guide, and another client, who was an ultramarathoner and avid rock climber. So there I was, tagging along behind while the guide and the other client shared rock climbing stories.

The second day we had training -- learning footwork with crampons, ice axe technique, self-arrest practice, glissading, etc. I was a little concerned about the footwork with crampons, because I discovered that we were using the pied Ă  plat or French technique. Basically on steep slopes you go up side stepping, as opposed to front-pointing, in which only the toes of the crampons kick into the snow or ice. This involves one foot crossing over the other as you go uphill.
[Bonesmart.org] RSC's recovery thread


The picture isn't quite right, because we had the shaft rather the pick of the ice axe planted into the snow and were standing more upright.

I was told that this was a no-no after hip replacement, although I'm not sure how valid this is after recovery. Still, I was concerned, particularly since I have problems in one knee (more on this later) and would be doing this repeatedly by the light of a headlamp.

So anyway, we went to bed early so that we could get up at midnight. We had to start climbing at 1am for the snow to be firm and frozen all the way up to the summit. I finally decided after getting dressed and having some tea and oatmeal that it would be better for me not to go. There was too much of a chance of not making it and ruining the attempt for the other client.

To be continued.
 
As I was saying, I decided not to attempt the summit, so the other two left without me at 1am, while I stayed at base camp. I watched for a bit, then went back to bed. They finally got back to base at 2pm. They reached the summit at 10am, so 9 hours of climbing and 4 hours of descending. The other client was exhausted, so I can only imagine how I would have been.

We then packed up and headed back to the car. This was about 3.2 miles with 2600 feet of descent. Something like the first mile was in soft snow, with the remaining on rock, mostly on a trail. This was somewhat difficult for me, since I have to be very careful about my knee collapsing. It didn't seem that far, but I was very sore afterward, mostly in my glutes and calves. I don't normally get that. Maybe it was the rental boots changing my gait. I was concerned about wearing big clunky rigid mountaineering boots, but they turned out to be maybe the most comfortable boots I've ever worn (Zamberlan Mountain Pro).

I may be on the knee side later, but I'm hoping that I can hold out for at least a year. After getting back I got the results of an MRI. I have arthritis, some bone on bone, a couple of complex meniscus tears, a sprained fibulocollateral (or lateral collateral) ligament, and a possible chronic ACL sprain. But so far, no pain. I just have to be careful descending and always use trekking poles.

On the whole, I'm feeling good about the trip and glad I had the opportunity. It was definitely the right decision not to continue on up.
 
Last edited:
What a wonderful adventure even so.
I'm in awe!
Good for you.:egypdance:
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
Hello @RSC , I enjoyed your report on the climb up Mount Shasta and found it extremely interesting, especially the pictures where the technique of using an ice axe is demonstrated. It doesn't matter if you just managed to go to the base camp. I never did climbing but we went hill walking in the Alpes when I was a teenager. I went with my mum and dad then - even long distances - walks that took all day long - up the summit of mountains that are 2000 m high in Austria (maybe you have heard of the town of Millstadt in Carinthia, Austria). Now I have moved to the Rhine-Main area midway between Frankfurt and Wiesbaden, and there is only the Taunus hills north of where I live, and I don't have the time for long-distance, all day long walking. So, to keep my cardio fitness, I took up running (as you have heard - by no means moderately) - first just 5 km in the forest near work with colleagues in the lunch hour. Then the distances became longer and longer, and a colleague encouraged my to take part in Frankfurt Marathon (which I finished). That was 2005. Ever since I've done 12 marathons altogether - and this half Ironman as you have heard. The location of my work (in Langen, just south of Frankfurt) is also a very good training place for Frankfurt Ironman (the second most important one worldwide, just after Hawaii). The lake near work where I go swimming in summer is the swimming lake for Frankfurt Ironman. I tried for Frankfurt Ironman in 2013 and 2014, but never made it - I got disqualified after km 90 cycling because my cycle speed was too slow. Maybe it's because I had a bad hip then - my muscles were already week but I wasn't in too much pain. Well, I'm not sure whether I want to give it another try - Ironman is also a fair amount of effort from the organisational point of view. Maybe, I'll try for another marathon and try to finish it without walking intervals this time and under 5 hours....And just use the swimming and the walking - plus yoga/gymnastics for a well balanced training regime. But now (on Sunday) we'll go to England (Devon and Cornwall) to relax and enjoy ourselves first.
Do carry on reporting about yourself on here - it's fun. I wish you continued health - Constanze
 
Very interesting, exciting and brave!
Happy you didn't continue up and that YOU felt it was the best decision.
Thanks for sharing that story.
Hope you're doing well and wishing you a lovely weekend!
@RSC
 
Back
Top Bottom