Guest viewing is limited

THR RSC's recovery thread

8 weeks since surgery

I'll be out of town on the two month date so I'm giving an update now. Things are going well. I can walk without difficulty or pain, and the energy drain has lifted. I seem to have more energy than before the operation.

What surprised me was how quickly the walking ability returned after getting off the walker. I was on the walker for five weeks due to weight bearing restrictions. Week 6 was maybe a little shaky and I was a little concerned about handling a visit from our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren on week 7, but by then I was able to walk around carrying a 10 month old grandson in my arms without any concerns.

I'm beginning to come around to the prevailing BoneSmart view on PT. I think that the first month or so of gentle in-home PT might have been worthwhile just to keep things moving, but now I'm inclined to drop it. I know which muscles need strengthening (the same ones as before surgery) and I'm perfectly capable of working these myself at an appropriate level. My main difficulty is with flexibility, but this has always been difficult for me. The PT is not really helping me with this, just telling me to stretch. I've stretched consistently for years without any sign of progress. Just before I left the last visit, he gave me a list of exercises and stretches. One of them, a piriformis stretch, looked like instant dislocation. Needless to say, I stayed away from that one.

The PT did give me one exercise last week that was kind of fun and challenging. It was to stand on a wobble board, then toss a ball toward a mini trampoline and catch it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RSC sounds like you are doing really well! I agree with your observations regarding PT. In most cases it just isn't helpful. And you are right - that piriformis stretch should not be done so early out. Later it will be fine - but that was pretty careless of that PT.
 
Major setback this week with a severe case of the flu. Chest congestion, coughing, wheezing, fever of 102.7 F (39.3 C), aching, can't do anything, couldn't eat for four days or so, just water and a little orange juice. I seem to be getting a little better, but it's been more than a week now without any physical activity. I was up to being able to walk two miles without any difficulty, but who knows where I'll be at now. Maybe it was the long car drive going out of town - 6 hours, even though I got out to walk around every hour.
 
So sorry to hear this @RSC - if it's any consolation I, too, was hit with the flu over Christmas and it knocked me for six. Finally got rid of it about a week ago only to wake this morning with a very nasty cold and sore throat. I do wonder if the healing our bodies are concentrating on renders us prone to picking up these bugs, as our systems are a little compromised. Just take things steady and you'll pick up.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
@Miss muffler and @ RSC So sorry you were hit with the flu bug. I think our immune systems are compromised while recovering from surgery. Even this far out. Wonder if it time to bump up the vitamins. Please push fluids and rest til all better. I read where gargling even with tap water keeps one from getting the germ buildup in back of throat. I am a gargling fool!
 
@Miss Muffet Hope you saw my note saying so sorry about the flu bug. Somehow my computer came out
with Miss muffler. Darn spell check! I am getting around pretty well at the 10 week mark. Trying now to
get more walking time in. The weather here is warm and toasty so I have no excuse. Now I drag hubby with
me as he needs the exercise too! Don't forget to take your vitamins and take care of yourself! Everyone is
depending on you!!!!
 
Time for a 3-month update:

Things are going well. My energy level is back, or much better, and I feel that I would not be so likely to pick up something like the flu. This week I was down at Joshua Tree National Park and a nearby reserve and was able to get in 5.5 and 7.2 mile hikes. My feet got a little tired, but there was no discomfort or difficulty in the hip. I do get some momentary stiffness after sitting for a long time.

Before surgery I was a little concerned about my back being often stiff and sore and thought I might have to do something about it, but now my back feels great. I think that my back was compensating for my body not being able to bend at the hip. It seems that I got a two for one with the hip surgery.

To those who are not as far along in recovery, I would say to hang in there and things will get better. I thought that it would take forever to be able get my shoes and socks on, but as of about two weeks ago I can do this without too much difficulty.
 
I had the four month followup with the OS today. It's all good. Next appointment is for a five year followup. Still working on stride length and strength in the glutes.
 
Great update, RSC. I am very impressed that you can walk so far at this stage of your recovery. It certainly gives encouragement to more recent hippies such as myself. Hope you continue to go from strength to strength.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
Time for a 6-month update:

Things are still going well, with no pain or difficulty. I haven't dislocated yet and am starting to get a little less worried about it. I've been going out on Mondays for 6-10 mile hikes with a local group. On other days I try to get in a couple of somewhat hilly miles.

I have a lot of backpacking in the Sierra Nevada (California) planned for this summer. A trek in Nepal may be coming up, but I can't say now. I'll post later, maybe with pictures, when things actually happen.

I would say to others in the first couple of months to be patient. It didn't seem like recovery was very fast, and then all of a sudden things got better quickly.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are doing great physically, @RSC! I'm 6 months out, too, this time from my gluteal tendon repair surgery. I am thrilled that you can go on such long walks, and that you have backpacking in the Sierra Nevada planned for this summer. My husband, children and I have had many fantastic backpacking trips there. Would love to see any pictures you post!
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
@RSC Great update! Yes those first months can be frustrating. But your experience is more proof - there is plenty of life post THR.

Enjoy your backpacking. I spent many weeks backpacking in the Sierras. Fantastic scenery!
 
Nine month update (almost):

The hip is feeling strong and stable. I got back yesterday from my first backpacking trip this summer. Eight days from the Mammoth Lakes area to Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite).

Thousand Island Lake
[Bonesmart.org] RSC's recovery thread


Entering Yosemite, top of Donohue Pass
[Bonesmart.org] RSC's recovery thread

[Bonesmart.org] RSC's recovery thread


Looking backwards in Lyell Canyon
[Bonesmart.org] RSC's recovery thread
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RSC What a fantastic update! Your pictures are making me homesick. I spent many, many days backpacking in that same area year ago. Lovely!

So glad you are living life again with that shiny new hip.
 
Gorgeous....gorgeous.
Back to life.
 
@RSC, so happy to see this! I've been in all of the places in your photos, and it's so great you are getting to experience the mountain wilderness again. I follow the John Muir Trail facebook page, and have been noting the extra challenges this year with the huge snowpack and melting run-offs making things more difficult, but also more beautiful. I wonder if you use trekking poles. If not, then I am amazed!
:hiking:
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
@Krista, yes, we used trekking poles, or actually one trekking pole and one Black Diamond Whippet. The Whippet is a ski pole with an ice ax pick mounted on top in case you have to do a self-arrest. The poles were especially useful in the stream crossings, some of which were pretty high. I tended to do a little more wading than crossing on logs and trusting my balance. The snow was mostly melted, but we did have to cross a little bit. The Whippet was completely unnecessary and two trekking poles would have been better and lighter.

We also used microspikes (sort of a mini crampon, halfway between Yaktrax and crampons) on one stretch. Well, actually microspikes are a trademark I think, and I used the Chainsen Pro equivalent. They weren't necessary, but we had them, so I put them on to try them out -- never used them before, but I really liked them. Easy to put on and lots of grip.

I've been following your posts and wishing you well in my thoughts.
 
Yes, @RSC, trekking poles make things much safer when crossing streams, and also ALL the time for me. Love your idea of one regular pole and one with the ice ax on top for when the ax pick might be needed. Sorry you had to carry the extra weight for nothing, but this year you might only have been ok not taking them if it had been later in August. Glad you like the microspikes. It seems like it is only lately that they, or crampons, are not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the well wishes. Every day I spend some time happily fussing over our gear for our upcoming trip to the wilderness island in Lake Michigan. My latest fun acquisition is a Euroschirm Light Trek hiking pocket umbrella with UV protection. I can use it hands-free when using two trekking poles. I want it for sun protection more than rain protection, but it will work well for both. I'll be spending lots of time on the beach and in the sun, and I'll have my own shade with me at all times. The other is an Anker solar mobile charger, which works great! Maybe I'll leave one of my heavier mobile chargers at home.

It's nice to be planning an outdoors trip instead of just sitting around hurting all the time and going to doctor's offices
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom