THR RSC's recovery thread

Progress can come in little surprises and the easier movement out of bed this morning is testament to that, but misleading videos are no help at all. Regardless of the approach this is a big surgery and takes a little bit of time to recover from, however you will find that things continue to get better gradually and don't forget you're not yet a week out. Totally agree about icing - lucky you having the luxury of an ice machine.
 
@RSC Im glad to read you are doing pretty good and recovering. I just caught up on your thread. I am going to have to remember the cycling gloves trick. :)
Did you get to see that moon?? Today is supposed to be the closest to the earth day I think.
 
Day 10
Everything seems to be on schedule.

The bandage was taken off yesterday for good and I was given the go-ahead to shower. Surgical glue, so no stitches or staples to remove.

Three more days of the Lovenox injections. PT three times a day, but it's very gentle. Continuing to ice as directed.

@gertie, I have to add that what surprised me about the pain was that it was pretty much only in the groin, where the pain was before surgery. Little to no pain at the incision site or where I would expect it to be after cutting the muscles. The pain has definitely decreased, but I'm still taking the Tylenol.

Because of doctor's orders, I'm still on the walker, even though I feel that I could get around fine with only a cane at this point. The OS believes that he gets better results with restricted weight bearing. It's not that the surgery did not go well or that there are any problems with my recovery.

So with my being on the walker at least until my appointment on the 29th, this isn't going to be a story of any miraculous recovery. I do have better range of motion than before the surgery.
 
Little to no pain at the incision site or where I would expect it to be after cutting the muscles.
Muscles aren't cut but they are pushed aside. Great that your pain levels have been well managed.
 
Hello @RSC It does sound like you are making progress although probably not as quickly as you would like.
After surgery we all want to fast forward about 3 months. So happy to hear from Jaycey that the muscles
Aren't cut but pushed aside. That should make recovery so much easier in the long run. I am happy to hear that you have greater range of motion. This will continue to improve over time also. Good luck with your appointment
On the 29th.
 
Day 14

Beginning of day 14 post-op. The Lovenox shots are over. No more Tylenol or other pain medicine.

I'm still on the walker, just because the OS believes that he gets a better final result without what he calls a pistoning action of the stem in the femur. I am allowed to bear full weight when standing. I really feel that if it were not for this issue, I would be fine without the walker, and sometimes I almost forget that I have to use it.

The PT is coming over today at noon. I'll ask him about icing, then probably call the office. I think that the icing was really good at the beginning, but it seems somewhat counterproductive at this point, since of course I have to be stationary in order to ice, and I feel a little stiffer after icing.

And I'm ready to lose the TED hose on the operated leg, but I can't rock the boat too much. Just prior to surgery, I sent the OS a few questions. There was a send button, but I couldn't find a retract button. I'm afraid that some of the questions might have come across as questioning his professional judgement. Then he was kind enough to set up an appointment to go over the questions, and I pressed him a little bit on some issues. But he didn't seem to take offense that I could tell.

@SwimGirl, thanks for looking in on me. I'm glad to hear that you think the range of motion will get better. Right now it seems like I have a problem achieving much external rotation and a long way to go before I can tie my shoes or cut my toenails. I brought this up with the PT on his last visit and we went over this a little bit.

I think that Jaycey was under the impression that I had an anterior approach when she said that the muscles were not cut, so I've updated my signature to indicate that the approach was posterior. In my approach, the piriformis and gemellus superior muscles are cut and reattached. Or maybe the tendon rather than the muscle itself is cut. I don't know. Anyway, one of my concerns is tearing of the stitches that attach these muscles if I overstrain them. I'll have to bring this up, although the OS is very cautious and assured me that there would be no permanent disability.
 
@RSC The docs are generally aware that the patients are going to ask a lot of questions. I myself will write down my many questions at my follow up appointment Dec. 5th. And I will hold onto their lab coat til they are all answered. If you think you will remember them all forget it! How many times have I left the office saying I forgot about this other issue. I would be interested in knowing exactly what was cut ,muscle or tendons and reattached if any was at all!

Indeed as you progress PT will be helping you with more range of motion. So that is a definite! Just takes tincture of time! And regarding sutures tearing.....it just happened to me on anterior approach. I was standing up
From toilet and the sutures popped and I felt more than just one layer. Not terribly painful....more surprising! The Nurse practitioner examined sutureline and said all was fine. The outer layer was intact oddly but inside was more trauma thus slowing my recovery I believe. Also, PT dept. said these things happen and I would live. Josephine said same so I am okay with all the confirmation. Always something!
 
Wouldn't you know it. I've been very good about using the walker, never forgetting that I have to be using it and keeping weight off my left leg. Then the PT came over today noon for his last visit, and right in front of him I started walking without the walker. I didn't even realize I was doing it until he said "Don't forget your walker." It was really embarrassing. I told him earnestly several times that this was the first time I'd done that. Oh well, I suppose it means that things are progressing well. Except for tying the shoes. That I think is going to be a long haul.

@SwimGirl, I'm glad to hear that it sounds like the sutures are going to be OK.
 
@RSC Don't worry about what PT thinks. People walk off all the time without their walkers. They see all kinds of things! I just told @gertie that it is a sign that you are progressing when you walk away and wonder where you left your cane! It happens.

Thank you regarding sutures. I am sure I am not the first to experience this.
 
Day 24

Just checking in and recording events.

I had my three-week followup on Tuesday (day 22). Uneventful, except that I was told that after another week I would be allowed to go to 50-75% weight bearing on the walker for a week, then no walker. In his words referring to the 50-75% weight bearing, "I want you to cheat a little bit." I feel much better now having been given a timeline for this and knowing that it's not very far out. It may seem small, but I'm really looking forward to not having to be so vigilant with the weight bearing. Also at the four week point, no more TED hose and no more aspirin.

@SwimGirl, the tendons of the piriformis and gemellus superior were cut and sewn back with dissolvable sutures. I was concerned about tearing these, but the OS said that if they were torn then I would dislocate. I asked him whether that meant that if hadn't dislocated, then I haven't torn them, and he said yes.

I saw Al Roker on the Dr. Oz show yesterday (day 23). No detectable limp at three weeks out. I know this has already been discussed here.

Today at noon is my first outpatient physical therapy appointment.
 
@RSC so that is very interesting! The tendons WERE cut. So, if the sutures were torn then a dislocation would always occur? Good you turned it around on him and asked if it hadn't dislocated then you wouldn't have torn the sutures! I wonder if you found out about all this after the fact! No wonder about the weight bearing limitations!
Glad you got a timeline where you can do more weight bearing. That must be a relief! Also no ted hose or aspirin., yeah! Good for you!
 
Day 25

First outpatient PT appointment yesterday. Mostly continued with the exercises I had been given for home PT, but with the addition of bridges, supine straight leg lifts, and side-lying hip abduction. I'm finding it much more difficult to do the bridges on a soft bed than it was in the PT facility, but I don't know how to get up and down off the floor without violating one or the other of weight bearing restriction or 90 degree restriction. I'll ask about that the next time I see the PT.

Thanks, @SwimGirl. I was told beforehand about the tendons being cut, but the weight bearing restriction was totally unexpected. I'm pretty sure that the weight bearing restriction is so that the bone can bond well to the hydroxyapatite coating on the implant rather than to prevent dislocation. I'm inferring this by what the PT said. He works extensively with my OS. My OS is maybe a little overly cautious about this and about other things like lifetime precautions and antibiotics prior to dental appointments.
 
@RSC Well that explains why no weight bearing. I am glad that your OS is leaning more cautious than not.
I understand the difficulties with getting up and down off floor. My PT said that when I do get on floor, which I haven't done yet, to pull yourself up using a chair or table nearby. Sounds like what I did preop. I am sure right now that PT is fully expecting you to do the bridge exercises in bed especially with your restrictions. I wouldn't even try to get on the floor. Keep up the good work!
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RSC
I'm finally off weight bearing restriction. I walked around the house a little last night, but today will be my first full day of walking. Life is so much easier now being able to carry things in my hands and not having to always be next to the walker.

PT is working me pretty hard and my legs are sore the next day, but it feels really good. It's a good soreness, not a bad soreness, and I feel thankful that my legs feel alive and can do some work. I'll have to be careful though. I have a tendency to overdo things, and I think that's a large part of what generated the arthritis in the first place (long story).

PT wants me to do four sessions a week -- two with him and two at home. If I do this, then I can't avoid back to back sessions once during the week. This would be too much for me unless I really held back and just went through the motions. The PT told me that they tell people twice a day for the early phase exercises, but they figure that people will really do once a day. So maybe he's figuring that I'll really do three times a week. He says that I'm much farther along in recovery than I would be expected to be at this point. Maybe it just looks like it because it's hard for me to tell him that a particular exercise is difficult. I think I can hear Josephine typing right now.

I'm really looking forward to walking, and then a lot of walking this summer. I can tell that it's going to be a long time until I can tie my shoes. Flexibility has always been a problem for me. I ordered some elastic shoelaces (Lock Laces) that I think should work with a long-handled shoehorn.

I would say that I'm really happy with the operation, but I do have moments in which I try to second guess myself. Maybe I should have gotten a dual mobility hip. Maybe there was something else that could have been done. But these are only moments. In hindsight, it might have been a good idea to take notes before the surgery to remind myself of just how bad the arthritis really was.

And I appreciate the people on BoneSmart, even though I haven't been able to keep up with all the threads.
 
@RSC Had to laugh about hearing Josephine typing right away! Ha! Ha! I took her message quite literally
And on this second hip have done no exercise but simple natural movements around the house and walking but not to excess. Went to a very large hospital to visit a friend and it was a 20 min walk with 3 elevators to and from my car. I used my long umbrella for support and I got my exercise in for the day. Will return to formal PT sometime in Jan. 3 times a week for 4 weeks. I don't have time for that as I have to go Christmas shopping!
Glad you are happy with the operation. You are right about forgetting the preop status. I just know that everything is easier in life after having both hips done!
 
Insignificant or unknown pimples that 'might' be insect bits aren't a danger but you should never apply antibiotic cream to them. For one thing, the tube you have has most likely been open for sometime and is now contaminated. Tubes of ointment are invariably contaminated after only a few days. Plus using antibiotic cream in a situation like this is irresponsible and just the kind of thing that has caused us to now be plagued with MRSA. Sorry, don't mean to come across as a strict matron type but I never want to pass upon the chance to advise about this. It's so very important.
 
@Josephine, thank you so much. I deleted the question before you answered because on reconsideration it seemed a foolish one to me.

To everyone else, the question was about what might have been a flea bite near the incision and whether I should be concerned about it. Seems foolish, I know, but my OS really has me going with all his precautions, including a warning about possible infections from cat bites. Initially I applied only alcohol to the spot. I'll stay away from the antibiotic cream.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom