Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2

I can totally relate, my embarrassment started in the ward of the hospital moments after wheeling me in from surgery they put a large bag of ice on my knee, a short while after I told my husband that the :ice: was leaking as the bed was all wet...the auxiliary came, cleaned the sheets replaced the ice bag and approximately 20 minutes later, I complained again of the ice leaking, this time a nurse popped by and infact it was not the ice leaking, they had forgotten to put me in a diaper and of course with the spinal block I had no control whatsoever- my husband found it hilarious :rotfl:
Fortunately at home, I have an en-suite from my bedroom but in the first few days I needed help, this time I am jolly well requesting a diaper haha.
 
Absolutely. That was the worst part of my hospital overnight - I had a reaction to the nerve block and had a complete dead leg so could not get out of bed. I wanted to pee constantly and had to keep calling for a bed pan - they were short staffed and couldn’t come soon enough so I had accidents. They gave me a bed pad but not a diaper - it was so embarrassing! Finally in the middle of the night a new nurse came in to my call and saw how upset I was and gave me a device that collected the pee via a little tube so I could just go constantly and not wet the bed! Once home it was better but I got my exercise getting up every 3 hours to pee.
 
@patriciad I like the sound of that pee tube, I might just enquire next week when I go for my covid test next Sunday as here in Portugal we are kept in hospital for 2 nights minimum and at night hospital staff a few and far between so I totally relate to your post.
I'm just so thankful we only have 2 knees. .it will be my hips next no doubt :shocked: :rotfl:
 
I looked online and found something that looked like it under female external catheter so that would be what to ask about.
Good luck.
 
I think one brand name for it is the Pure Wick. I'm not sure it's standard on orthopedic floors. More like an ICU thing but it's worth a try.
 
@Rubyroo - have you decided what you are wearing to and from the hospital? Or will you be going home on the same day ?
If the hospital is warm I will wear pyjamas shorts whilst there as the PT will bring the cpm machine and I think shorts are a bit more discreet, I did purchase from Adidas some track suit bottoms with poppers down the side of the legs- as its cold I think I might try and wear these on discharge as I have a 40 minute drive home. I have been told I will stay 2 nights minimum, hopefully this time I don't get a snorer in the room :shocked: it's 1 week tomorrow
 
11 days out from surgery! I had my pre-op tests done today. Everything looked good- they said no news - is good news regarding the blood work they took this afternoon- so fingers crossed.
@Sara61 Not sure about the clothes thing for the hospital yet. I have a short sleeve tie dye t-shirt dress I thought might be easy to slip over my head for when I leave the hospital. I’ll have a jacket to wear home & probably a blanket in my car. But not certain on the clothes yet. I also just bought some longer shorts that might work. Your surgery is on my son’s birthday- so I won’t forget & I’ll be praying you up. Last time I spent one night in hospital & I told my Dr. that I stayed overnight in Dec 2019- so I think that is the plan this time too. I hope so anyway! One night minimum in my opinion. I want to be where the medical professionals and the good drugs are if needed!
Getting my haircut tomorrow. Trying to take care of a few things that won’t be getting done for awhile.
 
Last edited:
@patriciad - Thank you xx
I've got my hair booked for Friday, as hoping that way my roots will last longer, As I'm sure we will have friends popping around over the Xmas period.
My left knee is playing up, not sure if weather related or a reaction from being nervous, just trying to keep my mind busy and not overthink things.
 
Last edited:
I always get weather related knee aches - rain and damp are big ones and any cold of course. Noticing it on my new PKR but not as much. Even though I was prepared I was very nervous on the run up to the day but calmed right down in the pre op and couldn’t wait to get to the other side. As you know it’s not easy but the end result is worth it and that’s what I tried to keep front and center during those difficult first months. Will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how you are progressing.
 
I had my RTKR in 2018. I was in the hospital and told the nurse I needed to go to the bathroom to pee. She brought a bedpan and I told her I could not go. She goes to take the bedpan away and the whole bedpan is full. I did not even know I went. When I got home, if you read my journey, I wrote this so many times that I had to go to the bathroom regularly. I was told this is the norm after the surgery and all the IV's. Needing assistance and the regular bathroom thing is the norm.

Just another part of this journey. Best Wishes, Schpooko
 
@Sara61 Hey- were you able to get your COVID booster yet? How do you get your recovery thread going after surgery? Do you just post here and ask one of the Moderators to start you a recovery thread? And after you get your recovery thread can they put a link on it to your old 2019 recovery thread too?
 
@Rubyroo Yes, I got the Moderna last week (previously I had the J&J) fortunately no side effects other than an extremely sore arm.
Days running out too quickly now, Saturday PM I get the dreaded PCR covid nasal swab ( not looking forward to that at all).
Christmas tree up and decorated, my side board ready too, due to restrictions it will be a quiet one for us. Hoping my daughter can travel from the UK but not holding my breath as its getting more and more difficult to travel and due to work she only has a few days to come away. But fingers and toes crossed.
On Monday Just house left to blitz, bedding to change and I'm ready to go....
How are you doing? xxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Round 2
    20211202_121944_copy_600x800.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 152
  • [Bonesmart.org] Round 2
    20211202_120107_copy_600x800.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 164
@Sara61 Your tree & your sideboard are lookin’ good! I’m doing ok- woke up at 4:20 am and I had a hard time going back to sleep. Leaving today for the mountains until Sunday to a lovely Mountain house with hubby, Daughter & her beau, Son, Daughter-in-law & our 3 month old Granddaughter. Looking forward to spending time with the fam. No WiFi at the place we are going which might be a good thing. Hope to dampen my knee obsessed thoughts for a few days. Check back in upon return. Thinking of you & all you BoneSmarties :friends:
 
Have a wonderful stress free trip to the mountains forget your knee and what's to come, hopefully the mountain air will make you sleep better, enjoy your vacation with the family xx
 
@Rubyroo so glad your mini vacation was a success. The views sounded spectacular and a bonus to see the SpaceX’s Starlink satellites. Try not to worry, just remember we've done this before and we have a good knee to prove it, I feel calmer this morning not that I had a good night sleep, my daschund must be sensing something as she spent most of the night trying to muffle my head, As I have to prepare myself tonight for tomorrows surgery, clean sheets, antibacterial wipes etc she gets booted out of the bedroom tonight, she and my hubby move to the spare room, most likely she will move back to my side upon my return but hubby gets to stay there till I'm fully recovered :heehee: it will be bliss- a king size bed to myself and I can wriggle, watch TV with headphones and chat to you on BoneSmart to my hearts content - See there are some plusses to this surgery after all xxx
 
Last edited:
@Sara61 Random thought.... My daughter’s name is Sara too ☺. Going to pick up critters from vet this am- they got boarded for the mini vacay. Drove me nuts not to have them here last night (Sunday- no pickup). It seemed so quiet without the three amigos....FatCat, Reuben, Mini Schnauzer & Hazel, Lab mix. Sometimes they drive me nuts but I love them so much & a house doesn’t seem like a home without them. Last go round we didn’t let the dogs around me for a couple of weeks. I was in too much pain, didn’t want to take the chance of getting bumped or jumped on & hubby was way to overwhelmed caring for me. Luckily FatCat kept me company. So I hate not being with my doggies for awhile but I gotta take care of myself.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Round 2
    AAFF736E-593A-4EE4-B059-54ED9EEF58A7.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 134
  • [Bonesmart.org] Round 2
    F97F7716-C594-4C59-BC2C-3FE18F0D7950.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 150
Your pets are just adorable :roseshwr: on my last surgery I had two dogs but sadly earlier this year we had to lay our Brittany Spaniel to rest he was 16 and very unwell so my Daschund is very spoilt now being the only fur baby, plus my daughter Gabriella lives and works in London ( we only see her a couple of times per year) so I rely heavily on my pooch for company x
I'm rooting for you on Friday, I have to be at the hospital at 7am (European time)so hopefully a morning surgery :praying: will try and get on BoneSmart at the end of the day just to say hello xx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Round 2
    20210921_135922_copy_800x522.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 139

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom