Guest viewing is limited

THR Rough Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our surgeries the same day, LoyalD. Of course each surgeon has his own protocol, but when I saw mine on Tuesday, he told me I could leave the TED off the good leg, but what the heck was the time frame for the bad?? Another week, then off if I was lying around, but on with more activity, I THINK! I am, just to be safe, leaving it on. Just getting rid of the one is a relief! Unfortunately of course, that's the one DH has to do with 90° restrictions! It finally occurred to me why it's so hard for him. Men have no idea how to put on hose, how you have to gather them all up, then slowly release as you pull it up, their never having worn hose before. :) plus they have to go at it from an awkward angle. We had a putting on hose lesson, and it seems to have helped.
 
Beach music, thanks for the insight. I feel better with the one compression sock on, and also am glad to get rid of the other one. Pain still exists, but if am over to one Hydrocordone every 4-6 hours. I slept seven hours last night. How is your pain?
 
@LoyalD I am one of the few very very fortunate ones who has no pain. We filled the prescription for oxycodone when I got out of the hospital, and I took one at bedtime that first night to hopefully help me get to sleep, but it didn't work, and that's the last one I've had. I've never been that great a sleeper and virtually never slept on my back, so sleep is still an issue. My back, butt, and heels get sore in the night from that position so I just get up for an hour or do, sit in a wing chair in the bedroom with my handy dandy iPad, and it seems just distributing the weight differently allows me to then sleep the rest of the night.

Re the compression sock...I was just getting ready to order another pair when he told me I only needed the one now. This way one will always be washed and waiting for me. My PT was telling me about a client he had who lived alone. When asked how he handled the TEDs, he said, "oh, I just take my shower with them on. They dry in about 20 minutes so it's no problem". :)
 
I need some advice on sleep. Last night it took me 1.5 hours to get to sleep, being in pain. I have tried every imaginable position and unfortunately finally settled on absolutely no pillows on my head or legs, literally laying flat on the mattress. I don't take Hydro to sleep because it keeps me awake. Can I take Tylenol PM maybe, or does that contradict my other medications?
 
@LoyalD I am one of the few very very fortunate ones who has no pain. We filled the prescription for oxycodone when I got out of the hospital, and I took one at bedtime that first night to hopefully help me get to sleep, but it didn't work, and that's the last one I've had. I've never been that great a sleeper and virtually never slept on my back, so sleep is still an issue. My back, butt, and heels get sore in the night from that position so I just get up for an hour or do, sit in a wing chair in the bedroom with my handy dandy iPad, and it seems just distributing the weight differently allows me to then sleep the rest of the night.

Re the compression sock...I was just getting ready to order another pair when he told me I only needed the one now. This way one will always be washed and waiting for me. My PT was telling me about a client he had who lived alone. When asked how he handled the TEDs, he said, "oh, I just take my shower with them on. They dry in about 20 minutes so it's no problem". :)
@Beachmusic , what are you finding on sleep? I see you are 71 and having it way easier than me!!!
 
I am not a good sleeper under any circumstances, so this makes it more difficult, but by 10, which was our normal bedtime before surgery, I am ready for it. I was just telling someone else that now, 19 days out, I'm beginning to sense I maybe, just maybe, am becoming a bit more accustomed to sleeping on my back. I still generally wake up at two, pretty sore (back, butt, heels but that is beginning to lessen), get up and read for about an hour which redistributes pressure, then back to bed and sleep until 7 comfortably. Then too, I'm one of the very very fortunate pain free ones and honestly I think that is just pure dumb luck combined with a surgeon who has been doing this for decades and probably has a gentle touch. I'm about 5'7" and went in weighing 123 so have a feeling he didn't have much digging to do to get to the bone, and that may have helped with that too. I hope it eases up for you!

We were talking compression stockings above, and I've decided I'll leave the remaining one indefinitely. I was without it for about an hour yesterday, took a long hot shower, and paid for it all with increased swelling last night. Well, it was a combination of things actually that contributed, but my mind went to that dark DVT place, and I decided that wasn't worth any amount of risk and resultant worry. As much of a pain in the neck as that is, I'm wearing it. My poor husband has the struggle of getting that thing back on, and it really is a struggle. They are nasty, but I'm putting up with it a while longer.
 
@LoyalD One other thing, and I have done this for ages, but it might help you now, for at least a decade I've taken an OTC nightly sleep aid. It began with Simply Sleep, then that was pulled off the shelves a few years ago with some sort of packaging issue. Currently I'm taking Walgreen's house brand, "Walgreens Nightime Sleep Aid", but the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCL 25 mg/pill. They are very mild and leave no next day hangover effect, nor do they give you crazy dreams. They are essentially the same thing as Tylenol PM, without the Tylenol. I take two, but if I were you, start with one and see how that does. I'm not big on taking any drugs, but sleepless nights make you stir crazy! My son-in-law, like me a natural born worrier, has found they help him too, unless he's really stressed by something, then he can power right though them, and I find the same thing. They are worth a try, and believe when I say they are mild. My concern for you is that your pain level maybe such that they won't mask it enough, but they do take the edge off that overly alert mind. My husband can fall asleep in 20 seconds. I hate him. LOL. :rotfl:
 
@Beachmusic, I feel like I am sitting wrong. I am sitting in the recliner with my leg up on a pillow, and my hip just hurts, hurts, hurts.

Great idea on the OTC sleep aid, and I will use it tonight. I am very much still on pain meds, it says every six hours, but I do every five hours. When I was on the Percocet, I had less pain than this, but 20 days out, one can't be on something that strong. I am baffled that I have to think so much ahead on pain meds, and for gosh sakes, people are taking this stuff recreationally. I would prefer to have the pain completely eliminated, but don't want the stigma of yarded pain meds. I always have a pain level if 5 occurring, at least with childbirth, there was no pain between contractions.
 
In the recliner, are toes over nose, and are you keeping ice on your hip? Do you have much swelling? I wish I could help @LoyalD! Everybody's reaction to the surgery is so different, and the more I read, the more I realize how different! I am so sorry for your pain level and that sounds so darned inadequate. :(. Sending good thoughts your way! No way did you bring this on yourself either. I was a runner too, 6 miles a day, 6 days a week for years, and if that destroyed this hip, then why is my other so darned good and pain free? <scowl cuss>.
 
@Beachmusic, thanks for the insight. I did it last night, went to bed at 7 pm, woke once in pain, took a pain pill, slept until 6 am. I woke up sweating probably because I had literally not moved, and put a towel under me quickly that one time I woke up, because I didn't want to miss any chance of getting back to sleep. Thank you so very much.
 
Yay @LoyalD! I am so happy it worked for you! There is nothing like a good nights sleep, ever, but especially after a series of bad nights! It sure does cure a lot of what ails us, doesn't it? Everything looks just a little bit brighter. Keep on keepin' on--you will get there!
 
If anyone is following my progress, just to let you know, I abandoned the handicapped toilet, dusted my downstairs and, most importantly, cooked tacos last night. I was an emotional wreck yesterday on literally no sleep, but I hope you call "hear" the happiness today.
 
yay! I dusted my livingroom Saturday night. Love the swiffer! Too premature to vacuum though nd that is making me crazy as the floor needs it badly. Hang in there! you will get there!
 
Thanks all. Just got call from outpatient PT that my first appointment will be July 29; my home PT need Saturday, July 12, seems like a long time, 17 days between PT?
 
You'll be fine. Hips don't really need that much in the way of therapy anyway. Just do some walking each day....along with your daily activity (getting up and moving around the house....not actual errands or housework) and you'll be fine.
 
We had our surgeries the same day, LoyalD. Of course each surgeon has his own protocol, but when I saw mine on Tuesday, he told me I could leave the TED off the good leg, but what the heck was the time frame for the bad?? Another week, then off if I was lying around, but on with more activity, I THINK! I am, just to be safe, leaving it on. Just getting rid of the one is a relief! Unfortunately of course, that's the one DH has to do with 90° restrictions! It finally occurred to me why it's so hard for him. Men have no idea how to put on hose, how you have to gather them all up, then slowly release as you pull it up, their never having worn hose before. :) plus they have to go at it from an awkward angle. We had a putting on hose lesson, and it seems to have helped.

@Beachmusic , circling back on your previous message, where are you in the TED?
 
Well, it's been off my good leg since last Tuesday. I still wear it full time on my bad one, and after the swelling incident Saturday night, I'm not even thinking now about taking that one off. It is the worst pain in the neck to get on again after a shower..it's making me think twice about even taking the shower! It's such a hassle for my husband! What have you done?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom