Guest viewing is limited

THR Rough Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I guess my question is, how long do people stay on which meds?
Well, here in the UK, we tend to treat hip patients with just codeine (60mg) 4hrly and paracetamol (Tylenol to you!) 1,000mgs 6hrly. It's more than adequate and doesn't have anywhere near the side effects that things like hydrocodone and oxycodone do.
I am in so much incredible pain, maybe I went off the Percocet too soon?
Well did you read the articles Sharon left you? Because it's all in there. Specially the very first one on pain management.

As for where to put the ice pack - anywhere it feels most effective! There is no right or wrong place to put it. Juts try it around and see what works for you. But, as MDanico says, always with a cloth between you and the pack to protect your skin. No freezer burn, please!
 
Wow all, you are more responsive than my entire network of doctors.

I started on Hydro Apap on Saturday, which was 11 days after my surgery date of June 24th. As I mentioned, from the beginning my low blood pressure has been a problem. So I have been on this 7.5 Hydrocordone for two days and am allowed to take it every six hours. By 3 hours, I am in tears and have had to take them at 4 hours increments. I feel yucky with this new medicine and am fearful it s because of the acetominophen? Maybe I am spending to much time on webmd because I think I am getting acetominophen toxicity,

I am awesome on my exercises, doing exactly what I am told to do. Last time PT came was on July 4.

Finally, now I have just gotten more nervous because the Comoudin Clinic just called and upped my warfarin to 8 mg.....what does that mean?
 
Well, here in the UK, we tend to treat hip patients with just codeine (60mg) 4hrly and paracetamol (Tylenol to you!) 1,000mgs 6hrly. It's more than adequate and doesn't have anywhere near the side effects that things like hydrocodone and oxycodone do.
Well did you read the articles Sharon left you? Because it's all in there. Specially the very first one on pain management.

As for where to put the ice pack - anywhere it feels most effective! There is no right or wrong place to put it. Juts try it around and see what works for you. But, as MDanico says, always with a cloth between you and the pack to protect your skin. No freezer burn, please!


I gather the surgery was more intensive than planned , as the ADR reported that he had to fix a shallow actebullum. Would that be more intrusive, therefore causing more pain?
 
@LoyalD A couple questions:

1. When was your surgery date?
2. What exactly are you taking for pain now.....name, amount, and how often?
3. Why do you think the acetaminophen is making you sick (as you mentioned in MDanico's thread)?
4. What is your activity level now....be very specific. Are you doing any exercises? If so, what; how many reps; how often. Are you doing any housework? Are you walking? How much, how often? Are you using any assistive devices....walker, cane, crutches, etc?

I'm tagging @Josephine to advise you on pain meds. It may be that Norco isn't working for you, but it may also be that you aren't taking an effective dose frequently enough to do you any good. I'm calculating that you are about two weeks out from your surgery...is that correct? That is still very early, and it sounds like you haven't had adequate pain control from the very beginning. Jo will try to help you straighten that out, and ideally your doctor will too....but it can take some trial and error to figure out the right balance.

Sharon
Sharon, I answered in the wrong place below, but responses are there. I feel like a hypochondriac.
 
I gather the surgery was more intensive than planned , as the ADR reported that he had to fix a shallow actebullum. Would that be more intrusive, therefore causing more pain?
Meant to say Dr said I had a shallow hip socket
 
Well, here in the UK, we tend to treat hip patients with just codeine (60mg) 4hrly and paracetamol (Tylenol to you!) 1,000mgs 6hrly. It's more than adequate and doesn't have anywhere near the side effects that things like hydrocodone and oxycodone do.
Well did you read the articles Sharon left you? Because it's all in there. Specially the very first one on pain management.

As for where to put the ice pack - anywhere it feels most effective! There is no right or wrong place to put it. Juts try it around and see what works for you. But, as MDanico says, always with a cloth between you and the pack to protect your skin. No freezer burn, please!

Yes, I read the articles Sharon gave me, in fact I read them the first day I came home, then again when she linked the. I also read all the articles on pain management she gave the link to.
 
Coumadin is adjusted based on your clotting time. So you have frequent blood draws and your doctor adjusts your dosage up or down based on what the lab results are. Ideally you will stabilize at some point and not need to be checked so frequently. How long will you be on the Coumadin? Usually it's a fairly short time for THR, to prevent blood clots in the early weeks after surgery.

Acetaminophen toxicity is only a concern if you take too high a dose. You are allowed a TOTAL of 4000 mg in a 24 hour period. If your Norco has 325 mg per tablet, and you are taking 4 tablets a day, that's 1300 mg, leaving you another 2700 mg you can space throughout the day to supplement the Norco. You say the Norco wears off after 3 hours....what do the actual instructions on your pill bottle say? Does it say 1 every 6 hours? Or does it say 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours? And do you still have Percocet left? If so, and the Percocet worked better for you, then you could go back to that instead.

You also can and should call your surgeon's office and discuss this. There are doctors who are worried about the Fed restrictions and don't want to write more prescriptions for you. And certainly there are people who abuse the drugs. But whether it's Percocet, or more Norco, or something else entirely (many of us find that tramadol works well for pain...others find tramadol makes them sick....trial and error; or maybe tylenol #3, the version with codeine; or whatever else your doc thinks is useful) you need to find the mixture that will work for you. Once you do, you stay on it long enough to get pain completely under control, and then you very slowly, very gradually, one little tweak at a time being tapering off. And that tapering off point is different for everyone. Some start tapering after two weeks; some after two months. Your body tells you what it needs, and yours is screaming that it needs attention to pain.

If you are awesome on your exercises, what does that mean? Which exercises, how many reps, how often? Are you in pain when you do your exercises? Or does pain come after? It is possible that you are doing too much too soon and that it is causing your pain to flair up even more, making it all the more difficult to control. You didn't say what else you are doing...how much walking, chores around the house, etc. It all adds up, and for many of us....we pile on way too much way too soon. Your big goals for the day right now should be to rest, and then rest some more. Naps are your friend.

I hope this helps, LoyalD. Once pain is under control, the rest of recovery is a whole lot easier to manage.

Sharon
 
For entertainment value everyone, being sarcastic, I placed a call to my doctor office this morning, and they never called me back. That is in addition to the home nurse calling them, on her own she later texted me, expressing concern about my pain level. Not even a call back to talk, give new guidance.....priceless.
 
I hope things are getting better. Do keep your pain under control if all possible. remember to rest, ice, pain meds around the block. Take care. Tashia
 
Is it your surgeon's office that is not responding? Try enlisting your primary care physician for help with pain. And when is your follow-up visit with your OS scheduled for?

Sharon
 
Apparently the doctor gave me the medication renewal, but his nurse had a phone number I had from five years ago, ironic since she has been calling me on the correct phone number for weeks. Two days on Percocet and I got thru my incredible pain drama. I see my OS this afternoon.
 
Wow! What a ride so far.....
Glad you finally got more meds, and feel better now.
 
Just got back from the OS and had my staples out. My doctor let me know that I should not be so hard on myself, that I could be in some version of pain, and therefore on pain medication, for up to six weeks. He made me feel so much better and suggested I stop comparing myself to other people!

Part of my problem is that my husband has not been very supportive, as he thinks I did this to myself ringing a half marathon two years ago and I am too young for the surgery. Clearly the stress at home is not helping me cope well with the pain. Saying that out loud to you all really helps!
 
@LoyalD, glad your doctor is being supportive and making you feel better. Your body has been through a lot and it just takes time for things to settle down. Also, you are correct in that each persons recovery time and experience is different. Hang in there and come to this forum any time you need to vent. We are here for you!!!!
 
My OS told me today, at my staple removal appointment, that he had to put two screws into my hip because of my shallow acetabulum. He said his colleague using screws all the time, but he just doesn't happen to.

Could the screws be causing me more pain than I anticipated?

Oh, I forgot to let you all know,in get to take a shower and go over to aspirin.
 
Yeah for the shower!!!!! I know I could not wait for one. My OS recommended using Glad's Press & Seal around my incision while taking a shower. It really worked since it stuck to the skin. My OS also used 2 screws and said it made the implant more secure. I do not have any pain related to the use of screws. But then again....everyone is different!!
 
Yep, all different. I'm at Day 16, and was very proud of my progress but today my foot swelled and toes are kinda purple. Yikes, why now? Yes LoyalD, the family tries but no one knows the feeling of 'titanium' until they have their own, right? I have whined plenty and everyone here will listen, pretty cool...
 
Yep, all different. I'm at Day 16, and was very proud of my progress but today my foot swelled and toes are kinda purple. Yikes, why now? Yes LoyalD, the family tries but no one knows the feeling of 'titanium' until they have their own, right? I have whined plenty and everyone here will listen, pretty cool...
I forgot to ask at my OS appointment yesterday about how long to wear the compression sock. I took it off last night and within two hours was hurting from swelling, so it makes me think there is a rule to keep them on? I put the sock back on, swelling better and it feels like my security blanket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom