Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ron's Recovery Thread

Ron, you may want to set your phone for half the amount you want to start with, then turnaround at that mark. I had serious doubts that I could walk even that far and get back home! Now I'm at 45 minutes and hoping to get to an hour when fall weather returns.
 
Congratulations on your great report!
 
Good point, KarriB--better to walk less than you think you can do at first so you can make it home again!
 
Thanks everyone for all the great advice and your experiences I really appreciate it. I know I'm going to have to take it easy and start slow. My right knee, the non operated on one has been enjoying the benefits of the meds I was on post surgery. Now that I have been off those for some time its starting to get pretty sore. Its going to be a bit of a balancing act. I hope to find out in mid November when I can get the right knee done. In the mean time we'll start walking and everything will work out. Thanks again and thanks for the congrats.
 
@Celle Do you know if others are locked out of the forum. This is the only thread I can get into when I log on. This just started this afternoon. I also see this when I log in. I'll see what happens in the morning, thanks.
Knee & Hip Replacement Patient Forum - Oops, something went wrong!
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
 
I'm afraid you're not the only one having problems.
BoneSmart is experiencing several technical glitches following the latest update. The computer techies are working hard at them and hope to have everything fixed in about 24 hours. Until then, please try to be patient.:flwrysmile:
 
Its been a while since I've posted anything, basically because nothing earth shattering has happened. Recovery has moved along well and everything is fine. I had my six month appointment with my OS today. Even that was pretty ho hum. All he did was ask how I was doing and how was the knee feeling. All I could say was that it felt great and I wasn't having any problems with it. The only problem I have now is the other knee. He pulled up my X-rays and said yeah that's a problem. So today I signed the paper work to get the right knee replaced. I just have to wait for the call for a date,which could take a few months. I'm just hoping the sooner the better.

I'm thinking this thread may need a new title
RonL's Recovery Thread or something like that. Please/ Thank you!
 
No news is good news about a tkr! It's encouraging that your new knee is doing so well that it's nothing to talk about! Good luck with your new, upcoming knee replacement. Be sure and let us know when it's happening.
 
Thank you for the good luck wishes. I'm not expecting to hear anything about a date for 3-4 months. The main thing is getting the ball rolling. I'll post a date as soon as I find out.

Thanks for changing the thread title.
 
Ok, so I wasn't expecting to hear anything so soon but, I got the call this past Friday afternoon. I have a date of February 20 2018 for right TKR. I'm looking forward to it as this knee has been acting up pretty good the past few weeks. So that's my news for now.

Ron
 
Time for that new knee! Great that you're on the schedule!
 
Hello, been in my room for 4 hours. Wife finally brought me my phone. Surgery took about 3.5 hours (big bones, big implant small insicion.) Pain level being kept at 0. I know its coming, see what tomorrow brings. All is well.

Ron
 
Hi Ron! It’s good to see you over here on the Recovery side again. I hope this knee comes around as well as your left knee and you can return to life with two good, fully functional knees again. Just keep on top of that pain control, and you know the rest of the drill. :thumb:
 
Welcome back to this side again. 0 pain sounds fantastic! You already know what to do and what not to do! You'll do great!
 
@SusieShoes. Thanks for the encouragement. So far so good, got out of bed on my own this morning. Short trip to washroom and back to bed. Now just waiting for the breakfast surpise.

Ron
 
Wow! Up and out of bed on your own! So glad to hear you’re doing so well!
 
Welcome to your second TKR recovery, Ron.

Here is a repeat of the post-op reading for you:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Wishing you a good night.
 
Back
Top Bottom