TKR ROM-chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, @Josephine, no I didn't necessarily think of it as negative. I'm really not giving it a lot of thought. I went on this form just as a light and easy way for me to get some information and some support on this TKR that's pretty much it! Any "suggestions" anyone may offer are appreciated. Again I'm not using that much brainpower critiquing anything too tired to do it!
 
it's okay - really. I do understand. But sometimes I need some feedback to 'critique' my own comments! :) :wink:
 
I've read several of the articles on ROM- they don't seem to be helping me when my PT is telling me "you've really gotta work on bending that farther". As I'm sure most of you can relate, that feels next to impossible. I know it's going to move further but it's not doing it right now! My surgery was only a little over two weeks ago and has stated in earlier thread, my OS told me once he opened up my knee it "was 10x worse " than he expected it to be. Therefore, the surgery took sm hour longer than he had originally anticipated. My point here is, finding that stressful that I'm expected to move my knee in such a manner that is not doable right now! It can't be one-size-fits-all as far as ROM. Are others dealing with this?
 
That one size fits all approach gives lots of us fits. There's no need to start new threads for new questions or issues--and in fact we want you to only have one recovery thread. It really helps everyone follow your progress so much better.
I'll make a note so one of the moderators will merge this with your recovery thread.
 
Sorry. As usual I do not know how to merge or do any of this stuff. Lucky I can post anything!
 
@tiredwife - the swelling has gone down tremendously. I did talk to my PT again today about how I was feeling re: feeling like I'm not where I'm suppose to be w/ROM. I reiterated to her that my OS had to do a lot more during my surgery etc. She agreed, and as much said to me one size does not fit all of course but the surgeons in the PT's kind of do expect you to be at a certain point at a certain time. I get that they must have to have some kind of range in order to figure out where people are on that scale but........
 
@bumknees09 There can't be a set range, because everyone heals differently. I think they say that just to push you. If it has any swelling at all it will interfere with your ROM.
 
@bumknees09 You may notice that I have merged your two threads.

We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern.

In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Thank you so much.
 
they don't seem to be helping me when my PT is telling me "you've really gotta work on bending that farther"
It's a question of consent. YOUR consent. And the long and short of it is that she can advise and suggest but she cannot insist or rule. If you choose not to comply, she has to go along with that. Don't let her bully you. Just politely say something like "I think I'll pass on that right now, thank you" and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it. Sure she can try to scare you with talk of scar tissue and knees that 'set like concrete never to move again' but we are here to tell you that none of this is true. Be empowered, stand up to her and refuse to be bullied. It's your right and your choice.

You see, it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to heal, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal mobility and stretches are the key to success.
 
Thank you again everyone. I have my follow-up appointment with my OS on Monday be interested to see what he has to say! Thank you for the advice and encouragement.
 
Question: has anyone ever gotten a rash from using an icepack? I have a rash of my leg that appeared today on my thigh on the side and front. Nothing else is different. No new anything. My leg is completely covered by clothing so no extreme cold is touching my skin. I just had the "cold maching" (basically a cooler that pumps ice water through hose onto a band that's goes on my leg with Velcro.) anyway..... It felt super cold so I took it off, pulled up my pant leg and there was the rash again! Very strange. I'm leaving the Coldpack off for the night. I guess if the rash is gone in the morning I have my answer. Has anyone had this happen? Second question, after TKR how long should you be Icing your leg? A week? Two? A month? Thank you
 
@bumknees09 my guess is it got colder than you thought. Add a dishtowel and see if that helps. My hubby is 9 1/2 weeks and still ices occasionally. You ice when you need it, no set time to stop.
 
Second question, after TKR how long should you be Icing your leg? A week? Two? A month?
I iced for about 3 months though it was a lot less by the end.
My leg is completely covered by clothing so no extreme cold is touching my skin. It felt super cold so I took it off, pulled up my pant leg and there was the rash again!
Well quite obviously, your clothes are not sufficient a guard against frost-bite which is what your rash is! Pad it more and reduce layers as you feel the pain-killing effect gets less.
 
I cut off a sweat pant to use for protection from it being to cold. Fits great under the pad.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
@tiredwife @Josephine etc. - once again thank you everyone for replying. Unfortunately I got up this morning and looked up my leg and there's the angry rash still there on the right side of my thigh and on the back in fact it almost looks a little worse.! As I think I stated in earlier post or my last one, I took the ice wrap off last night and have not had a on since. Also, I'm not prone to things like rashes. I never get any kind of skin things like this. Well, until now. Ha! I know have Cortizone cream on it see if that does anything. And I do see my OS tomorrow. Really does not look good but it doesn't bother me at all as far as it feeling irritated or itchy, it doesn't. So I'm thankful for that. FYI, I've always had something between my skin and the ice wrap. Most this past week I had a towel on top of the yoga type pants I've had on, so plenty (I thought) coverage there. Also, keeping in mind this wrap that I have does not have ice in it. It's freezing cold water that's inside the wrap, that's connected to a hose, that's connected to a cooler that has ice in it. The cooler just keeps pumping freezing cold water through the hose into the wrap . Hope I explained that correctly. Thanks
 
I have another question completely off-topic. When you're typing a reply or a new thread or any kind of typing. And you make an error with spelling or whatever. Is there anyway to go directly to that word to correct it? I have found that you have to back up from the complete end of whatever you've typed to get to the word that needs correcting! There must be an easier way. You know, if your texting on your phone or typing on the computer and make an error, you can just go put the cursor on that word and back up that word and change it? How do you do that on this? I could do it before but since the whole thing is been updated I can't. Help please.
 
@bumknees09 Question about the rash. Have you been using anything (ointment, lotion) in that area?

At the bottom of your post (after you post it) you will see a little box with 'edit' in it. that will bring up your post and you can correct what you want.
 
@tiredwife - no, I haven't put anything on my leg at all. No detergent change either. No new soaps. No new anything.
 
I have another question completely off-topic. When you're typing a reply or a new thread or any kind of typing. And you make an error with spelling or whatever. Is there anyway to go directly to that word to correct it? How do you do that on this? I could do it before but since the whole thing is been updated I can't. Help please.
It's a known bug and is being worked on. I suggest you return to Version 2.0 for the time being as lots of us have done. I made this "How to" just for you!
How to change skins - or forum appearance
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom