Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROM-chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. Talk to PT about not pushing so hard. She's agreed. New thing the past two days is the staple area feels like electric shock and zinging pain periodically! Only last a few seconds but oh my lord does it hurt! Anyone dealing or dealt with that? I think my staples are due to come out on Monday! Very much looking forward to that! I know I've said it a lot but thank you all again for the advise and tips! Unless you've had this done, it's hard to even properly discribe the pain etc. Onward......
 
@bumknees09 Hubby had staples for a different surgery and said about 8 or 9 days out it did that to him. He said around the holes it was a little red. It went away after the staples were out. He has stitches this time.
 
@tiredwife - thanks. Hard to know when all these different things happen if it's "normal " or not. The whole thing is very trippy.
 
@bumknees09 Hubby's was when he had one of his knees cleaned up, they had to clean out the bursa sac and had staples.
 
Ok folks - new (today ) concern. Let's talk about pain meds and constipation! I hadn't gone for over a week and then overdid it on the laxatives and spent four hours in the bathroom !!!! Switched from Percocet (which we're making me nauseous anyway)to Vicodin, now have not gone again for three days! Don't mean to bring up such a subject but I cannot be the only one in this boat. I've been taking softeners, MiraLAX, drinking lots of water, and actually eating a pretty good diet. I'm usually pretty regular, now I'm getting nervous that this is going to turn into an issue again. Any tips/suggestions? Thanks
 
Yet another worry (please say I'm not the only one) TKR on left knee, last wed 7/16/14. I believe my OS had to cut the tendon on the right side of my leg (it's also where it was bone on bone) anyway, every time I attempted to bend the new knee, I have such awful pain on the right side where the tendon is, that it seems to be preventing me from bending it more. Swelling has gone down a lot. Very "stiff " feeling, but not painful. I'm hoping the tendon will stretch, loosen, something! Who else's has dealt with this? Or, has everyone? Thanks
 
@bumknees09 Stiffness is very common and stays for awhile. You might want to contact your surgeon about any pain that isn't being controlled by pain meds, although is seems everyone has one area that bothers them more than other areas. Hubby's was on the outside of his left knee.
 
Beginning to wonder if my threshold for pain isn't as high as I thought it was! I will check with my surgeon and PT tomorrow regarding the pain near tendon area. The whole thing us exhausting! Uuuggghhh!
 
Good advice from Tiredwife. This surgery's pain is unlike any other I have had. Make sure you are icing and taking pain meds on schedule. I found i was icing probably 20 hours per day. Even if it doesn't look it you probably have swelling. If you do find yourself still in pain it wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon. I know mine gave the lowest dosage of percoset he could but I could take two if I needed to. For me the first few weeks I always took two every four hours around the clock. Then I was able to cut down. It will get better hang in there and hope you feel better!
 
Thanks again for advise. I have what I think is called a continuous ice machine? The hospital sent it home with me! basically a cooler with a hose type thing attached to it that's attached to ice bag wrapped around my leg, that practically stays on all day and night. The cooler needs to be refilled with ice and water three times a day. It's Awesome! I guess all and all, each days getting a little better. As I stated in an earlier post, you can't really prepare for pain! Hopefully my staples are coming out today I'll find out soon.
 
Most of my early pain was in the form of stiffness. Medication will help with that. You may have swelling you can't see too. It's good that you're using your ice machine.

I know I had an area (outside, almost back of the knee that was tight and hurts when I bend the knee--tendon? Ligament?--I had exactly the same thing on the right knee and it went away eventually, so I knew it would this time too It's almost gone now). You may have an area that is behaving like that for you.

I'll tag @Josephine She may ask you more questions to identify what's going on with you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@keeper - (hope I have a right person) thank you for responding! Much appreciated.
 
WAAAAAA HOO!!! The staples just got taken out!!! Wasn't too bad. More of a pinching sensation. 20 staples. PT took them out and said it looks good. I think it looks disgusting but whatever, their OUT! And to think today was the actual day i was supposed to have my surgery originally.
 
What a great feeling to be done (and have staples out!) on the day you were scheduled for surgery!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I hadn't gone for over a week and then overdid it on the laxatives and spent four hours in the bathroom !!!!
You should read in the Library more - this article was there waiting for you! Don't ever use laxatives for this - very bad karma! Constipation and stool softeners
I believe my OS had to cut the tendon on the right side of my leg so every time I attempted to bend the new knee, I have such awful pain on the right side where the tendon is, that it seems to be preventing me from bending it more.
You believe? What led you to that assumption?

But anyway, you are only 2 weeks out so this is likely to be simply because you are only 2 weeks out!
Swelling has gone down a lot. Very "stiff " feeling, but not painful.
Not painful? I should tell you that swelling and stiffness are forms of pain, along with soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing and aching.

So what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
 
@josphine- yes, I should check the library more. Re: constipation. I couldn't drink more water if I tried, I like a champ. plenty of fiber in my diet. Fruit, veggies. Fish, prune juice etc.... Everyday. Also, I'm moving around as much as I can (2 wks out as of tomorrow from TKR) I'm guessing it's a pain pills. Just not wanting to end up going to the hospital to get disimpacted I think it's called? If it's between that and me using an enema and/or laxatives? I do believe I'll be using an enema or taking laxatives if need be. (Had to do it a couple of times in the past and it was completely fine. I just did it and that was the beginning middle and end of that !) I'm usually like clockwork, so Six days later and nothing has me a little taken aback to put it mildly

Re: my "assumption" that my OS cut a tendon? Misspoke, my "assumption" came in because that's what he told me!

Trying my best to move thru all this. Hoping this forum will continue to provide the help that it has been so far. I certainly don't want to have to critique every single word that I type on here. Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing it's a pain pills
Of course it is! Did you read the article I left you? I'm told the recipe for 'power pudding' is very effective!
I certainly don't want to have to critique every single word that I type on here
Honey, I asked you to clarify ONE word! Did you find that a negative thing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom