Guest viewing is limited

Rolling over on hard floors? Any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful thought process goes into it. Read the thread about kneeling. My hospital PT showed me one way and then I figured out further things I could do to get up and down from the floor easily.
 
Well, that was my concern. The 90 degree rule is one thing but getting down onto the floor and then up again at 6 weeks really is risky. And a person 6 weeks out from major surgery shouldn't be doing laundry, cooking, walking or taking care of children and dogs. Well not to that degree anyway.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you're discharged from hospital TO recover, not because you are recovered! Recovery - of you and of your hip - takes more than six weeks.

But okay Duane - I apologise for my outburst. I am sure you took it carefully and didn't take any undue risks.

However - back to the popping - it probably was a 'near dislocation' because rolling onto one's side with the surgery leg on top puts you in the right position for that.

As you can see here, an externally rotated leg would be risky for an anterior approach.

[Bonesmart.org] Rolling over on hard floors? Any issues?


And similarly in this image (sorry it's so small) - though the right leg isn't violating the 90 degree rule, it is greatly internally rotated and would be at risk for a posterior approach.

[Bonesmart.org] Rolling over on hard floors? Any issues?


I would suggest that either position could be inadvertently adopted when one is engrossed in attempting to connect a Blueray player! :wink1: :snork:
 
Jo, your thoughtful help is really appreciated. Showing pics of what is risky is really good as well. I understand that some OS absolutely forbid all kinds of things for their patients. That was not the case with my OS and my situation. However, if someone is trying to not violate all the "rules" which I truly think make sense, btw, that person can still get up and down from the floor without a whole lot of risk--as long as that person is someone who is used to getting up and down from the floor BEFORE the surgery. I think you can pretty easily do all the stuff that you were doing directly before surgery (as long as you're not violating the rules!) but that it's likely foolhardy to do things that you didn't do easily/readily right before surgery.

Best to all,
 
Thanks for the explanation as to how you negotiate getting up and down from floor level. Obviously it is working for you and I'm glad. I think I'd still recommend that folks not try this stuff for the first 6 weeks just to be safe. But.....I do have to say, I tend toward the conservative side to try and protect people from potential problems.
 
Like HippyGal, I was able to get up and down from the floor before six weeks post-op. However, also like HippyGal, this was approved by my surgeon and I had instruction from my PT on how to do this safely.

In general, however, I'm inclined to agree with Jamie that these moves may be risky. If your surgeon or another qualified person who is familiar with your particular case has not agreed that you are ready for it, I'd probably hold off.
 
I am bad I am doing everything I shouldn't do but I am afraid of the floor. Afraid I wont be able to get back up :th_heehee: Well I shouldn't say I shouldn't because I was told I could but I am probably do more then I should. 99.9% of the cleaning and cooking is done by me. I cook at least twice a day. Lifting I really wont do but I have. Put my sons bike in the car a few times but I wont take out the garbage.
 
I see in the pictures what your talking about. It is very hard when I have no pain to think about these restrictions. I have not even taken Tylenol in over a week. I feel a little discomfort in the middle to upper thigh after a lot of time on my feet. I think thats my femur telling me to slow down. I will be 6 weeks on tues 7-22. Do some people get there restrictions lifted at 6 weeks for posterior approach?

Duane
 
Yes, six weeks is pretty much the average time when restrictions are lifted.
 
Oh geeze, I didn't mean to sound like I was dumping on anybody :blush:. I apologize if it was taken that way. I was just being concerned for your safety. I really didn't mean to start a issue here.

Hippy Gal, I trully am happy that you and Duane are recovering so quickly and are doing all that you are. All the best to you, really :thumb:!

Do take care.
 


[Bonesmart.org] Rolling over on hard floors? Any issues?


I would suggest that either position could be inadvertently adopted when one is engrossed in attempting to connect a Blueray player! :wink1: :snork:


I been sleeping like that girl in the picture? I know I am off restrictions but should I still avoid it:scratch: I can not sleep with my knees together and a pillow is out of the question. One other question would tylenol PM's be ok that take? I am thinking I would have to call my surgeon on Monday and ask. If I can take those I can avoid taking my night med and I would only take one in the morning unless I have physical therapy. I take one before that. They can be a little rough.
 
I don't see any reason why you couldn't take Tylenol PM at bedtime instead of prescription pain meds if it works for you.
 
:th_heehee: I won't touch that one, about the crossed leg with no pillow I mean...:hate-shocked:. Not at a month, but again, just me being overly cautious.

I am sixteen months now and still sleep with a pillow between my legs but only because I got used to it and it feels better that way...:secretaea:
 
lol......It is difficult Jamie. But it is possible.....I had Bruce watch me very closely.....I needed to get on the floor at the 4 week mark to get onto a yoga mat to do my physio...the bed wasn't cutting it. And he was quite adamant that I was not breaking the 90 degree rule........

but then again......I am a very short little ****.....perhaps that makes it easier to get to the floor. You know......what with the butt being built closer to the curb and all.
 
:th_heehee: I won't touch that one, about the crossed leg with no pillow I mean...:hate-shocked:. Not at a month, but again, just me being overly cautious.

I am sixteen months now and still sleep with a pillow between my legs but only because I got used to it and it feels better that way...:secretaea:

I couldn't stand the pillow.. Made me insane. I still am looking for a comfortable position. Takes me up to two hours to fall alseep. I do not know but my physical therapist said they must have cemented it to be off restrictions so early. I am really all over the place just have a terrible limp :tantrum2:
 
Christina, I sleep in that position too and have ever since I came off the restrictions. I had trouble sleeping with that pillow there and I would wake up really uncomfortable in the morning.

Anyway, I understand that your OS has lifted your restrictions and he surely knows what's best for your situation. :thumb:
 
My question too Jamie! I had several instances during my restrictions where I just had to wait to do things.

HippyGal, how you handle your restrictions is of course a personal choice. However since six weeks is a very short time in a lifetime - why risk ruining a good result? Six weeks of caution for a lifetime of pain free life. A very small price to pay in my opinion!
 
I been sleeping like that girl in the picture? I know I am off restrictions but should I still avoid it:scratch: I can not sleep with my knees together and a pillow is out of the question.
Well, I wouldn't recommend it before several weeks, never mind 6. I remember Jak who was several months when he rolled over in bed and dislocated. It's one of those issues without a hard and fast answer, I'm afraid.
 
I am sixteen months now and still sleep with a pillow between my legs but only because I got used to it and it feels better that way...:secretaea:

I just gave up my pillow not that long ago and have to say I miss it but the her indoors kept asking why I needed the pillow as surely I masut be passed that stage by now. :blush:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom