Guest viewing is limited

THR Almost a year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haldox

post-grad
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Location
United States
Gender
Female
Hello all! Its been almost a year since LTHR and I am still thrilled about it. I have absolutely no problems with my L hip and it still feels like a natural part of me.

But I am not so thrilled about whats been going on with my right hip and again with my lower back. I had wrote a few months ago about my right hip making those "clicking" sounds and RLS in that leg. So far the RLS has been very far and few between, the clicking is about every time I stand from sitting,etc. The muscles are much tighter around the hip now and my back is not liking it one bit. I have also lost energy again, it was soo nice to finally have it back while it lasted though.

I was hoping that the R hip was still just adjusting but I am more sure the R hip is wanting to be more like the L hip and have some shiny new hardware!

I have been slightly preparing myself for this, again so far nothing is written in stone but I will not hesitate to get the THR!! It is to me still a miracle surgery!!

I see my OS Oct. 20th for my 1 year follow up and also to have the R hip examined.

My husband was talking to his PT about my hips and he said during his career hes noticed about 9 out of 10 will need the other hip replaced as well.


On another happier note-My 10 yo daughter was having hip,knee and then moved to ankle/foot problems for a couple weeks. I immediately made an appt with a pediatric ortho to get xrays, especially of the hip since I have/had possible hip dysplasia. Everything came out all good with the hip,etc but she has slight flat foot so she now has inserts in her shoes. But was a big sigh of relief that her hips are all good!!!
 
Hi haldox
So encouraging to hear how happy you are with your new hip and sorry to hear the other one is playing up. I've already been told my other one will need doing,but perhaps not for a year or so. You must be so relieved that your daughter's problem has turned out to be a minor one- funny isn't it, we can cope with things happening to ourselves but if it's something affecting our children it's a million times worse!
Hope you get good news on 20th :thumb:
Best wishes
 
Welcome back Haldox! Glad things turned out so well for your daughter. You know, if I hadn't gone thru the horrid problems that I had with my THR, I wouldn't hesitate on having the other done after all the great success stories I have read on here.

I am still thinking of another revision to fix my" still not done properly" first one. It's just a matter of getting some other issues cleared up and then finding the courage to do it.

Yours has been a picture perfect recovery so when the time comes just do it! Why suffer? Look at how well you have tolerated this one! I wish you all the best Haldox. Please keep us updated :thumb:!
 
Hi Haldox
Glad to hear you'r so pleased with your RTHR - I can highly recommend having both done, so pleased with both my nice new hips! Feel reborn most of the time! :dancy:

Pleased too about your daughters diagnosis - its amazing how something so simple as an insert in a shoe can realign all your posture & ease pain so quickly. I work in the NHS & deal with Podiatry depts (foot clinics) & we come across this all the time. :thumb:

Good luck with your other hip when the time comes!
 
Hallo, Haldox,

Delighted to hear you are almost forgetting about the treatment of nearly a year ago. Not so delighted that you seem to be in line for another bout of surgery on the other one. And your daughter. I agree that there is no personal agony to match the pain of watching a son or daughter suffer. I hope everything continues to go well for you and all of yours.

As somebody who is young enough to be my granddaughter, you do well to find the courage to put up with the bad things that have been happening to you. With me, I've had a full and active life so far and it's not to be wondered at if a few parts start to wear out and fall off. My recovery sounds slightly slower than yours but I would maybe put that down to my age.

All the best, Alan
 
Haldox....so sorry to hear your other hip is giving you fits. It does happen that way a lot of the time. Guess you'll need to think about having it checked out to know for sure whether it's going to need replacing. Please let us know how you're doing. Yours is such a great success story!
 
Thank you lovely BoneSmarties for the wonderful words of encouragement and best wishes for myself and my daughter!! I love you guys:friends:

I forgot to mention that I have better ROM in my LTHR than my R natural hip now!! Again -to me its a miracle!!

The inserts have completely done a 180 for my daughter! And they only cost 50$ at the Dr Sholls custom fit foot mapping in stores. The ortho recommended this since his patients have a good outcome with them and you dont have to deal with going through insurance , which typically can cost a lot more than 50$.

Anne-no one has ever mentioned my R hip, I think they were all just to shocked to see how bad the L hip had gotten LOL But the 20th is getting closer, I do look forward to showing off my awesome L hip to the OS though!

Janet-I agree completely and really do hope you can get your things in order and find a solution to your THR problems. You deserve it!!

Sharon-Thank you for the positive words on the Bilat THRs. Part of me hopes I dont need the R done but I sure dont want to go through what I did with my L hip pre THR.
 
Haldox, I just can't believe it's almost a year already! So glad you are enjoying your new hip. But sorry about the right side and your back.

Don't put things off too long like I did. You are young and deserve to get on with fun stuff - not pain.

Please do keep us updated. We are here for #2 when the time comes!
 
Hey girly..

Isn't funny how time just flys by once things start goin well on the road to recovery??. But before it just dragged like the thickest of molasses. Lol. It's so good to hear about the best that life has to offer now from you. Aside from the right hip bein naughty.

You let us know how things go at your next appointment.
Thinkin bout you.
Nadine.
 
Appt with OS went as expected-LTHR is looking wonderful still and my R hip will need a THR. Got some bone spurs and (cant remember the clinical name??) some bumpiness on the bone. Right leg feels shorter now and they said it would be ok to get a small lift to wear until the op.

OS said I could get a hip arthroscopy and buy some time before getting the THR but I think I will choose door #2 and just get the THR.

I will be calling to schedule tomorrow and will be having surgery in Feb. or March 2012.

So looks like you guys arent rid of me yet!!!!:snork:
 
Haldox, so glad you are back with us. Sorry you have to have another op but you know the results will be great.

I agree I would just go for the THR. One op and it's done. Sorry you have to wait so long. Hang in there!
 
Hi Haldox, great news about the new hip. :yes 4:
I'm sure the second one will go just as well. I'll be doing the same but don't as yet having anything scheduled as although I have the bone spurs, touch wood the hip is holding up. Very best of luck, I'll follow your progress with interest. :thumb:
 
The nurse had told me that the tolerance for the other hip acting up becomes very small once you know there is a fix for it and I couldnt agree more!!

It does just seem it came on sooo fast but it really is mirroring how the left hip felt pre op, except this right one wont get so bad!

Ive been taking quite a bit of Ibuprofen but its not doing its work like it used to. OS recommended 2 Aleve 2xdaily, so well see how that works. My stomach cant handle the stronger prescribed anti-inflammatories.
 
No I can't take anti inflammatories in any shape or form so just stick with the good old painkillers and intravenous gin - joking! :th_heehee:
 
Anne-LOL Ya sounds good to me !!:biggrin:

I got my date!!! January 6th 2012!!! Planning again to come home the same day. Whats nice about this time around is I can tailor my meds more, like with the anti nausea meds, this time Im gonna try Zofran. Also some different anti inflammatory's Also I have everything still, stockings, raised seat,grabber,etc.
 
Hi Haldox


Just in for a wee peek and great to hear your left hip has been fine, I to was advised when getting the right hip done that my left was shot and would need done also in the near future.
I have had a sore knee lately nothing serious but It's ok today and has been for the last few days. I have an appointment for around feb- march next year and suspect i might get the call as well.
I am coping quite well just now so don't really want to linger on it and i will cross that bridge when it comes.

Billy
 
Great news on the date for #2 Haldox. At least it's not too long a wait. You'll have a post holiday celebration with 2 new hips!
 
Excellent news Haldox - you can have a fun Christmas and New Year before popping in for the other hip! Very best of luck :thumb:
 
Great news - have you seen the other recent posts about 2nd THRs especially Dave - it seems that once you have been through the experience once and know what to expect, the second comes a bit more smoooothly.
I've been trying to get my raised seats and associated furniture collected for about 3 weeks now. I did ceremoniously burn the stockings though! :th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom