Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roller Coaster of Emotions Continues . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lori107 I think it depends on how much energy you feel you have. Six months? How energetic is the dog? I jinx a dog is a great idea. And like @Phil75070 said if it'll help you feel better go for it!
~hopefaith
 
My 3 cents would be it depends on the breed. Se breeds are highly active and might be too much to handle. I would suggest a trip to the humane society to meet some adoptable dogs. :)
 
I am having the most awful trouble reducing the oxynorm. It is giving me horrendous anxiety attacks when I try to come down a dose. On Monday I wanted a dog, about 6 months old, my hubby took a bit of persuading but agreed. On Tuedsdayi had knocked 10mg off my 40mg dose, was OK to begin with. That night I had nothing but puppy thoughts going through my head all night,, round and round. on Wednesday I found an 11 week old puppy for sale. I was going mad by this point, I could not focus on anything other than getting a puppy. I convinced hubby that I was managing fine (I wasn't though). He reluctantly agreed to get her. I made arrangements for him and my daughter to get her as it was too far for me to travel. However, once this was arranged I was racked with panic and indecision. I felt like my brain was going to explode. I couldn't cope with the overwhelming fear of what I had agreed to. I had a complete breakdown in front of hubby and the kids. I told them I was trying to come off these drugs and that they were messing with my brain in such a way that I could not cope. I sat down with hubby and made the decision that I was not really thinking rationally at the moment and that although I wanted one I am not well enough yet. I kid myself that I can now do anything yet I go out for lunch for a couple of hours and then came back and fell asleep for four hours. We go away in 10 weeks time on our cruise and I want to be as fit as possible for that. I am fed up with going to physio, it's quite a way for me to so hubby has to take me and I feel now I just need time to recover. I am 13 weeks post op and still have an awful lot of swelling and still a lot of pain when I stand for too long which is frustrating. I think the drugs I already take for my back pain and nerve damage are interfering with the oxynorm which is making them much harder to come off of. I also have to stop and think with getting a puppy that it is not just my knee that causes me pain, it's the spinal fusion as well. I have decided to give myself a year to get well before I consider getting one. I am not as well as I make out to people. I keep thinking I should be doing much more by now but looking at the graph on recovery I still have a fair way to go.
 
Well, I've managed to come down 10mg out of 40mg so far. That is by cutting 2nd and 3rd doses in half. This seems to be about as low as I can get at the moment and I am concerned that I am still finding the pain really grim after standing or walking on it for too long. I am 13 weeks post op, due for my 12 week check up tomorrow and boy! Is it a long road!! I thought I was well prepared for surgery as I have had many ops including a double fusion but nothing prepared me for this, except maybe this forum. The swelling is still persisting, with that tight band feeling. My operated knee is still 2inches bigger than the other one. I am trying to get back to 'normal' and although I was walking without my stick I am starting to get a pesky limp as i try to move faster so I think I may have to use the stick again and walk more accurately. I am getting so annoyed with the super sharp pain on the inside of my knee when I walk for more than 15-20 minutes, which stops me in my tracks. Has anyone else had this pain. I still ice several times a day for long periods of time but the swelling doesn't budge. I no longer have pt, they don't really use it much in the UK for tkrs but I do all the exercises I have been given, including the exercise bike where some days I can make full rotations and other days it just won't play ball with my request. The one thing I didn't lose sadly was my appetite and kept my calorie intake down a couple of days a week so as not to pile on too much. I have put on 5lb in 13 weeks which I guess isn't too horrific in the grand scheme of things. I long to go back to my fitness class again but having gone back for the first time again today I realize I have a way to go yet before I am capable of these exercises. I still find it very difficult to walk upstairs one foot in front of the other, and as for going down, absolutely not happening. I think it could be to do with the tightness. Some times I can manage up the stairs but have never managed a down yet. Someone recommended walking backwards down the stairs but hubby nearly had heart failure when I mentioned this. Anyone nearing my sort op post op time or past that time that can offer guidance? I still also find it very painful to sit with my leg down for longer than about 40 minutes so I elevate my leg when I do go out and have to sit. I have to say that I'm really glad I decided not to get a puppy just yet. I have had some pretty rough days when I have just had to throw in the towel that day and give up and completely rest.
 
Yes, better to keep the cane for a while and work on your gait.
 
Hi All,

I haven't posted on here for a while but I wanted to get some advice if possible. I am 7 and a half months post op now and have been getting on with life. I have thrown myself back into my social life, joined a choir, and will be singing a solo in our debut concert in a few weeks time. But that is not why I am posting. I am able to bend my knee to a certain amount but can't lift it high enough to wash my foot, I use the exercise bike, walk reasonably but I have still got a lot of swelling. My left knee is over an inch bigger than my right. It still really hurts when I bend it (pain behind the knee I think.) I was signed off of physio before our cruise in august but I keep worrying why I still have pain standing for a long time and why it is still so swollen. Am I worrying unnecessarily, am I being impatient. My surgeon told me when I saw him at the beginning of August that I have to allow 12-18 months to get over this operation completely. I am going back to work in January which I am looking forward to and I know I am fine to cope with it so that doesn't worry me but I keep wondering if I should be doing more to improve my fitness. Do you think I should have more physio or am I doing everything right and just continue getting on with life and just wait over time for continued healing to occur. Oh, and I decided against a dog at present until it is the right time for me.
 
I think you're on the right path getting back to the things you love.

Sometimes the best healing comes when we stop trying to make things heal. At six months I took a "knee-cation" – no PT, just living life and doing things. I gained 20 degrees in flexion and stopped thinking "knee" all day every day. Even this year (my fourth year of bionic knee), I found I was able to get out of a kayak easier (more strength with knees full flexed). My advice is just live an active life and let nature take care of things . . . with some bike riding or straight leg lifts from time to time to strengthen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that your knee may still need ice if you have had a busy day.

I agree with maryo52 - just get on with life, do what you can, and give your knee more time.
 
Hi Lori
like you I'm 7 months plus after rtkr.
I went back to work after 6 weeks, didn't have a choice.Like you didn't have much pt , when I tried the bike I couldn't get a full rotatation, still can't.I still go up and down stairs like you, on step at a time.At work I have a flight of 25 stairs to go up and down, several times a day. I can manage up properly as the height of the step is only 5 " high, but NO way can I bend the knee to come down without extreme pain, so I don't. I don't like the pain !!!! Lol.
I have also been back to see my surgeon, I got the impression I was bsing too impatient , he said the same give it 12 to 18 months at least. So keep doing what you are doing, and time will be the healer.Patience is a virtue so be a patient patient !! Stop beating yourself up, only you know what is comfortable to do, so don't over do it.
Anne
 
My surgeon told me when I saw him at the beginning of August that I have to allow 12-18 months to get over this operation completely.
And he is correct---some folks still may take upwards to a year or more to full heal---I took eight months to get to 90%-95%---and then I gained more in tiny increments.
Do you think I should have more physio or am I doing everything right and just continue getting on with life and just wait over time for continued healing to occur.
I agree with the others---let life be your PT---it is what you had the TKR for, and simply living your life will help you get there.
Don't forget that your knee may still need ice if you have had a busy day.
:iagree:There is still time to ice---and to elevate as needed.

Hang in there, be patient, and understand that you will get there---it just may take a little more time, that's all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're all so wonderful. I have no advice to give and nothing to contribute. It is just so nice sometimes to read that we all struggle with some of the same issues and concerns on our separate healing journeys. Makes me feel less alone.

@lori107 , I know how you feel about dogs. Sometimes I find myself looking thru ads and rescue sites even though I'm nowhere near ready for another dog. My favorite breed is the smooth collie, but they're very hard to find here in California. Someday, when the time is right, we will both have our dogs. ♡
 
Hi @lori107 So nice to see you posting and great to hear from you. You are doing great it all takes time and it you are doing great with what you are doing. It is wonderful you are getting back to doing things you enjoy and join a choir and what an honor to be singing a solo you must be really good at your singing. You are not a year out yet mine took longer then that to feel like it does as now very seldom think about it not being my original knee. It takes me places that were so much harder to go to before surgery and although my right knee never gained the amount of flex many knees did mine is very strong and does what ever almost everything I need and so much more then it had for a long time.

I will be two years since surgery in April on the 26th next spring never managed full rotation on the exercise bike at pt too swollen and had rode a bike at home out doing things before this with no problem. I think I could do it now have not tried but so happy I had this surgery not at first but now really happy.

It takes longer sometimes then we want when I asked how long why is it not feeling better and will it get better my surgeon , family doctor and bone smart friends all said it will get better and it has just takes time.

My knee remembering back was still swollen and could be sore felt tight, and standing in one place was hard sitting too long made it tight, and even now when standing too long in a line up I can't wait to find a seat and sit down still can get tired standing too much My surgeon recommended the best thing you can do to keep moving is walking gentle walks do not push your self past what your knee wants to do. A chance to have a little fresh air see things on your way, natural way of moving relieves a bit of stress if needed and before you know it you have had a nice little walk and feeling good that you have made your way along your walk and found walking took my mind off of the things I thought I was not managing as well as I thought I should have. You will know when it is time to find yourself a nice dog and by this time you will have a chance to go together for your walks comfortable and enjoying them even more.

I am now waiting for my next knee replacement and just as it is scheduled for December 22nd this is coming up quick counting down the days now at 34 more days left to go. The pain that I had during my recovery time was pretty intense forget now just how much it hurt time has a way of helping you with this, wondering at the time will it get easier, wondering if I would drive again, thinking maybe not as so much to deal with over whelming at the time people telling you you should be moving quicker, my husband and surgeon family doctor, and so many others told me that I was doing just right just be kind to yourself and go at your own pace, when the time for doing what you are missing doing comes you will be just fine. Just takes time not really that long since your poor knee was put through all that it was and surgery so much you have accomplished in just over 7 months.

I am ready my husband brought home a bath bench he purchased for me just needing to be put together, walkers all set to roll, hoping to be home by Christmas day but if not my husband and brother will be seeing me in the hospital waiting till the day to come home they will pick me up take me home arrange for my pain medication, and then time to take it slow do it at my own pace this time no painful pt this time surgeon has assured me of this knowing this time around from the start it does get better, being more patient with the pace of recovery these are my goals. Then wait till the weather gets nice snow melts and back to our park for our lovely walks something to look forward to anxious to have two strong knees again.

You will be fine and wishing you all of the best and hoping you enjoy your choir and how much pleasure your solo will bring to those who hear you sing. Holly
 
Thanks @MotownGirl66 looking at your post I noticed you have managed 2 hip surgeries and that take someone who is strong and a knee replacement to . It takes special people to make it through these surgeries and we who go through them are very strong not everyone could do this. Wishing you a smooth recovery on your right knee to and all the best when you have your left knee looked at all the best to you Holly
 
Hi @lori107 How are you doing. Hope things are going easier and wishing you the best. Looking back think how far you have come you will be amazed at just how many things you have accomplished every time you look at you have done amazingly well. Holly
 
@lavender Thank you for your kind words! My surgeries came very quickly - especially the back fusion which was not expected. The two hip replacements were a walk in the park compared to this stupid knee replacement. Good luck with your December surgery and I look forward to reading your future posts for inspiration.

Robyn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom