TKR Roller Coaster of Emotions Continues . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tykey, I managed to get 90° a few days until they put the negative pressure pico dressing on and since then I can make about 70° I think. I do see a physio regularly who looks after my back but I don't think I could face lying on my stomach FCC o rt physio at the moment. My consultant didn't seem too worried when I told him I was getting a reduction in bend since the dressing went on, so maybe I shouldn't be either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
:tada::console2:I agree with Tykey she is so right about physio. I think if I could have come home and not had to deal with the extreme tactis of the physio that I had to deal with I would haved found it so much easier. When I came home my brother and his family invited us to have supper with them. He me my husband at the hospital and he took us to their home in our car which is easy to get in and out of. Never thougght after having supper climbing the few stairs up and down to the car that my feeling would change. I came home the first night and we decided to sleep on our couches the first night to save doing the stairs. No physio till the second day home and that was when I started to have the feeling that I would not make it but I did. The bend was expected at the very beginning . I left the hospital with a 85 degree bend and the surgeon was pleased. But the physio that I had threatened if I could not increase it right away the doctor would probably suggest the need for manipulation. I then concentrated on doing my exercises more then I should have very swollen leg and worried about how she would handle me. Very aggressive. I later found out that my surgeon does not agree with these tactics. My bend decreased to 45 so sore couldn't handle the visits from them anymore. Then found bonesmart they told me it was ok to tell the physio when enough was enough and not let anyone hurt me. My surgeon soon cancelled all physio and suggested massage really positive guy and so much positive results. My surgeon has told me that the next time around this will not happen and I will not let them again. I hope you keep getting better and as bonesmart says do not let anyone you. Still believe the best part of recovery is the positive surroundings and support and as far as housework I felt the same so much guilt had never had surgery so this was strange. I wish you lots of comfort and hope that you do not let anyone push you as they say it will all come together and you will be feeling great sooner then you think. Holly
 
Hi I love the British take on this surgery and physio makes so much sence. Holly
 
Had a much better day yesterday. Did some retail therapy online and a friend who I hadn't seen for months popped in to see me. Off to Stanmore today to hopefully have the clips and pressure dressing removed. Thanks for all the messages of support. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @lori107 Nice to hear you are feeling better. I found my leg felt so much better after the staples were removed. Hope things just keep getting better for you Holly
 
Hi Holly,, Not posted for a week or so so wanted to drop in to say to hi to your all, @lavender, @Tykey. Having good days and not so good days. Finally got rid of the pico dressing, hooray but still have inodoine and Opsite dressings on. Blisters are slowly going down, can't believe how long they are taking though. Getting around with two crutches still as I don't feel confident with using only one yet. Am now on day 24. I still feel so tired but I am pottering around doing bits and pieces. Cleaned the bathroom yesterday and did a bit of washing up. One of my dear friends came to visit which was lovely but I fell asleep for 2 hours after she had gone. Today hubby bought me a surprise Easter present, another charm for the Pandora bracelet he gave me for my birthday at Xmas. Feeling better about things at the moment. Keep getting times during the day when i start to feel really ratty about things not getting done but having to learn to live with the house not being how I want it to be as I have no control over things I can't do anything about. Still having so much trouble sleeping at night. My back has started complaining that it is really not enjoying being slept on every night and using crutches. I did try to follow the advice of @Karringtyn with regards to sleeping on my side but after almost an hour of moving from one side to another with extra pillows I got myself in a world of pain and had to take an extra oxynorm so I could get some sleep. Maybe that's why I'm so tired during the day. Can now do the stairs twice a day so that's a bit of progress although I think I was so desperate to go back to bed for a couple of hours I was determined to make it. Happy Easter friends

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @lori107:hi: It is so nice to hear from you and so nice you are doing ok. It must have made you feel really nice to have your gift from your husband very thoughtful and a nice thing for you the Pandora bracelets are so pretty and wonderful to make you feel how much you are really cared about and loved. I think you are doing really great . I had the same feeling about cleaning and thinking that I should be doing more. I felt guilty about not driving as cabs costed so much and thought I should be getting back to normal quicker then I was. It is perfectly normal and know from my recovery that being so tired and having problems getting comfortable and not being patient enough with myself made me frustrated. The cleaning can wait as I soon figuired out you need time for your sleep and to just relax and just go by what your knee is saying. I listened to others before finding bonesmart. The common idea from those who have not had this surgery is that with a new knee all should be fine and many do not understand how a replacement knee should hurt after all they say the old knee is gone and how could a brand new one give you any problems. I sleep on my side and did not enjoy the back sleeping found my nights difficult just got comfortable and back to the bathroom so we put a commode next to our bed so saved on the walking at night. I tried to vaccum one day when my husband went out to get groceries and sitting on my walker tried to grab it from the stiairway with a grabber had it figured out knew he would say relax rest it is ok. I tried do some but then back on the couch out not ready yet. I did not hide the evidence too well he knew when he came home and then he took over.I had lots of help he did everything and so thankful now for that. The best thing you can do is be easy on yourself and proud that you made it through this . I speak from experience you will be fine, as time passes you will feel better things will get easier when you add up what you have accomplished since surgery it will amaze you a big adjustment . Next surgery I will do it differently not letting anyone make me feel bad about how I am doing and with the wonderful kind help bonesmart friends have shared my year of recovery I will do it my way. Wishing you the best and hope you have a wonderful sleep. Holly:wave::friends:
 
Hi lori I forget to mention that on the idea of not using walking aides it took a while before I stopped using my walker. Loaded it into the car for park walks more stable then just walking safer on the grass and felt more secure afraid of triping on tree roots do what makes you feel comfortable. . After a while starting to go out with my cane with the option of holding my husbands arm for more secure feeling. Started driving but not till 8 weeks and only because I asked told surgeon no longer going to spend all of that money on cabs as this was the only time I got out to see things other then going to medical appointments . He wrote it down as my to do list to do was yes you can drive. Felt strange at first I felt a little leary but it was the best for me got out and felt more part of life. I no longer use a cane but did up till New Years but as said my husband is nearby to grab me if I get shaky. Do not let anyone decide when you should walk free hand as it is your choice. and nothing is wrong with walking with help. Just a few more things that helped me and hope all is great for you. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking I should be further on in my recovery.

My dear @lori107, you are barely a month post op---very, very early days in this recovery. Do yourself a favor and don't expect too much too soon; it will only frustrate you. Just take one day at a time, make a note of all the little milestones as you pass them, and follow the BoneSmart mantras.

Keep in mind that it takes about three months to feel that "normal" may be possible, 6 months to know that "normal" is possible, and at least 12 months to be "normal". It seems like a very long time frame---but consider how long it took for your knee to get to the point of needing to be replaced---then recovery really isn't so long after all.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Well I had my first physio session today and I'm rather proud of myself. I am just over 5 weeks now and was able to get to 95 bend and although I'm not sure of the measurement she was really pleased how much I could straighten it on the bed considering how swollen it still is. I've been on the exercise bike and when she measured again I could get to 105 bend. Can now walk with one crutch indoors and two outside. Have another physio in two weeks time. She didn't do anything to hurt me and said it was counterproductive to push the knee too hard. Hallelujah!! Hope you are getting on well @Mai5ie. Your post @alija was really heartening that things will get easier. Fabulous news about your son's wedding and your scar. Mine is certainly in no condition to show off to people . Am in no rush to cut down on my painkillers yet though and she was quite happy with this. <br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk<br/>

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
:curtsey:Hi@lori107:wave: So great to hear that things are going so well for you and it has been 5 weeks already. Nice that you have a gentle pt and that your bend is getting better.:wowspring: You are well on your way and sounds like you are doing really well. Nice weather is coming and before you know it the days of surgery and the pain that goes along with it will be a thing of the past.:cool: I have just past my one year anniversary and although the start was a little rough the ending is so much better then anticipated. Hope things just keep getting better for you and looking back over your 5 weeks sure you can see how far you have come. Have a great day Holly:flwrysmile:
 
Lori - great progress! You are on your way to a much improved life! You will cut down on pain meds when your body is ready and doesn't need them. Each month just gets better.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Karringtyn, great news that you are doing so well. Hi @lavender, Holly :). I had my 6 week check with consultant today and he was pleasantly surprised at how well I can bend and straighten my knee. Am still on the strong painkillers which he said is fine and have to back again in six weeks. Knee still feeling really stiff especially when I wake up in the morning. Can now do full rotations on the exercise bike after just half ones the week before. Lots of swelling still which he said can go on for months, told me to keep icing, elevating and pottering about. I am still feeling so tired after I do very much and not sleeping too well at night either. Is this all about right for 6 weeks do you think?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 As far as the fatigue and not sleeping well, I can tell you, going on 8 weeks that I still experience that although the heavy pain meds can usually get me about 5 hours of sleep. Last night I tried to go just with Tylenol and tossed, turned, ached and could not get comfortable so I gave in and took a hydrocodone and slept the usual 5 hours or so.

Feeling tired? I don't know how I get through an hour of PT twice a week as I have to sit down after shaving and brushing my teeth in the morning! MY OS keeps telling me full recovery is one year and both of us are really just started down that long road. The progress may be small but I do believe it gets better week by week.
 
@Phil75070, oh dear, looks like there is still a long way to go. At least I know I seem to be no different to anyone else. I also sit down and clean my teeth and shower using a stool. I only one hour of physio therapy once a fortnight although I do complete my list of exercises daily, sometimes twice a day. Good to know that you are getting on well with your recovery. I'm just waking up again after falling asleep after my long trip to the hospital today. Take care x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Hi lori It is great to hear you are doing well and sounds like you are coming along really nice. I had difficulty when trying to use the bike used to ride my bike so much only a few years ago but that excersize I found hard not alot of bend . It seems like you it will go one forever this way but you will be so surprised when you look back and how much you have improved. I remember being tired all the time to everything seemed to make me feel tired even climbing the stairs but not now. Great that your bend and straightening your leg are doing so wonderful and you should be proud of how far you have come. My leg was still very swollen at the same stage you are at and felt like a log with cement in it so heavy but that goes away as time goes and it will not stay this way forever. I was still on the pain pills as well and worried that this was going to be the way life would be .But you will see that you are well along your way to feeling so much better. I was so anxious to start driving again and felt like I was walking on air the day the surgeon told me he thought it would be ok. This was at 8 weeks and that was when I started to feel more like me. It seems like it will be along time but looking back over my past year time actually went fast not at the time but it did. Walking will get easier and the memory of the pain and emotional moments (i felt at the time that all I did was cry) will be turned into moments of the enjoyment that having a new knee and the freedom it will give you will bring. I also had problems sleeping getting comfortable and when I did back to the bathroom not sure where to put my leg . I have still a 90 degree bend does what I need my surgeon is happy with how I have handled this and managed and so happy to have it in the past now . You will make it through with flying colours and the quality of walking will be well worth it in the end. Wishing you a wonderful week and hope the pain stays away. Best wishes Holly:friends:
 
Oh I thought I was doing so well but today I just hurt, hurt, hurt. This is probably because I have cut my oxynorm right down. I thought I would be able to manage the pain but I don't think I'm keeping on top of it now. Did 10 excruciating minutes on the bike, managing full rotations after 6 minutes but boy am I paying for it! Think I might have to try and less standing and wandering tomorrow. This is so frustrating :( was in so much pain last night I took 2 oxynorm when I should only take one but I needed to sleep. Also trying to walk without a crutch but I'm limping so badly I guess that's not a great idea either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Oh I thought I was doing so well but today I just hurt, hurt, hurt. This is probably because I have cut my oxynorm right down. I thought I would be able to manage the pain but I don't think I'm keeping on top of it now. Did 10 excruciating minutes on the bike, managing full rotations after 6 minutes but boy am I paying for it! Think I might have to try and less standing and wandering tomorrow. This is so frustrating :( was in so much pain last night I took 2 oxynorm when I should only take one but I needed to sleep. Also trying to walk without a crutch but I'm limping so badly I guess that's not a great idea either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dear @lori107
You are doing fine, but I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Since you still hurt a lot, it's too soon for you to cut down the oxynorm. Go back on it! Keeping the pain away is part of this recovery and it's quite normal for some people to need the heavy-duty pain relief for 3 months or so.

Do you remember this from the BoneSmart mantra?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
Josephine posted it for you in Post#7.

Go back and read it again, because you hurt yourself doing those "10 excruciating minutes" on the bike.

Try to remember that recovering from a knee replacement is a long, slow process, more like a marathon than a sprint. You can't rush it. And you can't make it happen faster by working hard at it.

In your case, with the setback that you had in the beginning, you might take a little longer than most.

Patience, my dear. You will get there in the end! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lori,
Tykey is right , I have seen my pt twice since my ltkr on 10/04/14 the first session was 3 weeks after op and she gave some exercises to do, but only if there was NO pain, and again yesterday to check I could do the few excercises she gave and to see her again in 2 weeks time. To do the exercises at home ,SLOW and easy does it , as per bonesmarties mantra , if it hurts dont do again.I can walk without crutches inside, go up and downstairs without crutches , and potter about doing a bit then sitting for a bit then sleeping for a bit:heehee:
Justtake each day as Iit comes you'll get there.
Anne

:chillpill:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom