THR Rockin again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet batch two of ice cream in the freezer and this one tastes pretty good. It is mint chocolate chip. I am stealing the recipies from an Internet site...gotta love the Internet for cooking with dietary restrictions because you can find just about anything online. broken link removed: https://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/09/mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream-coconut-milk-decadence.html
This is the website. Basically this has coconut milk, honey, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and grated chocolate. You have to use full fat canned coconut milk...don't know if you have it in oz...the brand I am using is Thai Kitchen. My husband can't have dairy so we are experimenting a lot in our diet and with cooking. Dairy free, gluten free and corn free makes it a bit interesting sometimes.
 
BeckyR ??? I've been home from the hospital for two weeks tomorrow...and am trying very hard to be very good about what I do and how much activity I have each day. I see your surgery date is coming up soon. I hope it all goes smoothly for you both in the hospital and when you get home.
 
nmscienceteacher I'm glad the skin near your incision isn't open and raw. Whew! Hopefully it'll be less red in a day or two. And yum, that mint choc chip ice cream sounds delicious. You're smart to make it yourself if you need special ingredients. Does the coconut milk give it a unique taste? Mint choc chip is my favorite anyway - it's so refreshing, especially during this hot weather.
Speaking of which - what are your temps like now in Albuquerque? We're getting pretty warm up here in Conn., but the humidity hasn't really hit yet. Today was in the 80's, brilliantly sunny and clear. Really nice summer Saturday...

You sound like you're making great progress in your recovery. Cooking, painting, shopping...wow, that's terrific! Keep up the good recovery, it'll just keep getting better for you. Take care!
 
ByGosh, we have had hotter than usual weather and the new pattern seems to be unrelenting hot wind from the west close to every afternoon. We already went over 100 for a couple of days, thankfully it backed off to the more normal 90's. our humidity is rarely over 5-7% so our heat is much easier to take than yours. It also generally drops quite a few degrees at night so it has mostly been comfortable sleeping with windows open and cooler off. We just need rain desperately. Haven't seen it in any significant amount this calendar year at all and last year was very dry also. Our drought is pretty serious.
The coconut milk seems to make the ice cream have a bit more substance. I notice I am content with a smaller portion. The mint was a hit but I think next time I will cut the mint back a bit. It is fun to experiment. I want to learn how to make sherbets this summer. We are using our own honey. We have 6 hives in the backyard so that is kind of fun too.
Had my first really off day...by dinner I figured I would either dissolve in tears, say something hateful, or break something so I excused myself to eat alone in bed...and doze afterwards. I think I got behind on pain meds and had a bit of a hormonal healing blip...but otherwise I feel things are going pretty well. At least I have a pretty good sense of what to expect and don't seem to get as thrown by the sleepless night, or grumpy afternoon. It also really helps that this current batch of hippies is a lively and very interesting group. You really never know what will come up...so it gives me a great sense of support. Hope you have a lovely rest of your weekend!
 
nmscienceteacher, sorry you have hit the blues phase, go with it honey, it doesn't last forever. The medical profession have a name for it - Post Surgical Depression.. My suggestion.. More ice cream.. Love the recipe.. We use a lot of coconut oil, and other coconut products.. We can obtain it from this super Aussie company broken link removed: https://www.kokonutpacific.com.au/NiulifeCoconutOil/NiulifeCoconutOil.php

In fact I am sitting here with pure coconut oil massaged into my scalp to conditioner my hair, growth and shine.. Love my weekend beautifying (not that it works!) time... Gets me into the work mode thinking for tomorrow..
 
Had an awesome day today...Used the cane all day and found that I could get a more upright posture and my gait seemed pretty even. Went to the clinic for a blood test, rode in the car while my hubby ran two errands. Made my own lunch...even cooked a grilled cheese sandwich, visited with two friends who dropped by, started book three of the series by Louise Penny, took a nap, made dinner and cleaned it up, made hummer food and played some candy crush. Best part was that I used the cane all day!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Rockin again
nmscienceteacher, from the blues to an awesome day!!! Recovery really does have it's ups and downs, and you're very early in this recovery. And you know that things will continue to get better and better.


I also feed hummers---and make my own sugar water for them. They are such fun to watch---even my cats watch them---they have learned that they can't catch them so they don't even try anymore. We have only ruby throats here and I am swamped by them when they migrate back to Mexico and South America in the fall. I have about a dozen summer resident hummers every year.

Here's to more days like yesterday :cheers: . Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Second trip to Home Depot you can tell my husband is still in charge of driving and picking the destinations! Lol. We picked out paint for the front door of the house so hopefully in the next few days i can paint the parts i can reach without breaking hip precautions...then Bob will have to finish the rest. I Used the cane again at the store and did well. Even took a short walk tonight with the cane after watering the front yard. Tomorrow is three weeks and I feel that I am doing well...the incision is healing (the darn steri strips sure do itch though...is it cheating to scratch so you lift the edges of the strips? I want them off...sigh) and so far I don't have any outstanding muscle issues. It is a boring and uneventfully recovery and I sure hope it stays that way! I know I am more patient this go round and less worried about getting things done and I think that is helping.
 
haha nmscienceteacher Home Depot, toys for the men in our lives... I have a single long piece of very very sticky tape down the incision, which is welded to the scabs and all the picking in the world isn't going anywhere! I don't know what you should do-- call the OS? Itchy is awful!
Once again, I'm tired just reading your to-do list. But-- I'm off to make a cake and maybe its frosting if the butter will thaw.... can you pass some of your patience to me? :)
 
Gosh nmscienceteacher, sounds like you are doing quite a bit for so early out. Be sure and watch those restrictions. Painting can be a very "active" job. No ladder climbing until released, OK? Ladder climbing can put a lot of pressure on that new hip. Let us know how you get on!
 
No ladder for me. I am actually being very careful to do only what I can reach easily. I stand and paint the outside of the top three rails, sit on a porch chair and paint insides of the five rails on the porch. Do tops and bottoms of three, bottom of top rail, uprights as low as I can reach easily...stand up and do the top of the top rail and start a new section. My hubby will come along later and do what I can't reach easily. I am getting stronger...cause half of a section used to be my limit and now I can do one and a half sections. It is very pleasant out there in the early morning as the deck is on the west side of the house so it stays cool longer. We have a big vitex tree, also called chaste tree, that just popped into full bloom this week and it is full of many kinds of busy bees humming along getting nectar and pollen. It attracts all the different kinds of native bees also so we have a ball watching it and seeing how many different kinds we can spot. The best ones are the great big fat nearly solid black bumble bees that look like miniature B52 bombers. They seem to waddle along even in flight.
I am having fun kind of picking away at the rather overwhelming task.
zauberflöte, as far as sending you patience...wish I could. All I can say is this is my third replacement and I guess I have learned you are better off doing a little at a time rather than too much. Made the mistake yesterday of going without a nap and going eight hours between doses of percoset...found out that wasn't a very good idea! I was a grumpy B. am trying to stretch the time between doses but that was way too big of a stretch for right now. Remember I am facing full time work five and a half weeks from today...so I need to start gently doing a bit more to get my stamina up. Sigh. The balancing act is difficult. I take great joy in the few things that I accomplish and I am also enjoying not being in near constant pain for the first time in years...what a blessing modern medicine can be.
Hope all of you have a lovely summer/winter day. We are supposed to hit 103 today so I need to do any active errands now before it heats up out there.
 
Sounds like you are doing all the right things including pacing yourself. Step by step that stamina will return. Well done!
 
nmscienceteacher ah yes, the ol' deck on the west side trick LOL. Happy painting, and happy bee-watching. That chaste tree looks very similar to my "butterfly bush", which I don't know the Latin of.
Re patience-- when we adopted our first, somebody with three kids gave us a book subtitled "How to treat your first kid like it's your third". it was a great book, and I need similar for joint replacement! I can only imagine how glorious it feels to be not in pain--- enjoy! :)
 
You are doing well nmscienceteacher... Itchy steri strips.. I so remember those.. I also remember how my clothes rubbed them off. Used to find them all over the place :)
 
Poppet ah yes, clothes, aided by fingers...oh so accidentally, are making inroads into my vast collection of steri strips!
Yesterday a friend rescued me and got me out of the house for about four hours. Returned books to the library, went to Jo-Ann's, a giant cloth and craft store where I wandered all over it but also sat and looked at patterns for a while...at at the pizza parlor...a very late and leisurely lunch. Had a lovely time and probably overdid it a bit. Had a wakeful night and actually had to take a percoset around 3, only the third time since I came home I have had to do that. Today I am tired...but I fed the chickens, put the shade cloth up inside their coop where we have a clear roof (nice sun room for them in the winter but it was 105 yesterday and is supposed to be close to that today so we needed to provide shade), cleaned their water, deadheaded some calendula flowers, watered three beds, carefully climbed the big rock steps to tour the hill garden and suddenly my leg decided to stop working! Guess it had had enough...it simply would not swing forward when I told it to! So I got myself inside, am sitting in my recliner with a cuppa iced tea and my overly large butt on ice! I will listen to th,e hip when it talks to me...I will listen to the.....you get the idea!
I generally feel so good I forget I am only three weeks out of surgery and I get a tad overly ambitious. I also want to get back to being able to help more outside because my poor husband is killing himself trying to keep our gardens alive in the extreme heat and wind we are having. It is heartbreaking to see the trees struggling so hard to stay alive. We are all praying for rain.
Starting to try to taper the percosets a bit. Have been taking four a day ...about every four hours and would like to taper down to three...but I don't think today is a day to work on that!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Rockin again
nmscienceteacher, congrats on the stairs---won't be long and you can give up the "death grip" and just hold on to the rail "normally"! These milestones in recovery really help us recognize that we are getting better and better.

Wish I could send you some of the rain we're getting here in NC ---everyday for the next week there's a 50 to 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms---and everyday we get them. Not so hot here--high 80's to low 90's, but the humidity is like having a a hot, wet blanket thrown over you when you step outside. I can't imagine what it's like to have temps in the 100's for days in a row!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Rockin again
 
Stairs... up & down - Excellent feeling isn't it nmscienceteacher!! :yes!: Great way to strengthen the old thighs too! Tell us more about your... your chicks! Eggs??? Yikes it's sooo hot in NM this time of year... hope you, hubby and the 'livestock' keep cool today - no painting!! xo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom