THR Rockin again

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing so blissful as a SHOWER five days after surgery! Pretty sure I am going home today late afternoon and I will certainly do the mental happy dance all the way home. Can't wait to be in my own house and be able to deal with the middle of the night wake ups without being stuck in a hospital bed because a very experienced nurse or tech put the walker far, far away on the other side of the room so the patient can't reach it!
 
:happydance:This will get you started on the mental happy dance! Well done. Please update when you feel up to it!
 
Hi, nmscienceteacher! Welcome to the Recovery side! I hope that you get to go home soon so you can do your Rest, Ice and Meds there! Keep us posted!
I had the auto-transfusion thing, also. The first time I had it, with my first hip 3 years ago, I thought: How cool is that?! I was a Trekkie when I was a kid, and so many Star Trek-like things are now part of our lives... if only they could wave the gizmo over us to heal us, we'd be all set!
 
It is happy dance time....strike up the band, summon the jugglers and acrobats, I am home in my own lovely bed and have been greeted by my best buddy and faithful companion Rosco, our boston terrorist. He was very well behaved once we established that he wasn't allowed to lick my leg.
 
End of the first day at home reality check...
Don't get me wrong...the happy dance is still there but the band is off key and out of step a bit. I had forgotten the sudden swift black hole of energy drain. It crept up on me while I was enjoying some fresh air on the front porch and totally clamped down on me while I got ice, did my shot, took my meds, got the bed ready for the night and dragged myself to the bathroom for a fast teeth brush forgettherestofthebody I am too tired. So that left me with one more task. Get myself into bed, hauling my two ton cement leg in with me...not a pretty site I assure you. A few tears and lots of deep breaths later and I am in bed with a yowling cat outside and my. Hubby doing dishes in the other end of the house. No way am I getting up to let cat in...thank god for cell phones! So tomorrow I will start earlier with the whole night time routine and hopefully work out a better system for getting myself in bed....oh Lordy...I think I forgot to pee! Night ya'll.
 
Back to the up and down nights of joint replacement! Unfortunately hit by a massive migraine. Haven't had one this bad in years. Usually triggered by food and I did have a sandwich in the hospital for lunch so I could have doused myself with corn syrup in the bread. The USA has made some really bad choices in food in the past 50 years and puts corn in everything. Sure creates a miserable situation for everyone who is allergic or sensitive to it. I should have known better. My hip doesn't hurt too badly and my goal today is recover from the headache, do the exercises pt gave me in the hospital, walk a bit and rest a lot. If I feel super energetic my hubby and I will make blueberry muffins...I will sit and supervise and he will be the legs. A quiet day for my first whole day home.
 
nmscienceteacher - that energy drain is a biggie! I agree, start getting ready for bed before it hits. Easy does it now! This is the time to listen to your body and move slowly. Glad you are home safe and sound! Enjoy!
 
Oh boy does that leg feel like a big lump of cement!! I think that last job of actually getting into bed is just so hard and tiring but it does get better little by little and all of a sudden you'll think oh wow actually that's not as hard as it used to be. Best wishes for a great recovery!! :)
 
I have had a very quiet day with lots of water to try to flush my poor toxic body. I had a bad skin reaction to the adhesive tape on the bandage and have pretty large blisters in addition to the torn skin areas. Am treating the torn skin with calendula lotion...any suggestions on how to deal with the blisters?
Poppet I am using arnica gel on most of my left leg, especially where I have bruising and I am taking arnica internally...is there any contra indication for arnica when you are on Lovenox, a blood thinner? Seems to me I did this with my last hip with no ill effects and the arnica seemed to help with the soreness and bruising.
Supervised my hubby as he made gluten free blueberry muffins and blueberry syrup for FIL to use on his pancakes in the morning. The muffins came out pretty well...am looking forward to eating them in the morning with my breakfast. After last night I realized I need more choices and flexibility for sleeping places so a friend and I fixed the spare room so I can get my walker to the correct side of the bed...she did all the work and I supervised. Shelled a bunch of peas from the garden this afternoon...my hubby tells me it is close to the end after three days of wind and temps over 95*F. Peas definitely don't like heat! Am going to provide seated help for dinner than early down to bed so I hopefully hit horizontal before exhaustion hits me.
 
Calendula is fantastic..

I am not a fan of ingesting Arnica whilst on blood thinning meds. There have been a few reports that arnica can cause internal bleeding, possibly due to arnica’s ability to enlarge the capillaries to improve blood flow.

Contraindications, yes, arnica can interact with blood thinners (e.g., warfarin, heparins including dalteparin, enoxaparin,) antiplatelet drugs (e.g., clopidogrel, ticlopidine), and otherr, which most likely includes Lovenox.

I would defintely suggest letting your GP know that you are taking Homeopathic Arnica Pilules - what strength are they?

Stick with the cream until you have finished the Lovenox o be on the safe side :)
 
Poppet thank you so much. I will stop internal arnica and continue with the cream to be on the safe side. I really appreciate you taking time to answer my question and hope you have a fabulous day. Would you like some of my hot dry New Mexico wind shipped your way? We don't usually run in the high 90's till later in the summer...but everything seems a bit out of kilter here and we have a raging set up for the perfect firestorm like you folks had last year.
 
Lying happily on the spare bed with my legs elevated, grapes, blueberry muffin, and iced tea at hand and no desire to move for a while. I had read on different threads that each replacement is different and I am now a firm believer! Tomorrow will be one week from surgery and this hip experience is very different from the last one. Four years ago I hadn't found bonesmart and I remember sobbing my way through every bitter heal slide and dreading them. It seemed as if the pain and weakness went on and on...weeks till it resolved. My poor knee was reactive to every bit of rehab for the hip and flared up constantly.
I spent the year before knee replacement working out with a really creative trainer prepping for the surgery. Lost 50 pounds and got quite a bit stronger. Knee replaced last November and it was no walk in the park but I got back to work in 12 weeks and managed to finish the school year...had my ten day vacation and, bingo...hip two!
This time the surgery was much less smooth but at a week post op pain is minimal, heel slides are a non event and at my first pt appointment I could easily do all the exercises she asked me to try including little baby bridges without much of any pain. The frustration this time is my increased reaction to adhesives and more sensitivity to inert ingredients in drugs.
I have awakened with migraines the past two nights and am pretty certain that I am reacting to corn starch as an inert ingredient in the new bottle of vicodin. The new pills are a different color so it is clear something has been changed. I guess I will have to use the percosets since the slightly cross eyed feeling they give me is preferable to a full blown migraine episode.
The adhesive problem is ongoing...the initial surgical dressing was put on with silk tape...and taken off very slowly by a slightly impatient nurse using adhesive dissolver every millimeter of the way around my 15 inch incision. As careful as she was I have numerous blisters and skin tears. In an effort to keep me more comfortable a thing called an aqua cell was put on. In the hospital it lasted one day and was filled with fluid and blood. A second was put on. It filled in in two days. A third was put on before I went home. It lasted two days, started itching and leaking, and today my husband drove me to the surgeon where they took it off. It was a gooey mess. Evidently my skin doesn't like it and was oozing under all the adhesive area and getting red. I am back home with plain old fashioned gauze and paper tape. At least now I don't feel as if I am trying to crawl away from my own skin. So this hip is distinguishing herself as a reactive young lady but not especially painfull so far.
 
nmscienceteacher Welcome to the road to recovery! As you well know from previous surgeries, it's usually a bit bumpy. But it sounds like you're doing very well in the hip department dispite the other annoyances. You're blistering and raw skin seems to be very irritated, I'm so sorry it's troubling you. Same for the nasty migraines! I'm glad that the actual new hip is behaving itself pretty well for you so you can deal with the other issues a little bit easier.
Keep up with your rest, ice and medications. I hope the headache leaves you very, very soon and that you get some much needed rest. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sending good wishes and healing thoughts to you down in dry hot New Mexico. (It poured here today - I wish I could send some of that your way, too.) Take care, you're doing great!

PS The picture of your cat is gorgeous. What a beauty.
 
Hi nmscienceteacher - I hope the cement leg continues to improve, the migraines are gone as you regain control over what you are eating and taking, and may your skin blisters heal over!
I, too, had horrible, weeping, angry blisters from the dressings. I was shocked - I'd never had that kind of reaction before. So from about a week post-op, I had gauze and paper tape, and a few days after that, as soon as the incision was dry, I went without, per my OS. The skin issues from the adhesive looked a lot worse than the incision for a while! But they healed up without issue, and I hope yours do, also!:friends:
 
@nmscienceteacher I am just catching up with you here-- what a time in the hospital, and that desperate last rush to the bed once home free-- I did that a number of times, even WITH starting half an hour earlier! So, I'm here to tell you, I hadn't noticed it till you mentioned it, but that will go away :) Your skin reaction is nasty-- I hope that you get it under control quickly; I'm sorry it ever had to happen. All these new inventions are pretty cool until one of us who is reactive to one of them comes along.
Will good foods keep the migraines away, I hope? How were those muffins? :)


Aha!! Poppet this is the answer to the question that we can't find on my thread, although I was just asking about the gel. THANK YOU even if it's late, it's perfect, just what I wanted to know :)
  1. I am not a fan of ingesting Arnica whilst on blood thinning meds. There have been a few reports that arnica can cause internal bleeding, possibly due to arnica’s ability to enlarge the capillaries to improve blood flow. Contraindications, yes, arnica can interact with blood thinners (e.g., warfarin, heparins including dalteparin, enoxaparin,) antiplatelet drugs (e.g., clopidogrel, ticlopidine), and otherr, which most likely includes Lovenox. I would defintely suggest letting your GP know that you are taking Homeopathic Arnica Pilules - what strength are they? Stick with the cream until you have finished the Lovenox o be on the safe side :)​
 
Sounds like u r doing well. I was in intensive care after my surgery and had to have 4units of blood plus oxygen and very low blood pressure. After the third day everything seemed to level out. Just took a bit of time. Hopefully u will get to go home soon.
 
Mollyb, I spent 5 days in ICU and 1 day in HDU... Pretty tough going.. Blood transfusions,... The whole kit and caboodle.. So I decided, that I needed to look after myself and take my recovery very slow and steady... It has worked for me.. It took at least 7 months for all the drugs to come out of my system. Hubby said they were pumping me full of drugs every few minutes.. I was unconscious mostly.. Don't remember a thing.. Although hubby said that I did come round one day and asked him to meet my new best friend in the ICU bed next door.. All the family was there.. But apparently I insisted... I also have this fear that I was a complete chatterbox in the OR.. My OS calls Miss Perky! ... What did I talk about - zauberflöte

I have always figured that it would take two years for full recovery for me.. So I don't sweat the small stuff.. I am getting stronger every day and so will you my dear.. Celebrate the little milestones, they are your personal recovery achievements :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom