THR Rockin again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back yard is flooded. Hail up to 3cm across is threatening to break our skylights and our solar panels. We have never had hail go on this long. So much for our gardens that aren't covered...plants will be shredded! Now it is thunder hail! Back deck is covered in hail...good news is all the rain barrels are full and overflowing. Husband is going to venture out to check on the chickens.
 
Ha, ha...chicken coop flooded. We think we got over an inch of rain in less than an hour. We just got as much rain as we have gotten since January 1st this year! Unfortunately this isn't the best kind of rain because it runs off rather than soaking in...but our back yard now has about 3-4 inches of standing water which will soak in in the next few days...my trees will be happy!
 
nmscienceteacher just catching up finally... You are a dynamo! I know people like you, but i have never ever in my life been one, more's the pity. You are going to live to be 100! Take it easy once in awhile :)
Your hail is scary... how were the chickens?
 
That is a lot of rain in a short space of time.. Yes your are right the trees will love the good soak.. Make sure you don't slip :)
 
Haven't been on in ages...am now at seven weeks. Saw the surgeon and restrictions continue but I can go back to work aug. 6. Will meet with my administrator and see if I need to go to the formality of a 504 plan or if we can have a gentleman's agreement for the first six weeks of school that I still need to go slowly as per doctors orders. I laughed when my surgeon asked if I could lie down during lunch...ha, ha..we have under 30 minutes to finally get a bathroom break, have six of use the single working microwave, and bolt down food...sure I have time to lie down, not!
We had a wicked thunderstorm in the middle of the night last night and even though I turned electronics off and shut power done to surge protectors we still heard that scary pppzzzzap from another room in the house when a bolt struck just over us. Sure enough we fried our airport and had to spring the big bucks for a new one today so we could function without direct hook ups to the router. Not money I wanted to spend but at least we weren't replacing fried computers! The storm was very slow moving and very loud. The house was vibrating from the strikes for over an hour...but the upside was we got a decent rain and don't have to water today. No one here dares to complain about rain....the drought is too intense.
I went in to work four days this week for meetings and starting to work on plans for the first unit of instruction. Come home wiped out and in dire need of a nap so I know the transition to full days will be a bit difficult. I remember this intermediate time between the "I really am getting over the surgery" and t he "I really feel better for sure" as a difficult time with both the first hip and the knee...this seems even more difficult with the second hip. I think two joint replacements on six months is getting my body a bit...don't know how all you bilateral folks do it! You are made of sterner stuff than I am. I am noticing increased pain and tiredness so I will find ways to make life easy the first few weeks of school. It is an intense, tiring time on a regular year...let alone after surgery. I haven't been doing much more than lurking lately but my thoughts will be with all of you even if I am not very vocal. ByGosh I am keeping you in my prayers and sure hope for some relief for you in the next few weeks. Try not to lose heart...we all care for you and worry a bit about your struggles.
Pray for rain for New Mexico to get us out of the red zone for drought...and enjoy some green chili sauce on your omelet to spice up your life! It was voted the best iconic American food! Makes the folks in southern New Mexico proud to be chili growers.
 
nmscienceteacher, I am figuring out that which you speak about thinking you are doing better and then feeling the limitation of not being healed yet. Since the one (so far only once) time I crashed and burned from over doing it, I really try to pay attention to my body and how much I have done and slow done BEFORE I start feeling bad. Seems to be working.

I know what you mean about the chilies. I did a bike tour starting in Albuquerque going up to Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Las Vegas and a bunch in between and we went through this great town called Chimayo that had the best chilies, dried, flakes and powder, red and green, and I filled up my jersey pockets with chilies to take home. That region is very well known for the best chilies!
 
Woo hoo new crop of green chili is starting to be roasted in town...so we will smell good for the next few months! It is an acquired taste, but it smells like fall to us here. Our thunderstorm last night had a near record number of cloud to ground strikes...about a thousand between midnight and four am. Guess we were lucky to only lose our wireless and not more.
Two steps forward, one slide back seems to be the way it goes right now...will take your advice MarcoPolo and try to listen to my body as I ramp back up to work.
 
nmscienceteacher I just saw your note to me on another thread and I had completely missed it. I haven't quite got the hang yet of using this board.

Anyway I am SO glad you wrote back to me. As you probably recall, I'm in Albuquerque, too. My surgeries are at Presbyterian Hospital (I have the Presbyterian Senior Care/medicare insurance, so Pres is my only choice). BTW, sign up for the Pres Senior Care plan when you get to medicare age. It is great and covers almost all costs of everything. There are a zillion providers under Pres, and Pres is the hospital I would have chosen anyway.

Mr. Surgeon is Dr. Tripuraneni from New Mexico Orthopedics. I know three people upon whom he has operated and they all said he was great. Also my PC doc says so, too, and my chiropractor, too. So I guess I am in good hands. Regular doc also pointed out that NM Ortho doesn't hire anybody but the very best, and that basically anybody from that practice would be fine. Dr. Trip says I have to have the posterior approach because my bones are thinning and it is the approach of choice with possible "soft" bones. I had wanted the anterior, but I've accepted the fact that the posterior is best for me. Which did you have?

I'm still scared, though not in the absolute panic I was in the beginning, mostly due to this forum and all the kind people I've "met" here, who've made me see this is do-able and I will get through it alive. I did the dumb thing of putting off and putting off facing the fact that I needed hips replaced, until it got to the point I could barely walk, mostly because of fear. (never had any surgery before, except tonsils when I was 5 and that was a LONG time ago.)

So you were pleased with the care at Pres? It is the hospital my family has always used, and I was in there once in 1963 for childbirth, but that was also a LONG time ago (Yikes, 50 years?) Betcha things have changed a lot. How long did you have to stay in the hospital? Were the nurses responsive when you asked for pain meds, etc.? I understand they have a special ward just for ortho stuff.

I'd appreciate ANYTHING you can tell me about your experience there. I have found that the more I learn (except the gory details of the surgery, itself) the more confident I feel that all will be OK. This is all new and scary to me, but I am getting better about it.

Thank you.

Peace and love to you.
 
Woo hoo new crop of green chili is starting to be roasted in town...so we will smell good for the next few months!
nmscienceteacher I don't know what tney smell like, but I know about having a smell cover the whole area-- I used to live in a tobacco-drying city, and while I despise and detest the smell of cigarettes burning, the smell of that fresh tobacco drying is just heavenly to me! Must be like the chilis for you :)

Wow, less than two weeks and back to work! (oops gotta go hubby home from the wars...) sorry...
 
Butterfly would be glad to talk with you by phone if you want. Pres has excellent care and they are very responsive to patient needs. They also have good food...room service model. Pain control was fabulous and they follow up at least once after you go home. They also run a joint replacement class that is pretty informative so you should take advantage of it.
Hope you survived the downburst thunder storm without too much damage. The city got hit pretty badly tonight.
 
That storm last night (well, it was Friday night) knocked out my internet until now, and my power was out quite a while, too. I'll check on your private message. Thanks so much.
 
I am 7 plus weeks out and can now put on and tie tennis shoes...and I cut all the toenails on my left foot-woo hoo that hasn't happened for several years!
Happy tired tonight. I worked in the back yard with my hubby for about 5 hours today...work for a while, sit for a while, work, sit...I pulled weeds, shoveled dirt from the wheel barrow into pots, repotted several plants, swept the patio repeatedly, trimmed some bushes and the lower branches of a tree, herded chickens (I am the Food Lady so they follow me) and also painted another section of deck railing. Walked a total of 6000 steps during the day. It is the most I have done in years! I am currently resting with my feet up (they are sore!) and have slathered myself in Elmore oil...but the good thing is my hip didn't hurt. Hopefully tomorrow I will not discover I have totally done myself in by overdoing it.
All in all a great day. I will plan on a much less physically active day tomorrow. Have one more week before I have to report back to work so I am pleased that some of my energy is returning. Gives me hope that I can survive the first month of school without being a basket case. My husband and I decided that dinners will be lots of slow cooker and soup meals so cooking is at a minimum and I don't have to be on my feet a lot at the end of the school day. We are keeping our morning help with FIL so I don't have to get him going and deliver him to day care at all and hopefully my daughter will not be out of town at all in August and I won't have to take care of the grands and deliver them to school during the first month back.
Now I just have to survive Common core, merit pay, pay cuts due to increased insurance and retirement withdrawals, submitting lesson plans for every unit I teach, and parents who think their child is perfect and can't understand why they don't have an A in science...since they have always had A's in all classes in elementary school...never mind that they don't hand in the work...that shouldn't matter!
Off to bed I go, hopefully I will sleep well tonight and be able to move tomorrow LOL.
 
nmscienceteacher, You are so funny! I read your postings and think "this is my life" when you write about school. Only being able to go to the bathroom once a day, and having so little time for lunch that sometimes I can't even swallow. Everything you wrote about common core and parents who can't understand why their children got questions wrong rings so true for me! Teaching is certainly a unique lifestyle, and only other teachers understand what it is like! Hope this year is a great one for you.
 
BeckyR I was happy to read that you are taking a wait and see approach to when you start back. I hope you are able to balance the need to start the year and honoring your bodies needs...the body needs to win the needs contest this year....but starting with a sub absolutely sucks. I went in today and two of the other science teachers were around and we got chairs arranged and tables spread out so the rest of it I can pick at slowly. Making small steps every few days. Have to go through all the hoops for a 504 plan for disability accommodation so I will get the paperwork for that tomorrow and run it to my surgeon to be filled out.should be an interesting year this year with all the changes. Keep me posted on how you are doing and don't do too much at the start of the year. We will have to trade funny middle school stories this fall...anything for a laugh.
 
Poppet I have never really been a perfume person...but I have decided that Elmore oil is my new go to scent...lol. Hope my 6th graders like it cause I have a roller bottle for my desk so I can put it on during school.
 
I am finding it is magic.. Very impressed :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom