TKR Rob's Knew Knee

Another great day at PT. Turned their bike both ways, measured a 106 unassisted and 118 assisted, did some stepping exercises (reversing the "good up, bad down" lead), and helped my wife do some grocery shopping afterward. Pretty tired after all that, but sure am happy to have documented progress to show my Doc. Pretty sure he'll pull off that MUA idea. Treating wife and me to some pizza tonight. Y'all come on over and join us. :welome:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Rob 68 Really enjoy hearing about your positive progress with your knee replacement. TY for sharing Rob. Sometimes I read about some of the suffering that goes on after knee surgery and I begin to question if actually going through with it is a good thing. Therefore, positive shares like yours gives me hope that it may not be as bad as it sometimes appears. :) Hope you and your wife thoroughly enjoy your pizza outing!!!:):)
 
Good for you Rob! Just avoid mixing the Guinness with your drugs or you may become delusional and think you can do more than you are ready to do!
 
Wow, @Rob 68 ! What is your secret from having trouble with your ROM (and having to worry about a MUA) to zooming to where you are now?? Oh.. or was it @jbrooklyn 's exercise recommendation that you started doing??

Glad to hear of your great progress!!! Nice job, whatever you're doing! :yay:
 
Good for you Rob! Just avoid mixing the Guinness with your drugs or you may become delusional and think you can do more than you are ready to do!
Not on the hard drugs anymore, just 1 Tramadol tablet every 6 hours. I have some Hydrocodon if I need it, but haven't needed it for several days now. And I've limited my Guinness consumption to 1 a week, when I feel I've earned it. So far, so good.
 
Wow, @Rob 68 ! What is your secret from having trouble with your ROM (and having to worry about a MUA) to zooming to where you are now?? Oh.. or was it @jbrooklyn 's exercise recommendation that you started doing??

Glad to hear of your great progress!!! Nice job, whatever you're doing! :yay:
I honestly do not know, except I started doing more at home than I was before the "ultimatum" from my OS. And my PT found a very tight IT band in my quad and massaged the tightness right out of there. That's when I really started making progress. I swear I do not have a secret formula for this, just trusting my PT to do what's right for me and working with her. And I have a wonderful life partner guiding me through the rough spots.

I feel kinda guilty, really, that others are having trouble while it seems I'm sailing through. It has taken some hard work and there could still be some setbacks ahead, but my Doc's pain formula kept me fairly pain-free for the first couple of weeks so I could work through the stiffness. He is very, very good.
 
:flwrysmile:Rafa is 1 month old today. Celebrating by taking in an afternoon movie (latest Mission Impossible) and treating my wife to a day outside the house, at least until fatigue creeps into the picture. Taking the cane as a precaution, even though I can navigate pretty well through the house without it. Can't drive yet, even though I'm off the hard drugs. Next Doc's appointment isn't until Aug. 18, when I expect him to clear me for driving. Will also get my first x-ray of Rafa then; can't wait to see how he looks. Best wishes to all my July sisters and brothers.
 
Congrats to you, Rob, you made it through the first, toughest month with flying colors. You are a big inspiration to us all. Excellent idea to do something your wife will enjoy, since you appreciate her support so much. Sounds good all around, and thanks for the positivity! :-)
 
Wow, I'm surprised you were able to sit through a movie this soon. I think I tried that at 3 months the 1st time and had to have a seat between us so I could prop my leg up. No way could I sit with it bent all that time. My husband wants to go see the Mission Impossible movie but I'm not sure I can handle it yet. Will have to wait until the crowds die down so it have the extra seat it needed. And all those steps to the seats! Not sure I'm ready for that either!
 
Wow, I'm surprised you were able to sit through a movie this soon. I think I tried that at 3 months the 1st time and had to have a seat between us so I could prop my leg up. No way could I sit with it bent all that time. My husband wants to go see the Mission Impossible movie but I'm not sure I can handle it yet. Will have to wait until the crowds die down so it have the extra seat it needed. And all those steps to the seats! Not sure I'm ready for that either!
I always sit in an aisle seat, which makes it easy to get up and stretch every now and then without obstructing anyone's view of the screen. Can also stretch the leg out from that seat (aisle has to be to the left, naturally). My PT has already started working with me on stepping up with the new knee (left) and stepping down with the old (right) knee to strengthen my quads even more. Even so, I will wait until the theater empties before trying those steps; don't want to keep people waiting.

And since this is Memphis, AKA Elvisville, I will request the PA person to announce our departure thusly: "Rafa has left the building." :cool:
 
Monday movie was excellent, but Tuesday PT session was not. Regular PT was on vacation, and the PT assigned to me had her regular patients in addition to me? Guess who got most of her attention? She had assistants run me through the knee stretching exercises first, and then through the quad strengthening exercises before she could find the time to take measurements. Naturally, my knee had started stiffening again by then and I was getting tired. Bottom line: first regressive readings in 2 weeks.

Needless to say, I am not pleased. More later.

P.S. Some good news today; I tried to slip into my little low-sitting sports car and succeeded. Backed it out of the garage and just sat there a while, admiring the feeling of release that little gesture provided. Got out of it okay, too. Doc says I can drive if I'm off the narcotics for 8 hours, so theoretically I'm a free man again.:driver:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Rob 68 - Please don't be too bumped about the numbers.. I'm sure you'll do much better next time. I'm betting it's more an anomaly due to the circumstances than a real reflection of where you are. SWEET news that you can get in and out of your car and that you can start driving!!! I can hardly wait.. though I think I have a bit longer journey to get there, since my knee is my right knee.. Definitely something to look forward to. Enjoy your freedom.. but be careful not to over do it! :SUNsmile:
 
If I can't sleep, I can at least enjoy your humorous thread. I have a couple of questions for you - were you playing tennis up until your surgery? And does your OS feel that you will be able to play after your full recovery?

I used to play in a women's league, although had to have a steroid cocktail before the summer league started. When I changed jobs to the traveling job that I have now, it became impossible to participate in a scheduled league, and for the last 2-3 years I haven't been able to even play a little for fun. I read somewhere recently that tennis is one of the worst sports for knee replacement patients, but I suppose if there's a will there's a way.
 
@Rob 68, why are we not surprised that you have a cool little sports car? :-) It's exciting to think about driving again. Three cheers for that idea. When does your regular PT get back from vacation?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom