Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rob's Knew Knee

Thanks for the Wall--I'll see if I can try that!

Here's one for you to try: Lie in bed, make a raised wedge of pillows, lay your leg on it, cover knee with a ice pack, and read the novel Moby Dick, replenishing the ice pack each time it melts. That one works great, I swear. :-)

Rob, why is your doc expecting so much ROM and pushing so hard to get it? There is no rush, there is no window of opportunity that closes . . . so why the harsh tactics? If your knee is swollen, it needs elevation and ice and rest . . . not sure why the race. You can please disregard if you disagree--I don't mean to poke my nose in--but there is so much anecdotal evidence from the community here that slow and easy wins the race. I'm concerned about taking powerful pain pills to do more in PT. In my brief experience, pushing too hard in one PT session leads to 2 days of swelling and increased pain. What do you think?
 
The Wall. That sounds interesting. I will have to find a bed to try it on, because getting up from the floor would be no fun. Keep up the good work!
You should check with your PT first before trying this; I'm no expert, but it seems to work some for me. You can google "wall heel slides" to see the exercise.
 
Thanks for the Wall--I'll see if I can try that!

Here's one for you to try: Lie in bed, make a raised wedge of pillows, lay your leg on it, cover knee with a ice pack, and read the novel Moby Dick, replenishing the ice pack each time it melts. That one works great, I swear. :)

Rob, why is your doc expecting so much ROM and pushing so hard to get it? There is no rush, there is no window of opportunity that closes . . . so why the harsh tactics? If your knee is swollen, it needs elevation and ice and rest . . . not sure why the race. You can please disregard if you disagree--I don't mean to poke my nose in--but there is so much anecdotal evidence from the community here that slow and easy wins the race. I'm concerned about taking powerful pain pills to do more in PT. In my brief experience, pushing too hard in one PT session leads to 2 days of swelling and increased pain. What do you think?
I see what you did there. Very clever. :yay:

As to the second part of your post, I have no clue why my Doc thinks I should reach 115, but he does, and he's the best knee guy in town. I have a wonderful PT with a nice touch on sensitive areas, so I'm willing to work with her as long as the discomfort doesn't cross over the severe pain threshold. If I get close to 100 by next appointment with the Doc, I'll not let him do the MUA. Believe me, I ice and elevate quite a bit here at home, and I have a lovely wife who takes very good care of me.
 
Got to an assisted 101 today, 90 unassisted. Icing and elevating as I type. For the first time since this journey began, I had trouble sleeping last night. Hope that's temporary. Thanks for holding my hand, everyone. Makes a difference.
 
Sorry to say, but sleep is not in my vocabulary even at 11 weeks! Netflix is great if you don't have it already...think I've seen a bazillion movies this summer.
 
Rob,

I agree, you have quite the sense of humor! It sounds like you are doing amazingly well!! Now that it's been a few more weeks, how are you? Please update!
 
My PT for my first knee told me about the wall exercise. I thought it was pretty good too.
 
Good news for a change. Spent both weekend days doing some extra flexion moves at home, and it paid off in today's PT session. Went from 90 unassisted to 96, and from 101 assisted to 109. Also felt more energetic than I have felt in recent days. Stamina may also be returning.

Numbers aren't overwhelming, but at least I see some progress toward the doc's goal of 115. That seemed a long distance to travel when I was sitting down in the mid 70s. Almost making a full turn on the bike, too; hopefully will see that this week.

Appreciate everyone's kind words of encouragement. Nice to have a support system out there in Internet Land. :console2:
 
Well done Rob hope you continue with this progress.
 
Excellent news... I agree take it easy..... my knees are doing great and I do not push them..... it changes each time I have PT by about five degrees.
 
More good numbers today; 100 unassisted, 112 assisted. Walked all day with just a cane, no walker. Started exercises on strengthening whole left leg, not just flexion. Off tomorrow, back to PT Thursday. May try it without a Hydrocodon. Still have some energy left, too. *crossing fingers and toes* :thumb:
 
Your numbers are good, Rob. Try not to worry about them. If numbers are their "thing", let others worry about them. You're making steady progress and that's what's important.

Your surgeon may want 115, but that's higher than most expect. 90 is usually considered sufficient at 4 weeks out, and you're already past that.
 
Turned the pedals on my home bike today, backward and forward. Having a really good week so far.
 
You can get a peddler off Amazon relatively cheap. Mine was only $20! It's done a great job of loosening me up.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@Rob 68 Love your story Rob!! Full of many positive thoughts and humor. You, are incredibly funny!! Will be watching for your posts and I hope your recovery continues to be just wonderful. :):):)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom