Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rob's Knew Knee

You're a star, Rob!
 
Went to watch my regular Saturday tennis group play this morning, and when they were through, talked one of the ladies into staying late and hitting a few tennis balls my way. She's not very mobile, so we just hit back and forth for a while. I can still hit the ball! Can't move yet, but that will come.
 
Great, Rob! Nice to know you still got it. I know that someday in a few months you will be able to move around the court a bit, and then a bit more, and then you will own it again.

I also want to cop to your influence regarding my new avatar. :-) Can you tell by looking at my selfie whether I've got cruciate-retaining or posterior stabilized? I have Smith & Nephew Legion model.
 
Great, Rob! Nice to know you still got it. I know that someday in a few months you will be able to move around the court a bit, and then a bit more, and then you will own it again.

I also want to cop to your influence regarding my new avatar. :) Can you tell by looking at my selfie whether I've got cruciate-retaining or posterior stabilized? I have Smith & Nephew Legion model.
Hard to say for sure, but I think with a posterior-stabilized knee you would see a post on the bottom tray that fits into a groove on the upper portion of the knee. As I understand it, that post "stabilizes" the knee much like the ligaments that are retained in the CR knee. Did your OS not tell you which version he used? BTW, your knew knees look lovely, *wink wink*.
 
Hey there, Rob--how are you and your knew knee doing? Just checking in.

Nope, doc didn't tell me what model. I asked and he said S&N Legion, but I didn't know to also ask about the PS/CR thing. Next time. Thanks for the info!
 
Still chugging along. Had another good PT session today; the exercises are getting easier each time out, it seems. Helps to have a home exercise room big enough for most of the paraphernalia the PT uses. The more I do things, the easier they get, so I assume that means my strength/stamina are returning. ROM still stalled; I got 114 today on my own, and the PT pushed me to 121. I still think that will slowly come around, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Always saw 3 months as the magic number for actually returning to the tennis court, but I'm beginning to think I may beat that by a week or two. I have been very fortunate so far, but I spent a lot of pre-op time preparing for this, starting in January. Tennis has always been a powerful drug/stimulant for me, but I think y'all already know that. :tennis:

You can likely call your OS's PA and get the particulars on PS/CR. Mine has been wonderful in answering questions along the way. The Smith & Nephew site is good, but it doesn't show how to distinguish between the two by looking at an X-ray. Let me know what you find out.

Catch you later. We've already come a long way. :cheers2:
 
@Rob 68 I wish I could play tennis. I'm 5 weeks out and swelling stops me from motion
I have the smith and nephew legion Oxinium model

What do u have?
How far are you along?
 
@Dearjr Been playing since 1957, with more enthusiasm than skill. It has been an important part of my life for many years. I will be 8 weeks out next Monday, and there is still some swelling, mostly on the outside. It will pass, believe me; just stick with the PT and the plan. Time will take care of the rest.

My knee is also S&N, the Genesis II CR. My OS said he liked S&N's Journey, but the Genesis is better for tennis players - and he has more experience with the Genesis. Was a no-brainer to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping to play some tennis next spring. It's been 4 years since I was able to play
 
Tennis! You're just amazing. I guess I feel about running like you do about tennis . . . but I haven't run in over 5 years b/c of my knees. I would l-o-v-e to get back to it in moderation sometime, but I don't see it in the cards for a few months if ever! I have looked on the S&N site and google search, and think you're right that PS has a post on the bottom that ours seem to lack. I'll ask next time I have OS office on the phone. Meanwhile, you win "best use of animated emojis" award.
 
@jbrooklyn so I see you were a big runner. I ran 25 years and loved it. 2 marathons and 12 1/2 marathons. That's why I needed the new knee. Now that I have one I think I'll take up cycling so it lasts
 
Tennis! You're just amazing. I guess I feel about running like you do about tennis . . . but I haven't run in over 5 years b/c of my knees. I would l-o-v-e to get back to it in moderation sometime, but I don't see it in the cards for a few months if ever! I have looked on the S&N site and google search, and think you're right that PS has a post on the bottom that ours seem to lack. I'll ask next time I have OS office on the phone. Meanwhile, you win "best use of animated emojis" award.
Do you have the MyKneeGuide app on your smart phone? There s a section called "The Knee" and inside that you will see a section on The Knee Prosthesis which shows how to tell on an X-ray which version (PS/CR) you have. You may have to look at the side view to really tell the difference.

Hope both you and @Dearjr get back on the running trails again. Did some running myself a while back, but nothing further than 10K. I really admire you guys who pushed yourselves way out there. :wow:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One more official PT session Tuesday, 9 weeks and 1 day after surgery, and then rehab is all on me. Truth be told, I'm more than ready. Tired of doing the same things time after time, especially when I can do most of them at home without all the distractions of a full house. We have another week of high temps and humidity here - even the short morning walks with our puppy Fiona are rough - before the weather will be decent enough to try some tennis. Anyone else getting tired of their PT sessions?

Everyone have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend.
 
Tennis? Wow!

I was never very good at it, so I wouldn't be upset if I couldn't play again, but for your sake I hope you're able to -- just as long as you do it safely. Your knee is cruciate retaining, so you should have adequate flexion for the game, I imagine. Keep us posted!
 
I hear you @Rob 68, physio is becoming tiresome. If it wasn't for the anti gravity treadmill I would see no point in going. Also, for me, as I don't drive, it costs $46 every day I go for taxi fares. My PT wants me there 3 times per week. It's getting expensive.
 
I hear you @Rob 68, physio is becoming tiresome. If it wasn't for the anti gravity treadmill I would see no point in going. Also, for me, as I don't drive, it costs $46 every day I go for taxi fares. My PT wants me there 3 times per week. It's getting expensive.
Wow, that's a bundle to pay just for transportation. Can you talk them down to twice a week, especially since you're almost 8 weeks out? Only reason I agreed to 3 sessions a week the first couple of weeks was limited ROM, and once we got on track with that, we cut back to twice a week. Now, as you say, even that's getting tiresome. Is your ROM in good shape? If it is, perhaps you can get by with fewer PT sessions. Also, does Canada allow for any in-home PT, taking into consideration your transportation problems? Hope you can get some relief soon.
 
I had three sessions of home PT but now I need to work on strengthening. I need to be work ready by the middle of this month so I have to grin and bear it. If it was up to my PT I would be there every day. Not happening.
 
Rob, my PT keeps me guessing with cool new variations of various exercises. Maybe you jazz up your DIY PT sessions by looking for different ways to stretch, build strength, etc. It should not be a slog. Are you digging the US Open?
 
and the PT pushed me to 121. I still think that will slowly come around, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Always saw 3 months as the magic number for actually returning to the tennis court, but I'm beginning to think I may beat that by a week or two.
Two things, Rob:
  1. If the PT is going to push to increase your ROM, do make sure that he/she doesn't do this to the point of pain.
  2. Three months as a goal for getting back to tennis is really pushing it. Your knee will still be healing at that stage and it won't be ready for the sheering forces imposed by suddenly changing direction that playing tennis imposes. If you start so early (or even earlier) you'll run a serious risk of undoing your surgeon's good work.

It takes a full year before all the internal healing of your soft tissues is complete. If you look at recovery from a knee replacement as a race, it's more like a marathon than sprint.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom