TKR Rob's Knew Knee

Please use your cryo-cuff. That nurse must have been smoking crack. My OS had them put it on in the recovery room and it stayed on my whole hospital stay. By the way, my OS did his training at the Campbell clinic and I hear it has an excellent reputation. We are in good company!
 
@Rob 68 don't you have to put a cloth over your knee first anyway? So I would think if there was any moisture wouldn't that absorb it? And if your incision is covered with a moisture proof dressing - um? how would it get moist? I know mine is going to be covered too - that is what the directions I got from the doctor said - so that I can shower. And this cover stays on for 2 weeks until my first appointment with the OS after surgery. I don't have a cryo cuff - I have a Polar Ice Machine - same thing I am thinking...... I wouldn't not use that. Everyone here uses them religiously for hours!!
we are/will be in the exact same position, except for the brand of product.. Not logical to allow a full shower spray to hit the bandage and then worry about a little moisture that MIGHT reach the already moisture proof bandage. They gave us a couple of ice bags that are supposed to be leak proof. Problem is, no cold gets through the bag, either. I also lookeded at Treypops recovery thread, and he had ample use of the continuous motion machine. I got to use it one night. Sounds to me like it cold be a useful tool to help us get through rehab, but for some reason it has fallen inti disfavor. I hear about tests that show it makes a positive difference in a very low percentage of patients, but what if we are in that group?
Well, I apologize for being cranky today. Perky packed her bags and left me cold during the night. Took all my Guinness, too.:boohoo:
 
My in home PT was more a fan of an old fashioned ice bag than the Cryo Cuff. She didn't think the CC was cold enough.

I've only been using an ice bag lately, at 10+ weeks.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Please use your cryo-cuff. That nurse must have been smoking crack. My OS had them put it on in the recovery room and it stayed on my whole hospital stay. By the way, my OS did his training at the Campbell clinic and I hear it has an excellent reputation. We are in good company!
Don't worry; wearing my rebel hat today and have been hooked up with Miss Cryo for a while now. Also just took a Tramadol; pain still in the nagging area and not the "di-am" stage. Kne too stiff to do much today; maybe the PT folks tomorrow can loosen it a bit.
 
@Rob 68 Excellant recovery so far ,in fact reminded me of my recovery. It was flawless. However at home we dont get to keep the excellent hospital staff with us. Its our job to properly elevate and ice that knee like no ones business. Not to mention taking meds on time all the time. Referee recommended Med Coach as a phone app. It work excellantly. (Hint). Appetite lose and fatigue surprised me the most. My first trip to the rest room felt like a 12 round fight with mike tyson. I was exhausted. I managed to keep my pain below a level 3 during my recovery except that one time with that 1 physical torturist. I mean therapist. And that one and only time. He pushed down and out too hard. I literally jumped off the table. Early on in recovery i took oxy but stopped after 1 week. Got by excellantly with tramadol, celebrex and tylenol. Drink lots of fluids ! Camp out next to the restroom though. Also dont get caught up with the ROM numbers and trying to muscle through this. It can backfire. Be patient. And dont forget the constipation factor, its very real , best of luck, Iceman
 
Good job keeping it real, @Rob 68 . That cute little Rafa is going to get colicky once in a while, but just think how proud you will be when he is all grown up! I am glad to see your recovery going so well. Thank you for sharing your experience.
 
I agree with @iivesfam5, Rob . . . the therapeutic value of the icing probably outweighs risk from a bit of moisture to the surgery site. None of us are medical professionals, so go with your gut, of course.

Med professionals sometimes get it wrong, too. A visiting nurse told me the other day to avoid leafy green veggies b/c I'm on Xarelto--but that is NOT necessary for this particular blood thinner; Google quickly confirmed my initial thought on this.

Hoping each day brings more healing and capability. Sounds like you're doing really well.
 
At 3 days out my knee was so stiff that I never thought it would move properly again! At 9 days out I can already feel it improving. I've done nothing except rest, ice, elevate, gentle PT exercises and very short walks around the house. I haven't missed a meds dose and set an alarm for the middle of the night dose. Sure, there is some pain but it is very manageable. Get the swelling down and the knee will feel easier. Keep up the good work. Cheerio, old chap! (as no Brit I know ever said......!)
 
Hi Rob. Thinking of you. How're things going at home?
 
Hi Rob. Thinking of you. How're things going at home?
Had my first really rough morning. Got a great night's sleep - 7 straight hours - so I got out of bed thinking PT wouldn't be so bad. Changed my mind by the time I got to the kitchen. Pain was at 4 and rising. Put in a quick call to my doc's PA, and told her the pain wasn't to the Oxy level yet, displaying way too much macho male ego. How the heck could I know what the threshhold was? Also asked her if the doc would prescribe something lighter than Oxy, maybe Tramadol.

She asked what I've been taking for pain, and I read her the full list of meds the hospital sent home with me. Turns out the only pain med on the list was Oxy; someone in the chain had indicated to me that the gabapentin they kept shooting through the IV was for pain. Silly me thought that med would be taking ca of the pain up to a certain level.

Bottom line on this episode: took 2 Oxy pills,, slapped the Cryo Cuff around the knee, and waited for relief, which didn't take too long. Lesson learned, the hard way. Those tend to stick with you longer, I think. Going to take my Oxy on time like a good little boy. PT pushed into tomorrow.
 
@Rob 68 -silly boy! I wondered if you were going to be the exception and never have any pain with this surgery. Sounds like you have it figured out now. Stay on top of it, you could always try 1 Oxy or even a half tablet if you think your pain isn't bad, but not taking anything will come back to bite you as I guess you found out.
 
@Rob 68 -silly boy! I wondered if you were going to be the exception and never have any pain with this surgery. Sounds like you have it figured out now. Stay on top of it, you could always try 1 Oxy or even a half tablet if you think your pain isn't bad, but not taking anything will come back to bite you as I guess you found out.
Mea culpa. :bricks: Glad the whole load of bricks didn't fall before I figured it out. Down to 1 Oxy and hope to keep it there.
 
Just told this tale on @iives thread and wanted to share it here. Got the pain in jail with Marshal Oxy's help earlier today, and even got in two light home PT sessions today. A few minutes ago, I was driftinG through an Oxy-induced haze, with Night at the Museum playing on the telly in the background, when suddenly I saw my daughter - the 12-year-old version - running through the Museum, trying to escape the clutches of Atilla the Hun. That Marshal Oxy is one strong character.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom