Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rob's Knew Knee

@Rob 68 sounds like everything is going smoothingly for you. I had a great hospital stay as well. The Doc I had kept me very well 'cocktailed" that I went from a walker to crutches on the first day on my feet. It was very liberating. I came home after 2 nights and did very well until my hamstring decided it didn't like me. So, right now I'm dealing with extreme pain and cramping of the muscle. My ROM and extension is terrific after 2 weeks and if I didn't have this issue with the hamstring, I'd have no issue with the knee. Best of luck with your knee once you get home. Keep us posted.
 
AMAZING - going home this afternoon!!!!!!! WOWZA!!!! I can only hope to be pain free and heading out to go to my home early!!! I would love that!! I hope your whole recovery works out that way!! And yes you are very funny!! Keep up those positive thoughts - they work wonders!!
 
Wow that is Amazing. Just pray that the rest of your recovery remains pain free. Wow I'm so jelious. I know I should not say that. But I'm impressed...

Good luck to you!!! Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Fully expect to hit some pain later on, when the "pain
Relief cocktail" doc put in the knee joint before closing finally wears off. Have plenty of pain killers to take with me for that moment. Couldn't talk him into prescribing Guinness as a chaser, however. How disappointing.:boohoo:
 
Wow you seem to be doing great hope I am as lucky on Friday would love a shorter stay in hospital lol. Hope you continue to have a pain free recovery.
 
Wow you seem to be doing great hope I am as lucky on Friday would love a shorter stay in hospital lol. Hope you continue to have a pain free recovery.
I think Medicare is pushing doctors and hospitals for shorter stays, Deeann, but I can't say that for sure. I saw a couple of knee patients in the halls, and both were having trouble with the PT regimen, which was fairly easy and simple for me. They likely had a different
surgeon or their knees were in much worse shape than mine before surgery. And I'm not out of the woods yet; I expect the pain to knock on the door soon, but I think the doc gave me enough tools to handle it. This has been a great first game, but in a 5-set tennis match, you have to win at least 18 games. I fIgure the pain will win at least a set, maybe 2, but I plan to hold the trophy at the end of the match.
 
I do know that many doctors feel that it is best to get patients out of the hospital sooner due to all of the germs.

By getting out of the hospital sooner, you eliminate some of the risk of infection.
 
@referee54 Quite true, Ref, and I
Should have included that in my post. Forgive my skepticism; used to be a newspaper reporter, and we were expected to be skeptical and, at
times, even cynical. I expect, as in most cases, some of these early releases are based on elements from both scenarios. In any event, I am thankful I chose the doctor who did such a masterful job and grateful that he let me go home early. I was in a wonderful hospital full of gifted and courteous people, but it wasn't home. Peace, brother.
 
Wonderful report Rob! Glad things are going so well for you! Like you, my surgeon said I would be pretty pain-free, and I was skeptical to say the least. (Also like you, I'm a former newspaper reporter!) I truly had minimal pain other than my back spasms from elevating my leg so much. I know most don't believe it's possible, but it is. I wish it were more common. I feel so bad when I read some of the stories here. Continued good luck to you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I have no doubt that insurance is the "tail wagging the dog" and that folks are being shoo'd out of the hospital earlier than before.
I expect, as in most cases, some of these early releases are based on elements from both scenarios.
and I agree---insurance and the infection issues are moving folks home earlier than before.

I remember listening to my mother tell me how long she was in the hospital after giving birth to me, and then, when my wife had a C-section birth, finding out how little time she would spend in the hospital.
 
My OS blames it on infection rates. The hospital I had my TKR in has infection rates much lower than the national average.

Yesterday a friend of mine had gyn surgery that five years ago would have kept you in the hospital 3-5 days. She came home the same day.


Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Wow you seem to be doing great hope I am as lucky on Friday would love a shorter stay in hospital lol. Hope you continue to have a pain free recovery.
We are in your corner, Deeann. Agree I got very lucky in choice of doctors and running into a great anesthesiologist. Stay positive and good things will happen. I truly believe that.:SUNsmile:
 
@Rob 68 so glad to hear everything went well for you. Your story is very encouraging. I'm still terrified, horrified to be exact. Reading your post gives me hope. Every day I think about cancelling my surgery. Tuesday is my day. I have a pre-op class on Friday, glad you are doing great and they are managing your pain.
 
@Rob

Who is your OS? I had my surgery in Memphis also, and live in Olive Branch.

Congrats on the new knee.
 
You really did well, l thought l was good coming out if hospital after 3 days! Good luck with your recovery.
 
@Rob

Who is your OS? I had my surgery in Memphis also, and live in Olive Branch.

Congrats on the new knee.
Thanks. I went with Jim Guyton at Campbell Clinic; knew he was a tennis player who would understand what a fellow tennis player would need to return to the court. After I picked him, I found out his whole family is in the medical profession, most of them MDs in one field or another.
I lucked out on the anesthesiologist; had he not taken a personal interest in me and made the spinal work, I would likely still be in the hospital.

Have to admit that some pain crept in overnight, but not enough for the heavy meds yet. Went through a lot yesterday for the first day after major surgery - 2 sessions of PT (and she really pushed me in the second session); the ride home; several trips through the house with the walker, finding tight spots and other obstacles. So I am resting today for tomorrow's PT session.

One odd thing - the hospital release nurse discouraged the use of my Cryo-Cuff machine until the incision completely heals. She said thE cuff produced moisture that could find it's way to the wound and thus increase the risk of infection. But she also said I could shower and let the water flow on the "moisture proof" dressing covering the incision. That's a tad inconsistent, don't you think? Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Anyway, that's where I am today, calmer and less excted than yesterday and perhaps a little more realistic. Was feeling my oats yesterday and today I'm eating my oatmeal.
 
I used my cryo cuff for my 1st tkr and for this one. In fact the nursing/pt staff actively encouraged it. No mention of waiting until the incision was completely healed. In fact I'm sitting here now with it on my knee and its covering my healing incision.
 
@Rob 68 don't you have to put a cloth over your knee first anyway? So I would think if there was any moisture wouldn't that absorb it? And if your incision is covered with a moisture proof dressing - um? how would it get moist? I know mine is going to be covered too - that is what the directions I got from the doctor said - so that I can shower. And this cover stays on for 2 weeks until my first appointment with the OS after surgery. I don't have a cryo cuff - I have a Polar Ice Machine - same thing I am thinking...... I wouldn't not use that. Everyone here uses them religiously for hours!!
 
Back
Top Bottom