Guest viewing is limited

TKR Robert Johnson's hybrid recovery'

This sounds like a good plan. You're still very early in this recovery process, so I certainly wouldn't consider this adjustment in your walking a "setback." It's just an adjustment in your activity so you're not walking as fast or doing the stress of hills just yet.
 
Thanks Jamie. That's good to know. I appreciate the input. I decided to take yesterday off altogether, ice and rest and I feel a little better already. I'd hate to get a full blown case of high hamstring tendinitis. I read it can take months to resolve.

I'm thinking of concentrating more on the stationary bike for awhile also. My chiropractor thinks that played a big role in having a smooth recovery. And as they say, you gotta dance with the one that brung ya. :)
 
Would someone mind weighing in on the question of how long it takes for Tylenol to totally 100% leave your system. I've already gotten to totally different answers, one from the pharmacist and one from one of the doctors at my primary care office. Actually, three different answers if you include Dr. Google.

I took 3000mg a day every day from March 8th to this Monday April 29th when I took only 2000mg. So basically, I stopped 4 days ago as we speak.

The pharmacist said 1 day, and the doctor's office said 2 weeks since I've been taking it that long. Dr. Google said all kinds of stuff.

Thanks in advance.
 
Well, you've asked the experts. I don't know why we'd know any better.
Why does it matter so much to you?
 
Well, aside from the fact that there's a huge difference between 1 day and 14 days, I guess the only reason why it matters is because of all the warnings about drinking alcohol while taking the maximum dose of Tylenol.

We'd kind of like to get back on the Happy Hour Circuit.

I guess I thought you guys were the experts.
 
Robert, unless you are a binge drinker who plans on having a bunch of cocktails, you should be able to have a couple of drinks with dinner the day after you take Tylenol and be fine. That is assuming you had no liver problems prior to now. The major risk is taking Tylenol and drinking at the same time.
 
Oh, ok, thanks Jamie. I sort of thought that was the answer. Other than Afib, I have no health issues at all.

I figured the doctor who told the nurse to tell me it takes 2 weeks to get it fully out of my system was sort of answering a different question than the one I asked. She's a D.O. and very conservative in her practice. She's not actually my PCP but is at the same office. But she had me thinking it was more of a cumulative sort of thing where it built up in your system over time.

So basically, you're agreeing with the pharmacist, which is usually a pretty good idea.

{No, my binge drinking days ended many decades ago. :sick:}
 
Thanks @Irish471 and I know what you mean. I went through a few boom/bust cycles. I spent many hours in traffic on 680. During the downturns traffic was lighter, during the boom of the 90s it was insane. I can imagine what it must be like now.

We we're there 30 yrs and felt it was time to go.

I had my 8 week OS appointment yesterday, and I'm officially released, although I told him I might want to do my left patella resurface later this year. They'll call me in September to set up a time.

I'm glad to see that you are doing well. It's quite an experience, isn't it. My first surgery in 2010 was the hardest thing I ever did. It never ended. This time I got lucky.
 
It's just an adjustment in your activity so you're not walking as fast or doing the stress of hills just

I think you're right about the hills. We went out tonight and just walking uphill about ten yards from the car to the front door really zeroed in on the pain in the back of my legs. I probably shouldn't even have done that. I think I'm going to stay home for awhile until I get a grip on this.

I rode my bike this afternoon and that felt kind of relaxing, like it was just enough to warm up my legs without putting any strain on them.
 
@robert johnson I’m having a lot of hamstring pain this go round. The slightest hill or really just a slight incline really sets it off. I live out in the country and it’s difficult to find somewhere to walk where there’s no incline.
 
@jboles I know what you mean. It's consuming my thoughts. I've been riding around in my neighborhood trying to plot out a path that has no uphill, but it's almost impossible. All three east/west streets in my vicinity are basically hills (mild hills, but still) so there's almost no way to avoid at least one uphill block. I'm thinking of driving down to the high school and walking around the track. I used to do that all the time in the 80s when I took up running.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one having this problem, not that I would wish it on anyone else.

I was wondering if I should get my electrolytes checked, but it seems kind of far fetched considering I just had blood tests for the operation.
 
She's a D.O. and very conservative in her practice. She's not actually my PCP but is at the same office. But she had me thinking it was more of a cumulative sort of thing where it built up in your system over time.
If it's functioning normally, your liver is very efficient at breaking down and disposing of drugs. It would have to be in very poor condition if it took 2 weeks.

When you take a dose of Tylenol, it's effect wears off in 4-6 hours. That means that most of it has already been processed by your liver.
 
Thank you. That's why I was confused. But I know from experience the doctor who said that is super conservative (my wife sees her).

She's probably thinking about every last trace of the effects 2 months of taking Tylenol, rather than just one dose. I'm only guessing though.

My liver is perfectly healthy so I'm not going to worry about it again.

There must be a reason though why the instructions say to check with your doctor if you're going to take it longer than it says on the bottle.
 
After taking 3 day off walking i thought I'd give it a try today.

I rode my bike for 20 minutes to warm up, then got in my car and drove a few blocks to the high school and walked 2 laps. It's a brand new Olympic style track, perfectly flat. Although I figured it was probably banked so i walked one lap in each direction. Went home and iced by sitting on two gel packs, one running down each hamstring.

So far so good. I don't feel a bit of strain. I think i have to avoid hills for quite a while. At least a month. I'll probably stick with 1/2 mile for at least a couple of weeks.
 
Glad you were able to walk on the track with no problems. A heating pad seems to help my hamstrings more than ice.
 
The first thing I did this morning was put a heating pad under both thighs.

I can't remember where I got it from, my chiropractor I think, but someone told me to end on ice.
 
My OS guidance was to treat yourself like an athlete, warm up, exercise, and then ice. I think you definitely want to end with ice to prevent swelling.
 
That's a good way to look at it. No kidding, just ten minutes ago I was thinking for now on I'm riding my bike prior to walking. My PT started every session with me on the bike for ten minutes, before doing any exercises, so I figured maybe I should stick with that. It seemed to work today.
 
I've found peddling before walking good as well, loosens up my knee and lets me walk more normally. After limping for years I have to work very hard to consciously walk with a normal gait.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom