Guest viewing is limited

TKR Robert Johnson's hybrid recovery'

Well, this is my 1-year Anniversary (:wow::good-bad::kittymilk:), and for the most part I have very little to complain about. Not to say everything went perfectly though. The hip injury (which is what it was) was somewhat of a setback (2 full months walking with a cane), but once the doctor convinced me it was nothing serious, just a pulled (sore/over-exerted) hip flexor muscle and not a tear, I was able to slowly work my way out of it by deep massage with my thumb and forefinger. I'm back to walking normally again.

The way he convinced me was by telling me if it was a tear there would have been an "event"--you know, something you immediately go to urgent care for--and not something where the pain gradually shows up 72 hours after the fact, which it did. Knowing this enabled me to forget about it, and give it enough time to heal.

Regarding my knee, I only have one slight reservation and that's the fact I that have a little less flexion in my right knee than I did with my left. A small price to pay, considering how flawless this recovery was compared to my last. Unless I plop down in a very low chair, like a beach chair, I rarely ever even notice it.

It's interesting how the trade-offs work out, and I can see why the Moderators here stress the fact that no two knees are the same. That's a very wise point to stress. I once asked my surgeon a "how could you possibly not know..." type of question and his answer was exactly that: "Every knee is different, so there's no way to know ahead of time exactly what you'll face."

Reflecting on the recovery, I find it very interesting how things come and go, in a form of slow, or even glacial, change. I remember back to the first two months how sure I was that I had major back problems. I was positive that my lumbar stenosis had gotten severely worse during the years I was walking with a cane, and that sooner or later, I would need back surgery. It was that debilitating for at least three months.

As it turned out, daily walking without a cane turned out to be the cure. Who would have thought? The problem was walking with a cane for all those years. I have no back pain at all now. Maybe once in a while if I wake up on my back, I may notice something for a second or two when I get up, but that's about it.

I still have a small amount of pain walking up and down stairs, but the winter is here and in wet weather I don't think it's fair to form a final judgement. I suspect in warmer drier weather that will go away, since I wasn't really noticing it back in Sep before I hurt my hip.

I'm back to taking daily walks in the evening, and while I'm walking, I almost don't even notice my knees. Even my left knee seems to be better than it was four or five years ago. It probably likes having another new knee to carry some of the weight.

Well, good luck to everyone on their journey, and keep the faith.

Robert
 
What a good report. It's an inspiration for those coming up behind you. This surgery, for the vast majority, is a big improvement in their day to day lives. That's what it's all about!
 
I read through all of your posts, @robert johnson , and found them so helpful. Tomorrow I will be two weeks post TKR on my left knee, and it has been harder than I expected. I guess I thought that the meds would give me more pain relief. I am walking with a walker, and also with one crutch, which I find to feel so normal that it makes me happy! I am also getting around in our small kitchen with no supports, which I try not to do, but sometimes I find myself without the crutch and moving about. My flexion is at 95 degrees or so, and my extension is about 5 degrees, I think. This is a long haul, and reading the one year story from someone is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write your journey for all of us!
 
Thanks @Pumpkln and @sistersinhim . I think we all have to remember that we couldn't even walk before the surgery. That helps keep everything in perspective. I also found that the second time around, I already know it's not going to be perfect, so I'm a little more forgiving. I developed a way of looking at things during the early years on my left knee (which was a much harder recovery), where one day I sort of woke up and thought: Well it's not actually pain. Not really.

I got to that point much quicker this time because I was familiar with the concept.

Thanks for the kind words @TrixieRuby and good luck on your journey. You're at the very beginning but it sounds like you're doing great!! And you're right about reading other threads thru from the beginning. I used to do that all the time in the early months. It puts your own situation in perspective, and it allowed me to see the progression from "very troubling" to "kinda troubling" to the point where they seemed better. I took a lot from that.
 
Hello. I am two years post tkr and living with permanent swelling and burning pain. There is nothing wrong with my prosthesis and I have had scar tissue removed, plus more cortisone shots, which didn’t help. I have full rom and can walk and gently exercise. I am waiting to see a physician for cryneurolysis. you seem to have responded well. Do you have any advice? @robert johnson
 
Vida,
I am so sorry you're living with swelling and burning pain two years post op. I wish you all the best for your upcoming visit with the physician. Unfortunately, this member (robert johnson) hasn't been on his thread for four years and hasn't visited the forum in almost 2.5 yrs, so it is unlikely you will receive a response. Please let us know how your doctors visit goes, but over on your thread. We will be there for support always. Best Wishes, Vida!
@Vida
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom