Knee Infection* Right TKR revision from staph infection<

Oh no! Not what you wanted to hear. I’m so sorry!
 
I am so sorry to read that this has happened to you. Any idea what caused it?
 
I am so very sorry. Hoping its just a small bump in the road for a full revision recovery.
 
@TimeBuster I just reviewed your thread. I know what it is like to get a taste of success and then have it snatched away from you. All we non-success-stories can do is keep trudging along. I know this sounds corny, but I'm adding you to my prayer list.
 
Thanks, everyone for your concern.

I'm angry, I'm sad and everything in between. Sorry folks, I didn't sleep well last night and I'm having a full-fledged pity party this morning. I feel so disgusted with life right now, I have struggled so hard the last seven years with a botched TKR, staph infection, and a two-stage TKR revision in the last eight months to have a normal life and now this.

My recovery was going so well for 7½ weeks. For the first time in seven years I was walking unassisted without pain, then came that dreadful morning that I will never forget, when I got up to get a cup of coffee out of nowhere I felt a sharp pain in my knee that practically floored me. Little did I know then, I ruptured my LCL (lateral collateral ligament).

I got a look at my xray before the OS came into the room. I knew instantly what I was looking at wasn't good. So I was preparing myself for the worse case scenario. Sure enough, as soon as the OS came into the room the dreadful words came out of her mouth, you have a complete tear of your LCL which is going to require surgery to repair it.

She made it very clear, under my circumstances of having a recent TKR revision surgery to repair your LCL is going to be very tricky. We will either use a ligament from a cadaver or we will graft it from your body. The graft is passed through the bone tunnels and attached to the femur and fibula using screws. The tricky part is working around your TKR to attach the new ligament.

Of course, my next question was how long is the rehab.

You have to wear a is a full knee brace. No weight bearing on your leg for 6 weeks and then may progress off crutches and you can start using a stationary bike starting at week 6. You should avoid side to side activities or step-up activities until xrays are obtained at 5 months to verify that there is sufficient healing of the reconstruction graft to allow further activities.

'Okay, Doc from your experience and please be frank with me, what is the percentage of the new ligament working.'
'Under your circumstances, there is a 70% chance of a successful outcome.'

Not what I wanted to hear, so I asked her what would be the next step if surgery to repair my ligament doesn't work. That's when things get more complicated she said, the next step will be a revision to replace the TKR with a new TKR that would stabilize the knee without the use of a ligament. Not what I wanted to hear either.

So surgery is scheduled for July 30. That means that I have to go through all the pre-op beforehand. Who knows how many days I'll be in the hospital after surgery. I'll be honest I'm not mentally prepared for this but I'll get through it somehow.

I always gotta remind myself, there is always, always, always something to be thankful for and that no matter how good or bad I have it, I must wake up each day thankful for my life, because someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.

[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR revision from staph infection<
 
Thank you @DLR I appreciate your ongoing support

UPDATE:

I got a call from my OS a few minutes ago, she said she was thinking about my situation with my knee last night and doesn't want me to wait until next month to have surgery. Instead, she wants me to go to the emergency room this Sunday (YIKES) to the hospital where I had my last two surgeries. She is leaving direct orders with the emergency room to have a CAT scan of my knee and pre-up work done for surgery this Tuesday. She said after all the tests are done she will come to see me and if everything comes back cleared for surgery then it's a go for Tuesday. Which means I will be admitted into the hospital this Sunday.

Talking about anxiety that doesn't give me much time to plan and prepare when Sunday is only two days from today. My one and only priority are to make sure my cat is taking care of, everything else can wait until I get back home.

Dang it, I don't have Bonesmart app on my phone. Okay make that two priorities LOL
 
one less thing to worry about. I'm bringing you this message from my bonesmart app LOL
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
I use bonesmart.org on the browser on my phone. I think it's easier cause it's almost just like it is one the computer.

I think going in so quickly for surgery is a great thing. You are going to get it over with and then can get on with your recovery!

If you were close enough I'd gladly take care of your cat! Is there a neighbor that can help? You can leave a cat for up to a week with lots of dry food and water and litter boxes. I have 8 and leave them for up to 4 days.
 
what is the percentage of the new ligament working.'
'Under your circumstances, there is a 70% chance of a successful outcome.'
Actually, I would say she is being rather pessimistic. Cadavaeric grafts work very well.
That's when things get more complicated she said, the next step will be a revision to replace the TKR with a new TKR that would stabilize the knee without the use of a ligament.
Do please remember that the 'things get complicated' issue is about her work not your recovery.
I always gotta remind myself, there is always, always, always something to be thankful for and that no matter how good or bad I have it, I must wake up each day thankful for my life, because someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Oh bless your heart! That's a lovely thing to close on!
 
Well, I'm packed and ready to leave to the hospital.

Am I nervous, heck yeah, who wouldn't be with such short notice but I'm also ready to get this over with so I can have my life back.

I'll try to post updates if I can.

Wish me luck :fingersx:
 
I hope everything goes great with your surgery. This came quick, and I'm sure that's brought a lot of anxiety, but I couldn't imagine having to wait until the end of July to start moving forward. You'd have had all that additional time to stress and worry, and you would have pretty much been in a holding pattern. This way, you'll get it done, and be that much closer to where you want to be. Hopefully this will be the first step to get things going in the right direction. I'll be praying for you.
 
It is sudden, but it may be better than waiting 5-6 weeks to begin the process. Praying that all goes well and you’re in the 70%!
 
Hang in there Timebuster! I am thinking of you and praying for you to remain strong and optimist - this thing won't get YOU down! You are not alone - we are all pulling for you.
 
What a ride @TimeBuster. I'm glad your surgeon is aggressively on your side making things happen and you're definitely in my thoughts as you wait. Waiting is one of the worst parts.
 
made it through with flying colors. surgery lasted 3 hours. icing but I'm sure as soon as the nerve block wears off I'm going to be screaming. making sure I get my pain meds every 4 hours. still a little dizzy from the spinal anesthesia well post more later
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom